Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

The round-down underside view looks very impressive. The badge on the wall intrigues me. The closest I can see it might be would be for 857 squadron, but those I can see show a fist holding a dagger shape, and that looks more like a cutlass?

Terry

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The badge on the wall intrigues me. The closest I can see it might be would be for 857 squadron, but those I can see show a fist holding a dagger shape, and that looks more like a cutlass?

HMS Blackwater, a River class minesweeper - my first & only ship command; at the time a member of the Fishery Protection Squadron.

50826287192_d3503d1eb2_c.jpg

Sold to the Brazilian Navy in 1998.  

The cutlass in her crest is because she was named after the river in Essex - the Essex coat of arms has three of them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

HMS Blackwater, a River class minesweeper - my first & only ship command; at the time a member of the Fishery Protection Squadron.

Did you enjoy captaining a ship? 

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Did you enjoy captaining a ship? 

I loved it; the Fish Squadron (the Royal Navy’s oldest outfit) is a lot of fun, because once you’re out on patrol you have a huge amount of autonomy - far more than in any other kind of warship, where genuinely solo ops are a rarity - and because in those days you were a kind of community policeman; genuine confrontation with fishermen was extremely rare.  Ship’s company of 24, so I kind of ran it like a giant Ship’s Flight (I went to Blackwater straight after my spell as Broadsword flight commander), which was a two-Lynx, 15-man outfit for some of my time, so not wildly different.  I certainly learned a lot in my 2 years in command, much of which I still sub-consciously use today.

Flight Commander was the best job of all - optimum combination of your own(-ish) train set without too much weighty responsibility (though I doubt whether I’d have felt like that if I’d been sticking Sea Skuas into the Iraqi Navy, as some of my friends were at the time, rather than wazzing about in the Falklands & Caribbean).  Even then you‘re somewhat at the mercy of your Captain; my first one was superb, but for my last 6 months a new guy was in charge, and he never really understood aviation so was continually grannying around worrying whether what we were doing was safe... 

P.S. Blackwater also rolled like no other vessel I have ever experienced.  A strong stomach / sea legs = non-negotiable!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ah, I see. Hadn't figured it might be a ships crest! Thanks for the explanation. A very smart looking class of ships I must say.

My other question is slightly different to Edward's ...... how much did you miss the flying when you took command of the ship? 

Terry

• Like 1

Wanda now close to being laid off until fresh orders reach the yard; one more weld to do high up on the bow (which will not get a special photo of its own!)... but basically port side (& thus both sides) weld seams reinstated:

50829441662_1e775eb36e_b.jpg

...and the DG coil is also almost done: 2 more sections to finish tomorrow to close the gap:

50829437982_2fca169833_b.jpg

There will then follow a lengthy and serious detailed clean-up session to get rid of as much glue, sanding dust and general detritus as possible, ready for a few finishing details (e.g. ladder rungs in the hull side & the like). 

Then maybe even some primer (no promises, Giorgio!)

But we’re really getting somewhere.

I’ll answer your question about missing flying in due course, Terry.  For once this is about yer actual modelling.

Crisp

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Wanda, it’s been a pleasure!  And your mate Dina the de-Gausser?  Yep, her too.  

This phase is done!

50832602356_95154225fb_b.jpg 50832688382_c0629cc67c_b.jpg 50831859378_6c9802bfeb_b.jpg

That final view because the equivalent view from fine on the starboard bow seemed to strike a chord with people.

As I said yesterday, there will now follow an extensive programme of cleaning up - you can see from these close ups how mucky things are, how much stray Gator Thin is about, & how many traces of seam-checking black paint are hanging around.  As much as possible needs to go before any new paint goes anywhere near - plus there is still a lot to add, detail-hounds: davits over the boat bays, the WT aerial brackets, and of course all the catwalks.

Not to mention the rapidly-approaching time to build the bays themselves and their contents.  Some on the starboard side were done ages ago, but I still have to add paravanes, winches, ladders, doors and similar to the port bays before fitting... and of course the boats!  The flight deck can’t go on until all the bays are fitted.  And many of the catwalks can’t go on until the flight deck is on.

So - sorry, Giorgio - there is still a lot to do before the airbrush comes out in earnest.

But today is undeniably a milestone.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

As I said yesterday, there will now follow an extensive programme of cleaning up - you can see from these close ups how mucky things are, how much stray Gator Thin is about, & how many traces of seam-checking black paint are hanging around.  As much as possible needs to go before any new paint goes anywhere near - plus there is still a lot to add, detail-hounds: davits over the boat bays, the WT aerial brackets, and of course all the catwalks.

So.......  Done by Sunday lunchtime then? 

Astonishing work going on here. Hope none of the portholes/scuttles/round window thingies goes "ping" during the cleanup.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Hope none of the portholes/scuttles/round window thingies goes "ping" during the cleanup.

A couple already have during Wanda’s less subtle moments!  But only a couple, which ain’t bad considering there are hundreds of the blighters.  

I want to be certain that they’re good and solid before paint, or there’s always the risk of one coming adrift leaving a blob of grey styrene or white filler visible through the meticulously applied Colourcoats.  Not a good look. 

• Like 3

Not that much to show you after a weekend with not much time at the bench - digging out the stump of a 120-year-old (very dead) lilac tree took most of my energy on Saturday!

Most of the work I did do isn't very photogenic - cleaning up the weld seams and PE from the last few weeks.  However, I did finish adding the assorted grilles that are visible on the port side in many original photos (I did most of the starboard equivalents many weeks ago, though still a couple to add on that side as I clean up).  Done by eye, using a micro chisel to dig a slot and then some fine brass mesh (which you have to cut very carefully or it ends up as a heap of brass strands!).  I can't remember where I got this from - a show sometime, with this kind of thing in mind - but it is made by an outfit called Fineline.

50848403477_c16d94f61d_b.jpg 50848403487_77d27bc438_b.jpg

This IWM photo of the real thing on the day of her sinking shows the kind of thing I am trying to represent.  All adds to the busy-ness which real ships have, and which (IMHO) many models lack.

Ark Royal sinking, 13 November 1941, seen from HMS Hermione

More soon

Crisp

• Like 12