Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

So if I have understood you fully, the Moravia protective (reapplied 6 months before the time I am de;icting) was red, and the anti-fouling on top a neutral grey?  If so that gives lots of creative opportunities!

I’ll take a look at the grey on the FAAM Indomitable model as a starting point.

Thank you so much, Richard; invaluable info.

• Like 1

I see where you are coming from but:

Unfortunately the 1940-41 edition of the Rate Book shows that Moravia had started supplying their protective in grey also by that time ie since the previous surviving Rate Book which is the 1937-38 edition (at which time they were supplying protective in red only).

The batch of protective used on Ark Royal at her October 1940 docking was manufactured 2.9.40 and so, yes, could have been red but equally by then it could have been grey - and one wonders if they would not have used the latest spec on Ark Royal?

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dickrd said:

I currently know of one other ship that certainly had Moravia grey anti-fouling at this sort of time: HMS Amphion/HMAS Perth

Gidday, Are you sure it wasn't HMS Apollo/HMAS Hobart, or HMS Phaeton/HMAS Sydney? Pleeeeeze? 😁 About 15-20 years ago I made a model of HMAS Perth as at February 1942. It was a simple conversion of an Airfix HMS Ajax kit in 1/600, and of course in my ignorance I've painted the underwater hull (anti-fouling) a brick reddish colour. 😩 This was waaay before I'd even heard of modeling forums such as this and the advice/knowledge base that comes with the forums. If you don't mind I think I'll leave it as it is and hope no-one else will know. 🙂

And Crisp, good to see you back. Do you think you'll have her ready by the 26th? 😀 The 80th anniversary of the strike. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’ll take a look at the grey on the FAAM Indomitable model as a starting point.

That looks in photos like it was a green rather than grey. 

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, Are you sure it wasn't HMS Apollo/HMAS Hobart, or HMS Phaeton/HMAS Sydney? Pleeeeeze? 😁 About 15-20 years ago I made a model of HMAS Perth as at February 1942. It was a simple conversion of an Airfix HMS Ajax kit in 1/600, and of course in my ignorance I've painted the underwater hull (anti-fouling) a brick reddish colour. 😩 This was waaay before I'd even heard of modeling forums such as this and the advice/knowledge base that comes with the forums. If you don't mind I think I'll leave it as it is and hope no-one else will know. 🙂

And Crisp, good to see you back. Do you think you'll have her ready by the 26th? 😀 The 80th anniversary of the strike. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

We do have information about the modified Leanders. Let's start another thread about those if you want more detail? In essence though they started off in various British brands of anti-fouling as built but all were changed to grey made by Majors soon after they arrived in Australia.

4 hours ago, dickrd said:

That looks in photos like it was a green rather than grey. 

In that case I am thinking of the wrong model!  There’s deffo a grey-bottomed carrier builder’s model somewhere, cos I remember taking photos for that specific reason!

Arnold, 85th anniversary more like...

P.S. I have no problem with continued discussions in this thread; there have been a number of excursions on various topics thus far, so why change now?!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Arnold, 85th anniversary more like...

Yeah, probably with my 1941 HMS Hood also, and mine's nowhere near the detail and complexity of your build. Regards, Jeff.

On 5/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, heloman1 said:

Excellent work on the fast motorboat and the pom-poms. Are you fully recovered yet, hope so?

Colin

Hugely improved, but not there yet - in particular the drugs can make you dizzy when concentrating in close-up, which is not the best recipe for a 1/350 warship.  I am assured this is temporary, and I am improving all the time, but Ark likely to be on hold for a few more weeks.  1/48 P-38F is getting most of my attention at present, and even that in sessions of only about 20 minutes

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hugely improved,

That is great news Crisp. Hope you continue to do so.

The P-38F is coming along superbly.

Terry

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hugely improved, but not there yet - in particular the drugs can make you dizzy when concentrating in close-up, which is mot the best recipe for a 1/350 warship.  I am assured this is temporary, and I am improving all the time, but Ark likely to be on hold for a few more weeks.  1/48 P-38F is getting mistof my attention at present, and even that in sessions of only about 20 minutes

This is good news, I am sure I speak for us all when I say that the Ark can wait a bit longer and that all we really want to see is you restored to health. Appropriate alien vibes of goodwill are currently being beamed in the direction of Salisbury.

Concerned of Mars 👽

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK.  Finally, a mere 4 months after Achilles’ tendon rupture [resultant boot wouldn’t fit under work bench] and almost 9 months after heart attack… I’m still here.

And just to prove it, here is a photo of Ark on my bench at the weekend, when I sat down and started a mammoth “Now where the f*ck was I?” planning session for how to pick this up again:

51697306252_ee931c0d23_b.jpg

[Same goes for the P-38F, but I have no photo for that one so won’t be posting…]

Stay tuned

Crisp

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3