Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

And now we’re onto the curvy welds and stuff under the round down - based on the drawings:

50696193176_c318c28b02_b.jpg

...and photographs:

50696193201_5402b144de_b.jpg

I removed Merit’s molded detail ages ago - I can’t actually remember what was there, other than the fact that it was wrong!  The red is Slater’s 0.01”, being the weld seams, and the white the replacement rib.  The photo shows that the three vertical lines were actually rails standing proud of the surface (to allow sailors to pull themselves inwards to get access the painting the underside - Ark 5 had something almost identical under the ski jump flare).  Theoretically you could do this with PE, but I’ve drawn the detailing line for once!

50696278327_e7a231b6e3_b.jpg 50696193181_40cf025a70_b.jpg

Pretty happy with that.  The glue (TET) looks a right mess this close-up, but once fully cured it will clean up fine.  Capillary action not always fully controlled!

On, on

Crisp

• Like 21

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Brilliant! Very much looking forward to the final assembly  :clap: :tasty:

Ciao

So am I Giorgio, but let's not rush the man ...... he's FAA after all, and will want to do a proper job, as is evidenced here. Page 58 being my witness!

Excellent work on those weld beads Crisp.

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
Spelling mistake!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 15/12/2020 at 19:58, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Starboard side rear half welds complete - now just need cleaning up once everything cured completely 

50724054612_fddb0ae7a1_b.jpg

I wonder, during those dark hours before the twinkling of the dawn stars, whether I did Crisp a favour introducing him to Slater's finest er, fine.

I suppose on balance.

No!

Looks awesome Crisp.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely yes, Bill!  I always had it in mind that I had to replace the welds that had been sanded away; they were such an obvious and distinctive part of the real thing that I really didn’t want to leave them off.  My experiments with brass (Flyhawk do some PE weld strips) and Archers resin transfers on the island showed that it could be done, but that was a short length - the thought of using those for the entire hull was daunting.  I’d seen @efoeth’s work with stretched runner on his Hood masterpiece, but doubted my skill in producing so much thin stuff of consistent gauge...

You gave me the solution!

P.S. I haven’t yet tried it & I’m not sure how it will take to tight bends, but it might even help with the hydraulic pipes on a certain 1/48 rotor head which I know is dear to your heart!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

P.S. I haven’t yet tried it & I’m not sure how it will take to tight bends, but it might even help with the hydraulic pipes on a certain 1/48 rotor head which I know is dear to your heart!

Tis indeed brilliant stuff. Re your hydraulic pipes, fuse wire can also assist with stuff like that. It tends to do as it's told on the bending lark! Can't think what 1/48 rotor head you might be referring to, even with my very long memory!

Terry

• Haha 4

Sorry for silence.  Family stuff, so busy with real life.

Normal service will be resumed soon - in the mean time, a Happy Christmas to all of you, and here’s to a 2021 that’s an improvement on 2020 (which wouldn’t be hard...)

Crisp

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Happy Christmas to all of you, and here’s to a 2021 that’s an improvement on 2020

Happy Christmas to you too Crisp, and I'll drink to an improved 2021, in fact, I've already started!. We might even get that Boscombe & Wallop idea going eventually, when the world returns to a semblance of normality!

Cheers!

Terry

• Like 3

I know it's been a crap few weeks Crisp but today is a time for anticipation and happiness so I will be raising a jar of Bavarian cheer to you and you family.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the pleasure trips we've already been on together, looking forward to many more great sea miles as a gang.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

🥃🥃🥂🍻🥃🥃🍻🥂🥃🥃 

• Like 4

No modelling as such, but we are gradually approaching the point where some paint might appear and thus I will want to minimise handling the hull - but, as previously observed, this thing is BIG so I needed to improvise some sort of rack or similar.  This year since there were so few of us we had a goose for Christmas dinner, which arrived in a very sturdy cardboard box; so sturdy that carving out the Ark-shaped slots in the ends took me well over an hour with a (manual) jig saw and a profile gauge.  None the less, I am pleased with the result:

50767133511_7766217177_b.jpg 50767133501_dbf8f7f752_b.jpg 50767133521_fc69e217ee_b.jpg

• Like 12