Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

2 hours ago, dickrd said:

EJ, I read the lowest draught mark on the ship in your photo (PoW) as XV

The lowest draught mark on HMS Ark Royal at launch was XII. I have no image later than that from which to judge if this was ever altered but I suggest that this would have been unlikely.  

Seems highly unlikely; no warship in history displaced less as her life progressed!  We're always adding stuff...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

My upper edge looks a bit lower than Jamie's when you look at the relative position vs the lowest row of scuttles, but not wildly so.  What do you reckon, chaps?

OK, I think I have it sorted. The upper edge of the boot topping was halfway between the XXX & XXXI marks from launching up to and including the photos taken from Kelvin in November 1940.

By the time of the photos taken from Sheffield April & May 1941 the upper edge of the boot topping cut through the midpoint of the XXXIII mark. So the boot topping was 2' 6" wider then. 

The top of the boot topping remained at this level at the time of her sinking that November.

One hazard encountered is that the full range of the draught marks was not always painted white, the uppermost ones sometimes being left HFG. Furthermore, how many were left HFG varied at different times! 

And finally an apology. It was the bottom edge of a draught mark numeral that indicated the vertical distance from the keel, not the midpoint, so a measurement in my earlier post above was 3" out! (Edit: As this thread has become something of a go-to Ark Royal reference I have now deleted the erroneous measurement.)   

Edited by dickrd
  • Haha 1

Lest anyone think it's all gone a bit quiet again, I'm continuing to work on the drawings while I am away from home with work.  Island pretty much done (still a few details on the mast platforms, plus the Pom-Pom sights to sit inside those buckets).  Note also that the boot topping is now as indicated for the May 41 time period - thanks to @dickrd for the research! 

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 08.41.06

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 08.41.17

More soon

Crisp

• Like 18

On 1/13/2023 at 4:59 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks!  3” out?  That’s ruined the whole model…

Wow, that's a whopping 0.2 mm in 1/350 scale, you'll have to seriously reconsider restarting from scratch 😉

Seriously though, this is a stunning project, so glad to see it back on the go 👍

• Haha 4

Great to see you back working on this Crisp.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hat tip yet again to @TheBaron, whose use of PureRef in his Vixen epic has finally inspired me to start sorting my Ark photos and copious notes into some sort of logical order;

Good thinking.

If you’re a Mac/iPad man (you are aren’t you?) the latest Mac OS/iOS have introduced Freeform, which is a ‘moodboard’ type App.  Jolly good it is to; especially in conjunction with the iPad/Apple pencil.  Here’s a screen print (sorry about besmirching the thread with an aeroplane - esp. a land-based one): 

y4mTrs5UmYCQ24ZNA6epK-LH-EL5koYYZjNPMd7S

Edited by Fritag
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ooh yes - good thinking.  I am indeed a Mac-head (if it were up to me I would never touch a Windows machine again), and though I have read about Freeform I haven’t actually tried it yet.

But those are the worst pictures of Ark Royal I’ve ever seen; the entire ship is obscured by a Defiant.  Useless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

9 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Nice to have you back, even if it is the drawing bench and not the workbench.

With this build, the former is an important stage in not wasting time at the latter.  I’m at the stage where I need really nail down exactly what I am building (especially on the island, which we have barely looked at yet - but also in the hull openings / boat bays, which will be my next focus). Merit provide a blank canvas, but I don’t want to waste time building things that I then realise are wrong.

• Like 6

Seems like a nice set with one 35ft fast-motor boat variant I do not recognize; not the seaplane tender but the one with the modified cabins compared to the others. Is that the British Power Boat tender?

Yes, I have seen that - but forgotten to order yet, so thanks. 

Shout out today to LMG (Laser Model Graver - www.lmgin.ua) of Ukraine, who have managed to ignore minor issues like being at war to deliver a ship building jig:

52672551087_7121eeaec8_b.jpg

Very happy with it - not cheap but worth every penny. 

More soon

Crisp

• Like 22

That jig looks like a seriously neat piece of kit, and Ark Royal is starting to look the part.

I noticed a number of vertical cross/angle braces underneath the base itself, and couldn't at first work out why they were there (as single uprights) but I can see from the website that there are number of cross braces connected. So it appears to be pretty sturdy?

Looks like they produce a lot of useful jigs and storage solutions, but the most innovative looking object I spotted was the "feeder system for accelerated loading of magazines", switchable between 7.62mm and 5.45mm of course!

https://lmg.in.ua/en/product/wa-01-universal-magazine-feeder-5-45-7-62-39/

Incredible!

Terry

• Like 3

Yes, it’s very sturdy.  Needs to be, really; it reckons it’s designed for 1/200, 1/350 & 1/700 ships.  Ark is not small - hull over 2’ long - but it copes nicely; good & stable (blast; I sound like Theresa May!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Back end pretty much done (indeed, Starboard side pretty much done); all that remains is to insert those characteristic welds - and every set of plans I've seen so far doesn't agree with the photographic evidence.  Also to finish the assorted grilles and vents, currently outlined in red (purely from photos; no plans seem to bother with these, and they're one of the main reasons I'm doing them!)

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 19.46.04

More soon

Crisp

• Like 9