Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

One further picture, with the cable rubbing plate thingies removed for safe keeping, but the rear bulkhead of the cable deck dry fitted - which also clearly shows the difference between 507A Home Fleet Grey (the bulkhead) and the RN WW2 deck grey colour.  Both @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies’s paints, obvs.

50032657411_d382bf9c6a_b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Great shot. I seem to recall way back in this thread, some discussion (prompted by me I think) regarding internal bulkheads being painted white? I certainly remember one or two shots which showed that, but not this main bulkhead specifically?

Terry

• Like 1

The quarter deck & Admiral’s stern gallery thingy above it certainly had white bulkheads, but I am not convinced the cable deck did.  Partly for the simple reason that it was very much a working part of ship, not some poncey “officer country” area.

The only internal shot I’ve seen of the cable deck is the one with the oggin flooding in, and though the deck-head certainly could be white, I am not convinced (especially given the fact that she spent some of her life in 507C and the fact that the photo must have been taken in very poor lighting conditions).

49806223492_db322de288_b.jpg

More of a point, contrast this shot...

Ark Royal bow close-up 1940

...with, say, this one...

Ark Royal starboard quarter

Yes, I know - different lighting conditions etc., but the white in the quarter deck is very obvious (& the bulkheads of all the other openings for’d of the quarter deck are clearly NOT white).  Whereas the bow shot, though not conclusive because of shadows etc., certainly doesn’t look white to me.

Obviously anyone with further and better particulars very welcome to chip in at this point!  @iang; any thoughts?

• Like 9

Ah yes, in that second shot, I'd agree that only the quarterdeck appears to have white bulkheads. Looking at the first shot, those plimsoll marks are certainly very white, and even though the bulkheads are in shadow, I'd say on balance no white bulkheads there also.

Curiosity satisfied, and more info to store for my eventual 1/700 build! I think my memory was recalling that second picture, or a similar one with some very worn paintwork in that area.

Thanks

Terry

• Like 2

One more on this topic.  Atmospheric IWM shot from November 1940, chosen because the sun is behind the photographer.  Even at this range, quarter deck clearly white... cable deck?  I don’t think so.

FLEET OPERATION IN THE MEDITERRANEAN. NOVEMBER 1940, ON BOARD THE DESTROYER HMS KELVIN.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I think my memory was recalling that second picture, or a similar one with some very worn paintwork in that area.

Probably this one:

Ark at Gibraltar, 1941

• Like 6

This photo is posted not to add anything to the discussion, but because I love it.  More IWM goodness, this time taken from Sheffield (in May 41, apparently, which would make it very close to the Bismarck timeframe).  Malta convoy, almost certainly - you can almost smell stinky old Furious with her stern boiler vents from here!

ON BOARD THE CRUISER HMS SHEFFIELD. MAY 1941, AT SEA.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The quarter deck & Admiral’s stern gallery thingy above it certainly had white bulkheads, but I am not convinced the cable deck did.  Partly for the simple reason that it was very much a working part of ship, not some poncey “officer country” area.

The only internal shot I’ve seen of the cable deck is the one with the oggin flooding in, and though the deck-head certainly could be white, I am not convinced (especially given the fact that she spent some of her life in 507C and the fact that the photo must have been taken in very poor lighting conditions).

Yes, I know - different lighting conditions etc., but the white in the quarter deck is very obvious (& the bulkheads of all the other openings for’d of the quarter deck are clearly NOT white).  Whereas the bow shot, though not conclusive because of shadows etc., certainly doesn’t look white to me.

Obviously anyone with further and better particulars very welcome to chip in at this point!  @iang; any thoughts?

No doubt about the quarter-deck.  For the record, the photo of the cable deck is one from an album I own, that I posted a few years back. The unidentified compiler served on Ark Royal, then Victorious, then Implacable. The cable-deck photo falls on the page between Ark Royal and Victorious, so it could be from either.  Personally, I think that the light deck-head is white in that photo, but other views are equally valid.  I'm looking forward to seeing your Ark finished. You are making an outstanding job of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Ian.  The model has no deck head as such for the cable deck (& I won’t be adding one, since the viewer would need to be a contortionist with rampant dwarfism to be able to see it).  

Bulkheads are staying 507A!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

That 'water flooding in' shot of the cable deck is really scary, the photog must have had spheroids of forged steel.

I think you can see the edge of the open door on the left of shot; he was standing outside the cable deck looking in through the door.  I imagine he had an oppo standing next to him ready to slam the things shut if it all got too exciting!

• Like 2

One of the scariest things I’ve experienced in my life was an Atlantic hurricane in January 1982, en route from UK to USA.  The bridge wing of Fearless was 71’ above the waterline, & I distinctly recall looking up at a wave as it barrelled towards us - but the worst bit was seeing a wave break over the stern gate into the dock.  We turned very quickly into sea after that (despite the risk / unpleasantness of doing so) because steaming down sea in weather like that presents a real risk of broaching even in a ship of Fearless’ size.

The sea is utterly wonderful in so many ways, but it can make you feel a) puny & b) helpless

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The sea is utterly wonderful in so many ways, but it can make you feel a) puny & b) helpless

So true, and in my poor wife's case, like many I'm sure c) sick!

• Haha 5

More great stories Crisp :) 

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

So true, and in my poor wife's case, like many I'm sure c) sick!

Terry that's sea sick mate… just sayin' :D 

• Haha 7

My wife would be a hopeless sailor. We took the ferry to Lerwick once and she alternately cried and spewed all the way there and back as soon as the ship started to pitch as it approached the harbour walls at Aberdeen. She's not so bad providing she can spend the entire trip on the up on weather deck to keep an eye on the horizon and enjoy the wind but put a pane of glass between her and the outside world and it's game over... Come to think of it, she's almost as bad in an airliner, yet absolutely find in an open cockpit.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

put a pane of glass between her and the outside world and it's game over...

Would it help to put a glass in her hand?

You know give her brain something useful to do.

And something to sup if it doesn't help.

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

Would it help to put a glass in her hand?

You know give her brain something useful to do.

And something to sup if it doesn't help.

Surprisingly, no! She's not really a drinker. There's no moral objection or anything like that - she's just an extraordinary lightweight with booze :D

• Haha 4

You do get used to it within a couple of days - though sailing straight into heavy weather was always unpleasant, and going to sea with a hangover a disaster (I only ever did it once, lulled by the rock of Gibraltar into thinking there was little wind so would be calm... only to round Europa Point and find a nasty short Mediterranean chop in full swing.  Nev. Er. Again.)

Nelson was appallingly seasick, as was one of my Captains who was invariably a pale green colour for the first 48 hours!

But your wife is right, Jamie; even I, who basically was never seasick (without hangover contribution!), sometimes felt the need to watch the horizon for a while. Dry biscuits also help; Pusser’s hard tack works wonders!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3