Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

25 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Scuttle as in coal scuttle come from a totally different route; one is Old Norse, the other Old French

Let's not forget one can also scuttle off!

Terry

Scuttling away to get his coat...

• Haha 1

Believe it or not, the Great Scuttle-a-Thon of 2020 is entering the final straight.  There are two sizes involved, & I am within 3 of finishing the larger size - would have done it today listening to the rugby, but I found a bit of a gouge where I’d removed a Merit ledge so awaiting putty drying (see the white mark).

50657508846_949d4b3f85_b.jpg

Apart from the 3 on the putty, there are 19 of a smaller size to fit, & then we’re done.  There will still be detail to add (ladder rungs etc) to the hull side, but it will still be a significant milestone... possibly even tomorrow 

They’re not that easy to see in these photos - the white putty (filling Merit’s holes) and/or pencil marks (showing where they should be in places where Merit don’t agree with my refs for 1941) show up more clearly than the brass; trust me, they’re there - all 250-odd of them on this side alone!

More soon

Crisp

Edit: you can see more of them from this angle!

50656885078_82398d2be0_b.jpg

• Like 19

Ta-Daaaa!  All done

50661519802_7e030a33a7_b.jpg

Note, this doesn’t mean the hull half is finished - just that the PE scuttles are complete.  Still good, though.

Crisp

P.S. As if to demonstrate the difference, adding the rectangular ones took me all of 5 minutes:

50661462351_e734dcdae5_b.jpg

• Like 15

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent progress, Crisp :clap:

How long before joining the hull halves?

Ciao 

Good question.  There are still a few relatively minor pieces of detailing to be done on the hull parts - a couple of ladders, some exhaust grilles & similar - but those shouldn’t take more than a day or two.  Before the hull gets fully closed up (i.e. with flight deck glued) I need to finish all the hull galleries, many of which contain boats, paravanes & other details  and there is no denying that once the two halves are joined this becomes a big, unwieldy beast. 

On the other hand, provided the flight deck isn’t glued in place, there’s quite a lot to be said for getting the hull together so I can sort the join with the inevitable filling and sanding, fit the DG cable etc.

So probably only a few days.  Though I reserve the right to change my mind, obvs...

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So probably only a few days.  Though I reserve the right to change my mind, obvs...

It's all about deciding when the moment is rightripe for two halves to make a hullwhole I guess!

Terry

• Sad 1

Not glued yet (not even for you, Dave!), but... (Merit’s internal stiffening bulkheads work really well)

50665351312_f24dda9771_b.jpg

The ruler is 12” / 30cm - this thing is big; over 2’ long.

Crisp

P.S. This is what I mean by the stiffening bulkheads:

50664561153_c48dd3f0de_b.jpg

• Like 9

That's a huge milestone passed. It must feel so good to know that all those tiny but very important additions are done with and major steps forward are now not too far off.

Ian