Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

1 hour ago, Modelholic said:

Is there anything in the bay between the winches?

The destroyer behind Ark in that pic is D56 HMS Wolfhound V&W. Does her front funnel look skew-whiff?

Tom

The empty bay between the winches is where the accommodation ladder will be. In real life there would no doubt be doors / hatches providing access into the ship from the top of the ladder, but once the stowed ladder is in place you won’t be able to see anything, so not even I am going to detail it.  It being the aft ladder, it was Officer Country.

See what you mean about Wolfhound’s for’d funnel.  I think its an optical illusion, but I wouldn’t swear to it!  The V&Ws look wonderfully old fashioned even for 1938

• Like 1

More impressive details, Crisp :worthy:  :worthy:  I'm at a loss to describe my admiration for your job! And to think there's still so much to do.... :frantic: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

I like a challenge, but sometimes I think the PE manufacturers take the proverbial... but when it works...

This is ludicrously tiny, so pleases me mightily: Admiral’s Barge with (Tetra brass) screws & rudders, with 0.2mm Albion Alloys nickel silver prop shafts 

50994151247_fc5a0c3591_b.jpg

We’re all mad, aren’t we?!

• Like 20
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I'm not sure. Let me ask the voices in my head...

I am not a maritime modeller, though I have thrown together a couple of 1/600 Airfix kits in my time. Nevertheless, I enjoy good modelling coupled with in-depth research, and so I have this thread on speed dial. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Crispin old chap,.......Yesss,...... but it isn't black and white, there is a whole spectrum of greys (bout 50 I believe) in between, .....now I think what you need to do is to sit quietly in a dark room muttering the word "wibble", and reflect on the direction (towards the dark side) that you may be unintentionally drifting !!!

Gobsmacked BTW 👍

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dancona said:

...now I think what you need to do is to sit quietly in a dark room muttering the word "wibble", and reflect on the direction (towards the dark side) that you may be unintentionally drifting !!!

Pants on head or not?  And where are my pencils in this scenario?

• Haha 5

Geoffrey Delves Broughton has now uploaded all of his father's photos properly scanned. The full set includes one or two extra ones of Ark Royal amongst them plus some other vintage aviation images from the interwar era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So far I have 2 8-barrelled Pom-Poms safely built, but I need 4 (which at least means I have 2 spare Tetras, since they provide 6 in case you’re building her as in her final few months)... so sooner or later I was always going to have to return to this madness.

This is already 14 separate pieces of folded brass intricately linked together.  

51000888106_329cd04dca_b.jpg

• Like 15

How do you hold and manoeuvre so many small, fragile pieces at one time without turning them into one miniature scrap pile?

Amazing! Absolutely Bloody Amazing!

(I was thinking of other expletives but this is a family friendly site).

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tom, the answer is...

Breathe slowly, get a really good Optivisor, use proper tools (Tamiya diamond file, a good quality hold & fold thing, flat-faced pliers and decent tweezers), take your time, plan ahead, don’t try to do too much in one sitting... and above all buy well-designed PE; Tetra’s stuff has been amazing.  It isn’t cheap, but it really, really fits the kit it’s designed for, and provided you follow the instructions to the letter it works.  It’s also thin enough / well enough etched to fold precisely, but thick enough to be robust when built.  

So much cheap(er) PE is incredibly fragile - to the point where I find it alnost unusable; breathe on it wrong and you have an expensive miniature abstract sculpture!

I cannot speak highly enough of it; Tetra (along with NorthStar and Micromaster) will be far more responsible for the final look of this model than Merit!

I’d say if you try to cut corners on pretty much any of those, sooner or later you’ll come unstuck.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So far I have 2 8-barrelled Pom-Poms safely built, but I need 4 (which at least means I have 2 spare Tetras, since they provide 6 in case you’re building her as in her final few months)... so sooner or later I was always going to have to return to this madness.

This is already 14 separate pieces of folded brass intricately linked together.  

51000888106_329cd04dca_b.jpg

Crisp

This post gave me cold chills 😬.  I remember putting those things together.  Probably the most painful part of the build.  I have learned to build all these little sub assemblies early on and then store them safely for later, otherwise they kill my motivation. 

Be careful putting the barrels in to the casings.  I ended up pushing the back flap open by pushing too hard trying to get the barrel installed properly.  If everything is aligned nicely the little post on the end of the barrel comes out of the little hole on the back flap.  If they don't line up then the barrels end up uneven.  Once I realized what the problem was I had to do a little surgery on some of the barrels to get everything to line up, but if you take extra care making sure everything is square then the barrels should go in fairly easy.  Lets just say that the last one I did turned out far better than the first one...

On my next RN build I am going to use these little babies. 

https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/weapons/128-2-pdr-pom-pom-mkviii-gun-on-octuple-mount-mkv-x2.html

https://micromaster.co.nz/collections/royal-navy-weapons/products/1-350-royal-navy-quad-vickers-0-50-62-12-7mm-mg-mkiii-no-shield-x12

Tetra and Pontos are clearly at the top of my list for PE detail sets.  It's amazing to me that those tiny parts fit together so sell.  I think they could improve their instructions - I found myself having to look at the pictures to identify some PE details that they did not identify in the instructions - but they are a big improvement over most other PE sets.  I think it would be good if they provided instructions that matched sequentially with the kit instructions so you don't glue kit parts together before you remember that there is a PE replacement for that step. 

Really great job.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Tetra (along with NorthStar and Micromaster) will be far more responsible for the final look of this model than Merit!

Haha.  So true.  Merit provides the - kind of mostly accurately shaped - blank canvas.  The aftermarket and the modeler provide the accurate detail. 

• Haha 2

Great work with these pom-poms. Precision, patience, calm and caution are must. The same with flea's castration. However, you are achieving much more spectacular effects.

😉

Of course all build is really epic!

On 04/03/2021 at 00:37, PolarisPrime said:

Master's s Oerlikons are great as well:

SM-350-050_02-318x240.jpg 

I used it on my Castle Corvette. Istill  have a few more to use, but to be honest, after finishing my stock I will choose rather Micromaster or Black Cat. Maybe not so cute, but offers better balance between time engagement/final look. Especially on heavier armed ships. No problem doing 4-6 such "metal fleas" but 10 or more - thank you, maybe next time... :whistle:

I'm getting more and more lazy guy...:sleepy:

Regards, Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Master's s Oerlikons are great as well:

SM-350-050_02-318x240.jpg 

I did 59 of those little buggers for my North Carolina model.  I still wake up screaming at night. 

For sure they are beautiful, but the 3D printed ones that are available now are almost as good, and you just have to snip them off the sprue and glue them down. 

It's interesting that  you did White Ensign's Castle Class as HMCS Copper Cliff.  My next door neighbor Cal Alston (also one of my best friends dad) was the radio operator on Copper Cliff.  One of my teachers was his best friend, and Cal would wander into our social studies class several times per year and regale us with stories about WWII.  I doubt that there are many people in the world who would have any interest in Copper Cliff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I concur - precision work - I feel positively unworthy buying the Black Cat 3D offering :blush:

rob

It's kind of like using the pre-painted instrument panels that are available for aircraft now.  Or better yet the new Quinta 3D printed decals. 

I felt guilty... But I got over it.

• Haha 1