Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

On 7/3/2020 at 8:25 PM, Terry1954 said:

Looking at those pics again and seeing the full deep hull, I think you said you intended the model to go into a seascape? if so when do you plan to chop off her bottom?

Chop off her bottom? I find a shapely well-rounded bottom very pleasing to look at!   In SHIPS! I'm talking SHIPS!   😁

Gidday Crisp, I've just gone back to catch up on what I've missed. With so many interesting builds on the forum it's hard to find time to follow them all, and do my own models also. So I get behind a bit sometimes, of where you're up to.

Although I don't do sea bases myself keeping the hull intact and using a deep sea base may be the way to go. It would be a shame to make a mistake on it now, after all your superb work. Your standard of build continues to astound. 👍   Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That searchlight platform is a thing to behold in it's own right. Can't wait to see what you're doing with the actual light Crisp. 

What Tony says!

I just love how the searchlight platform is so beautifully sculpted, proper handsome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somewhat parrot fashion after my colleagues above, but what the hell ...... That is one fine searchlight platform!

Every so often in this build, I pull out my Trumpeter 1/700 Ark Royal, make a quick comparison and mentally figure out what I might do at that point. I then gulp, quickly put it away in the box, and reach for beer from the fridge!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The first 10 of God knows how many...

50263789918_97b9e5df5b_b.jpg

These takes a lot of concentration, because they’re tiny and each one needs cleaning up carefully before fitting... so I’ve been doing other things in parallel - namely two platforms for ammo hoists, port & starboard, which sit between the for’d 4.5” sponsons:

50264715311_9890b9c1c1_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 19

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Do they say this at the end of a day's work in actual shipyards as well? :hmmm:

I said that to some of the people who were working on the annual refit of the harbour patrol launch earlier this year and they all scarpered! Can't think why?

Mystified of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

Having fitted those 10 yesterday, I remembered the final lesson of doing the starboard side; it’s actually much harder to fit the Flyhawk scuttles over existing holes, and since there are a LOT of alterations to be done, this time I’ve done what I should have done for the other side...namely filled the whole lot so I can start again on a proper blank canvas.  It might seem nuts, but this will actually speed things up:

50267654278_ebc47052f7_b.jpg

50268492777_77e26f7774_b.jpg

50268492752_8f98a5b355_b.jpg

Good job Merit got the shape largely right (though even that’s not 100%...), because there isn’t going to be much of the original kit left by the time I’m done!

Fun, though - and at least Merit gave us a 1/350 Brit carrier!

Crisp

• Like 21

@Terry1954, Titter if ye must but Mrs Martian reminded me that we are very short on people to go on patrols at the moment and asked it I had any ideas as to how we can overcome this temporary problem. Make a sentence out of these words: press, Swanage, gang, raid, Terry sieze "recruit".

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Martian said:

Make a sentence out of these words: press, Swanage, gang, raid, Terry sieze "recruit".

Hmmm, I think I get the gist............. Better keep my wits about me from now on, especially mindful of those stranger folk wandering around from the other side of Poole Harbour!

Superb work on the scuttles there Crisp.

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Hmmm, I think I get the gist............. Better keep my wits about me from now on, especially mindful of those stranger folk wandering around from the other side of Poole Harbour!

Don't worry Terry, I will be in charge of a large part of your basic training so that should give you every confidence. 

Martian 👽

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Having filled the scuttles (& a couple of minor blemishes of my own making), I’ve started marking up the new ones.  Herewith the first 80 marked on 4 decks level with or above the hull openings.  And the first 7 actually fitted (on the round down, if you’re looking for them!)

50275829171_9fa9e2d167_b.jpg

Going to take while - but if you look closely you can probably see how few of them coincide with the filled holes.  My positions taken from the builders’ drawings backed up with Kagero, which have proved to be very trustworthy when compared with photographs (unlike Morskie).  

Day off tomorrow, but lots to do so might not get as much done as I’d like

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Great tips and reference for me but I think I will just sit back and watch in awe for now I need more practice with that shiny stuff  😱

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chris Hewitt said:

Pure madness ,the things we do,superb work.

And then he goes and works at St Trinians for a bit of light relief: or is it the other way round? :mental: However, bonkers or not I agree with your sentiments.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

The latest batch - this time only one of 14 anywhere near Merit’s positions (not least because they missed the row of ten on 4 deck (above the aircraft signalling lights) out altogether...

50282595841_6ec6037e2e_b.jpg

Started at the stern, and now as far for’d as No 3 port 4.5” sponson, thus:

50282595861_5ef1a601f6_b.jpg

Don’t get too excited, though: still 2 complete decks untouched lower down (not even marked up yet!).... not to mention a further 19” of hull ahead of where we are!

50282755127_0ef434cd65_b.jpg

The entire hull is 27” long.  Lots to do, but this is curiously therapeutic.

Crisp

• Like 15

Fine work on those scuttles. Watching this these last few days has inspired me to address the scuttles on the Vosper, which I successfully did this afternoon. Ten in all, small brass profiled ones in 1/72. An update will come on that. I found it challenging, which puts me to shame really when I look at the number you are doing here in this scale!

Good luck with the other zillion!

Terry

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Lots to do, but this is curiously therapeutic.

I'll take your word for that,  and don't intend to try that therapy myself.... :D

Admirable progress! :worthy:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4