Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

46 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Anyway, here’s a sneak preview of a fairly distant future!

50069930512_cd5ec5189d_b.jpg

50069119158_9468a5aab6_b.jpg

50069930492_a146c682e2_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

She looks great, very tempted to start mine now I’ve seen those pics. 

Thanks for the updates, really interesting background stuff and the details you’re adding are brilliant.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Strategically placed magnifying glasses and lighting when displayed perhaps? 

More likely to have resin “water” p*ssing out of it, to be honest!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Looking at those pics again and seeing the full deep hull, I think you said you intended the model to go into a seascape? if so when do you plan to chop off her bottom?

Terry

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking at those pics again and seeing the full deep hull, I think you said you intended the model to go into a seascape? if so when do you plan to chop off her bottom?

Terry

That’s difficult to answer at the moment; I need to do some experiments with rough seascapes before I commit - don’t want to cut off hull & then find it shows in a trough.  I’d rather have a deep-sided base to encompass the whole hull than that.  We’ll see...

It’s also deceptive; she was tall - the top of the boot topping was well below the upper edge of the armoured belt, which is easily visible on the side shots.  There’s a lot of Ark above water

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That’s difficult to answer at the moment; I need to do some experiments with rough seascapes before I commit - don’t want to cut off hull & then find it shows in a trough.  I’d rather have a deep-sided base to encompass the whole hull than that.  We’ll see...

I thought you settled for real water, didn't you? No wait, that was back when you were in London and you had a spare room you could permanently flood ... :D  :rofl: Sorry, I'll get my :coat: 

Seriously though, given what you said here...

23 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There’s a lot of Ark above water

... I agree with your idea of a deep-sided base

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seeing the full hull does give some perspective alright, what a grand project this is Crisp.

15 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Incidentally, those photos only emphasise all the more how little of the cable deck is going to be visible!

You'll definitely need to file away that pic of the cable deck to include in the RFI.

• Like 3

I've started reading this thread backwards in order to watch you disassembling an entire aircraft carrier singlehanded. 

Beautiful wood aesthetics and love the attention to ghost markings - you can already sense the rich visual depth she's going to have when completed.

Oh no. Another Hobbs volume for the list - does he mention much about the interwar Furious? :hmmm:

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Another Hobbs volume for the list - does he mention much about the interwar Furious? :hmmm:

He bases his narrative around the diaries of Bill Lucy (Lt Cdr William Paulet Lucy DSO, the first WW2 FAA ‘Ace’ & who led the Skua attack on the Köningsberg in Norway - KIA not much later), so it rather depends on how much time Lucy spent in Furious.  I thought it was a superb book; I learned so much about inter-War aviation in general and the gradual evolution of FAA tactics and ideas in particular - a lot of it down to the initiative of men like Lucy (including seconded RAF aircrew too) and a few aviation-minded Captains, often against a backdrop of indifference from the battleship zealots.

• Like 6

I like Hobb's books so much I would almost build a carrier next... very interesting to read how far the RN was at the end of WWI with a carrier strike force.

• Like 3

Awesome work as ever. Getting reacquainted with this thread felt to me a bit like going back to an old favourite Charles Dickens’ book after a long absence; I’m just as bewildered by the huge cast of characters with strange archaic names that I can’t remember – but I know I’m in the presence of genius :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Getting reacquainted with this thread felt to me a bit like going back to an old favourite Charles Dickens’ book after a long absence;

Can't wait for the bit that emulates the Cricket match at Dingly Dell!

Terry

13 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Can't wait for the bit that emulates the Cricket match at Dingly Dell!

I think that’s the bit where I populate the flight deck with unfeasibly complicated mixtures of Swordfish and Chockheads

• Haha 6

Short hiatus on thus while we go on holiday for a week.  If you’ve been wondering what's been occupying me for the past 3 or 4 days, see the Dido build!  Masking marathon.

See y’all in a week or so.

Crisp

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

[So much for ‘short hiatus!‘]

Neither Dido or Ark Royal has been forgotten or abandoned - but my job is running a school, so I am bonkers busy at the moment.  Normal modelling service will, I hope, resume soon.

• Like 5

Early work on the port side: adding some of the missing 2 deck galleries (Tetra PE) and drawing in (pencil) at least 30 scuttles a couple of decks below that Merit have missed out entirely.  In due course they’ll be brass, as will all scuttles (just as on the starboard side).  

Long job, but worth it.

50251911143_a7a5ffc5e1_b.jpg

• Like 17

I have learned from the starboard version of this that the best way to approach it is to sand off almost everything (DG coil, scuttles, weld seams etc) & start again - last time I ended up doing this but only after trying to keep stuff, which made it three times as difficult.  So at present most of this is rather unexciting & unphotogenic removal of Merit’s stuff to provide a blank canvas.

But I have found time to build (dry fitted here) Tetra’s replacement stern 44” Searchlight platform - 3 pieces of brass plus a small section of Merit’s styrene to plug the slot in the hull & help align it

50256243392_053c89e337_b.jpg 50256062771_8d70373947_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 16