Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

Thanks, Richard; I had previously believed (as I think had Ian) that the port pom-poms weren’t fitted until after the Bismarck action.  A&A documentation is pretty conclusive; fitted in Gib about a month pre-Bismarck, then.

I see 2 further sessions of intricate Tetra brass-wrangling in my future; I currently have 4 complete pom-poms.  Ah well; adds more visual interest!

• Like 10

It also changes things as far as the photographic evidence is concerned. I have an original photo, taken from an aircraft that has just taken off, showing 12 Swordfish on deck armed with torpedoes. The port side pom-poms are in place.  I've just checked the log details as recorded by Naval History net and the only time there is a record of 12+ torpedo armed Swordfish after April 21 is during the Bismarck chase.  An Interesting detail revealed by the photo is the bow round down between the two catapults has the starboard third overpainted in a very dark grey. It also looks like the starboard catapult mechanism is exposed at the bow end (and I assume not functioning).

Edit

Crisp has pointed out that it's the cradle on the starboard catapult. Once you've seen it, impossible to mistake for anything else... One of the drawbacks of very high magnification. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks, Richard; I had previously believed (as I think had Ian) that the port pom-poms weren’t fitted until after the Bismarck action.  A&A documentation is pretty conclusive; fitted in Gib about a month pre-Bismarck, then.

I see 2 further sessions of intricate Tetra brass-wrangling in my future; I currently have 4 complete pom-poms.  Ah well; adds more visual interest!

In case it makes any visual difference, the two fitted in April 1941 were Mk VIA mountings with Mk VIII "low velocity" guns. 

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, iang said:

It also changes things as far as the photographic evidence is concerned. I have an original photo, taken from an aircraft that has just taken off, showing 12 Swordfish on deck armed with torpedoes. The port side pom-poms are in place.  I've just checked the log details as recorded by Naval History net and the only time there is a record of 12+ torpedo armed Swordfish after April 21 is during the Bismarck chase.  An Interesting detail revealed by the photo is the bow round down between the two catapults has the starboard third overpainted in a very dark grey. It also looks like the starboard catapult mechanism is exposed at the bow end (and I assume not functioning).

Any chance of seeing this photo, please?

Edited by RAF4EVER
forgot to be polite

1 hour ago, RAF4EVER said:

Any chance of seeing this photo, please?

Normally I'm happy to share, but not in this case.  I've an unpublished manuscript on 'Air Attacks on Bismarck' (with Mark Horan), and intend to use the photo in the book. Sorry.

• Like 5

OK,thank you for your reply

12 hours ago, iang said:

Any chance of seeing this photo?

Edited by RAF4EVER
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not for the first time, I think I have finished to two side views; still working on the plan view - these are amended as per the discussions above re port side Pom-poms etc - so as far as I can work out, show her as she was at the time of Bismarck action.

Ark Royal 3 starboard side

Ark Royal 3 port side

Plan view follows!

Crisp

• Like 20

• 1 month later...

Crisp

I hope you are getting the point that everyone thinks your build is amazing.   As you know I have been using your build history to help me on my 1/600 Ark Royal.   So, I have a question on the scuttles.   There are no 1/600 scuttles on the market (unless someone knows different) but I have bought a set of Eduard USN 1/700 scuttles.   My question is: what is the size of the of the "glass" in your 1/350 model scuttles, or what are they at life size?  I have done a couple of trial drill outs to 0.5mm which means 300mm full scale.  They look a bit small though.   Kitchentable

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:09 PM, kitchentable said:

Crisp

I hope you are getting the point that everyone thinks your build is amazing.   As you know I have been using your build history to help me on my 1/600 Ark Royal.   So, I have a question on the scuttles.   There are no 1/600 scuttles on the market (unless someone knows different) but I have bought a set of Eduard USN 1/700 scuttles.   My question is: what is the size of the of the "glass" in your 1/350 model scuttles, or what are they at life size?  I have done a couple of trial drill outs to 0.5mm which means 300mm full scale.  They look a bit small though.   Kitchentable

The bad news… is there is more than one size.  Having said that, the vast majority of them are the same.  I’m not at home as I write, but I’ll do some measuring over the weekend and get back to you.  I’d have thought that the visual difference between 1/600 & 1/700 would be too small to matter, especially since yours would be if anything slightly too small - better than too big.

• Like 1

@kitchentable I have measured the PE scuttles as accurately as I can.  Most of them are c.1.35mm external diameter (not including the 'eyebrow' water channel above the scuttle), and c.1.1mm internal diameter.  The small ones (for which I am pretty sure I used 1/700 PE) are c.0.75mm external & c.0.55mm internal.  [If I were you I wouldn't bother with 2 sizes at your scale!]

Hope that helps

Crisp

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Just found this on You Tube:

Haven’t watched it yet, but there’s sone extremely dodgy colour choices in the colourised still that shows up…

Thanks.  Haven’t watched it yet, but whoever did that colourised photo needs to have a strong word with himself; some highly dubious colour choices,

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
Correcting my own ineptitude
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2023 at 9:00 AM, perdu said:

Just wondering how's things Crisp?

Heavily tied up in real life nonsense - the legal dispute with my employers - plus I want to finish the Sea King build before I pick up Ark again.  When I can carve myself some time at the bench, there’s probably only a couple of days’ work left (I have started the decals and she will only need a small amount of weathering)… but I have to fight my way out of legal papers, briefing people like @Fritag, redacting hundreds of pages of my medical records, and all that malarkey.  It’s not a mojo issue, it’s just time.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear of your troubles with your employer Crisp. I'm hoping all come out to your satisfaction. Life is sometime a little r a lot tedious.

I'm sure you will get back to this and your other builds soonest.

Colin

• Thanks 1