Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

22 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

As Beefy says, its great to see this one back.

Sorry to hear of the Covid cases at work. It seems the more time goes on, the more we hear of cases with people not too far removed from us. Inevitable I guess. We had a dying car about 18 months ago. A 5 series BMW which my wife had had since new - 23 years then. It finally became too uneconomic to repair, due to the tyres, which were metric, and largely unavailable now, so we bought a new car! Hope you get yours sorted and you get some mojo back. I've had a bit of mojo lacking lately, but it's coming back again now....

The boats look primed and ready for action, go for it!

Terry

In our case a 16-year-old Audi TT with 165,000 on the clock.  We’ve been expecting this for a while, but the money we need to spend to make it safe (and pass MoT) no longer really worth it.  

Visiting yours & @Martian’s neck of the woods tomorrow morning to check out the next chariot

• Like 3

Well 165,000 is not bad, our old beamer had close to 190,000, but a bit older. To be honest, the engine seemed almost as good as new!

So I'm guessing somewhere in Poole for the next chariot. Lots pf main dealers there. Shame about all this Covid stuff, we could have met and had a party!

Terry

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Well 165,000 is not bad, our old beamer had close to 190,000, but a bit older. To be honest, the engine seemed almost as good as new!

So I'm guessing somewhere in Poole for the next chariot. Lots pf main dealers there. Shame about all this Covid stuff, we could have met and had a party!

Terry

Poole Audi.  S1 pocket rocket

• Like 3

Boats basically now done, with the exception of the Admiral’s Barge (not in shot), which needs redoing.  The crutches on which many of them sit still need painting, & they’ll get a light wash when everything is dry.

50560467891_c5b833378b_b.jpg

Since I have precious few references, most of this is guesswork.  

More soon

Crisp

• Like 20

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Since I have precious few references, most of this is guesswork.  

They are gorgeous!

When I was serving (admittedly in SADF) there was very little brightwork, though. We existed in the "If it moves, salute it, if it doesn't, paint it" paradigm and most of the original WWII ship's boats I've since seen (apart from launches and the like) in "the flesh" as a curator tended more to the "paint it grey" perspective. Nevertheless, please don't change them!

Maurice

• Like 1

I agree with you, Maurice; baint no brightwork on these - I’ve used grey, black, and three shades of brown.  The exception will be the Admiral’s Barge, which will gave a dark blue hull and a little more bling.  Yes, it was wartime, but I’ll lay you money that some if those 1930s RN “a ship is known by her boats” attitudes died hard

• Like 2