Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

You’re right, though I’ve already thought of that, Pascal - the cardboard only really grips the hull tightly below the waterline, well below any PE scuttles.  In theory, that ought to be OK.  As things progress the risk of damage to things that stick out (aerials, boat sponsons, etc.) will be much higher with a loose hull and clumsy hands, far outweighing the risk of a scuttle being dislodged by cardboard.

At least, I hope so!

• Like 6

Just to put Pascal’s mind further at rest...

50771095808_cd1e574515_b.jpg

A milestone today as I fitted something that wasn’t a scuttle or weld seam (still plenty of those remaining, but a change is as good as a rest!)...

Ta-Daaah!  The first section of the de-Gaussing coil:

50771956927_67ce7c85a6_b.jpg 50771841606_6464cf52bb_b.jpg

Hard to get even, but luckily the original was pretty wobbly in places too!

Ark Royal stern detail (?painting?)

Busy tomorrow, but more soon

Crisp

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

Starboard DG coil now extends as far forward [not aft as originally posted] as the seaplane crane - 5 sections of Tetra brass (& a huge improvement on Merit’s original styrene):

50780523792_e40f994c87_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 21

I don’t know how well you can see this, but the starboard DG coil now extends from this point (beneath the front of the island) all the way to the stern.

50787913752_49906c8f48_b.jpg

Not for the first time, kudos to Tetra, whose engineering is superb.  Getting the geometry right as the coil curves round the 4.5” sponsons (compound curves a go go!) cannot have been simple, but they make it look easy:

50787808551_d58f02fc07_b.jpg

Sorry - not the greatest photo, but the compound curves I’m talking about are under the left hand / further 4.5” sponson.  The DG coil actually runs along the railings of the upper opening you can see in the distance, so that gap will have to wait to be plugged.  You can see it quite clearly here - or rather the gap beneath it is obvious [IWM photo]

Ark Royal starboard bow during sinking

I’ve also glued some actual styrene today; the port boat deck will need some fettling to remove seams, so put in now.  No photo, so you’ll have to take my word for it!

Happy New Year, everyone!  More soon

Crisp

P.S. Perhaps more clearly visible here (again IWM)

Ark Royal 3 starboard side close-up in Pompey

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Just love the level of detail you're putting into her Crisp, stunning.

Stuart

I have to agree with my once submarinal colleague (thats once a submariner, still a colleague), stunning stuff.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So you've goosed (boxed) an Ark and gotten degaussed for New Year eh?

In, may I add, an exquisite and measured series of updates that give us a real sense of involvement with the vessel and all her secrets. Unmissable.

On 27/12/2020 at 16:32, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

we are gradually approaching the point where some paint might appear

Magic tricks as well!

HNY Crisp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Happy New Year Crisp, she wears that etchy stuff well and is becoming very imposing.

Paint next?

Almost a sense of loss here as I am enjoying the embellishment stage immensely.

Oh well I suppose I can take it if you really have to...

Lessons about aircraft carriers 138

If the big ship got caught in a big sea, which of course I know they did, and sea water flooded into those silly big holes in the nose how does said big ship avoid filling up with salt flavoured wetness?

Does the water reach only just inside and then flow out of the back windows/holes?

I suppose it may have provided provender for the galleys.

*please note this is not a trivial time waster, I really do wonder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The shear quantity of brass involved in this build is rather impressive - and neatly deployed too! I'm really looking forward to the painting stage, Crisp - masterful job! :worthy:  :clap:

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

You’ve answered your own question, Bill: in water-tight terms, the openings are just slots into the hull in which things like boats and paravanes are stowed without sticking out of the side - the water simply flows out again via the scuppers (drains), because the real boundary between wet and dry is the inner wall of the slot.  [P.S.  just read your post again, and you specifically mention the holes in the nose (bow!)  The answer re flowing out again is the same, but this is what we’re talking about (Ark 3)

49806223492_db322de288_b.jpg

... and here a couple of examples of it coming out again (Hermes)

Hermes in heavy weather

Hermes in heavy weather

There is still a fair amount of embellishment to go before I run out!  But some paint might not be that far off, at least once the port side of the hull has caught up with starboard.  All joking aside, the order in which things are to be done has been exercising my mind a lot recently.  The paint scheme is quite complicated, because of the extreme weathering that much of her upperworks showed by 1941 (see sinking photos for evidence) - so it will doubtless involve chipping, oil dots, masking and the like.  But there are numerous sticky-out-nesses yet to add - boat davits, W/T aerial brackets (not the aerials themselves), and the like - which are brass and delicate.  Add them too soon and damage during handling is almost certain: add them too late and fixing them in place on top of paint will be challenging.  The answer will be case by case - but a lot of thinking is going on at Schloss Crisp

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Crisp, seeing that photo reminds me that I have seen it (or a close relative) before.

I did kinda realise even admirals aren't so daft they would order accidentally sinkable vessels, just without precautions but that photo you posted of the gaping holes in Ark's front prompted my query, I couldn't really see the bulkheads deep inside.

Maybe better go back for a deeper examination...

👍

7 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Yes, but even she was at least partly built as the result of political lobbying by someone with a huge axe to grind (Cole, who’d patented the turret design) backed up by lay “experts”...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Starboard DG coil complete (except for the section on the railings midships, which will have to wait a while!):

50790935197_3a65ea7af0_b.jpg

Incidentally, if any of you are still wondering whether all this brass is worth the effort, compare Merit’s original styrene for’d searchlight platform with Tetra’s... 

50790935187_c5a0d810c3_b.jpg

No contest!

• Like 10

Sometimes you wonder why designers decide not to bother with items that are pretty clear & well-documented.  A case in point is Ark’s bow, where she had a prominent siren (billed on the drawings as a “Typhon steam whistle” - I presume a trade name) and an angular box structure which held a pair of steaming lights... clearly visible here in Pompey in late-1940 (since I am depicting her in heavy weather after a long time on the high seas, I will not be building the paravane chains, thank God!):

48359845912_ee1d62e77e_b.jpg

Both the base kit and Tetra’s generally comprehensive detail-up set are completely silent on both of these items, so it’s scratch building time.

The siren was built from a pice of styrene rod inside a styrene tube, glued last night and with Mr Surfacer dripped into the gaps and left to cure.  [As always, really nasty in extreme close-up]

50795376173_e9e9dac557_b.jpg

Then today the shaft was gripped in the Dremel and a needle file used to produce a bell-like opening... then trimmed to fit the flare of the bow:

50795376193_9a326e51d2_b.jpg

The steaming light box is rather more complicated.  I will be using Micromaster Vickers 0.5” machine guns, which means I have some unused brass disks of a suitable size (tiny!) - part of the PE magazines which I will not be using.  Also last night, two of these were fitted to the end of some sections of styrene rod:

50796243787_b0e19df21f_b.jpg

Then today the three parts were glued into a sandwich, leaving brass semi-circles sticking from the end, and then filed into something approximating the right shape:

50796243722_213c64594d_b.jpg

All of which leaves us with this:

50796123801_9beaf319c1_b.jpg

50796243767_d918eccb53_b.jpg

The steaming light box is a bit crude and not quite the right shape, but you can really only see that in bonkers close-up.  This is probably a bit fairer to me; taken from about a foot away:

50795494943_399201e626_b.jpg

Happy with that.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 11