Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

The Detail you are including is just Fabulous.  Crispin - is it possible to know where you sourced the Liquid Glass from? A web search returns a rather bewildering number of items labelled as Liquid glass :shrug:

The insulators look great B)

Rob

Here

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Just seen a bit of pre war Ark Royal flying off action in an old film, 'Neutral Port', with some dodgy model flying later.

Considering she was only commissioned 9 months before the start of the war (16 December 1938), she was a bit of a film tart: see also “Ships With Wings”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

she was a bit of a film tart: 

A bit like me back on Mars then! Oh, alright, without the film bit.

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Martian said:

A bit like me back on Mars then! Oh, alright, without the film bit.

Update: Mrs Martian says I make a pretty good terrestrial tart as well. I know my place.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Or here a bit cheaper and less postage in the UK. Ordered!

Hey, you were saying MY threads cost you money :D 

Here we go again! I feel a tweezer moment coming on........

Terry

• Haha 7

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:
17 hours ago, CedB said:

Or here a bit cheaper and less postage in the UK. Ordered!

Hey, you were saying MY threads cost you money :D 

Oooo Matron!

Order placed......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

But they are very, very useful tweezers ....

1 hour ago, Coors54 said:

Oooo Matron!

Order placed......

Somewhere in deepest Derbyshire a craft shop owner is wondering why he is seeing a sudden run on orders for Liquid Glass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The owner will be floating his business on the stock market come Monday. Within the week it'll rival Amazon in value!

Tom

PS I'm not jumping on the bandwagon this time. 

I've had some ages! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Richard E said:

Somewhere in deepest Derbyshire a craft shop owner is wondering why he is seeing a sudden run on orders for Liquid Glass.

:D Perhaps we should tell them before they order a palette full in anticipation of a rising demand!

• Like 1

I trust you guys have been enjoying yourselves on the Liquid Glass Channel.  

Meanwhile I have started working on the cable deck.  This is my first experience of a wooden deck - part of the Tetra set.  It’s lovely, but I am wrestling with the issue of when to paint what (any tips from other shipbuilders welcome!), and particularly how you can work post-installation to change colour.  The deck is beautifully done provided you want a clean, dry teak deck... but Ark’s cable deck in the sort of weather we’re talking about was anything but dry...

49806223492_db322de288_b.jpg

Anyway. That’s for the future.  What I have e]been doing is working with the astonishing 3D printed resin cable from yxmodel  - hideously expensive, but so far ahead in realism terms than anything else that it’s well worth it to my eyes.  Here painted in Vallejo Metal Color Steel, with the universal No 11 Swann Morton blade (an old one with some CA on the tip!) for size comparison:

50026075488_8a182f9b54_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 16

On my Ark Royal I used a wooden deck for the first time (Very Fire set but probably similar). I had no problems with it. I painted the fittings first and it stuck to the painted surface fine. I clear coated the deck with flat lacquer and weathered and darkened the wood with a light coats of an oil wash. I took a different approach to the anchor chain. Because it is so hard to see when the model is together I used a cheap chain that was in my stash.

• Thanks 1

Individual links, Hendie.  Remarkable.  It looks rigid because I held it between two sets of tweezers for painting.

Edit:

50028748771_0599d5ec3a_b.jpg

@dhogue, thanks; it’s the flat coat & then weathering bit I wasn’t sure about - the deck’s texture makes me wonder how it would behave, but you have reassured me.

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

the astonishing 3D printed resin cable from yxmodel  - hideously expensive

That so depends 😁 They have an impressive range of objects and my prediction will be: in 5 to 10 years people have their own printers and files will be shared.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Edit:

50028748771_0599d5ec3a_b.jpg

What with the chains and all this looks suspiciously like someone's making up a ransom note from newsprint.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

If I ever find my unfeasibly small hostage, Tony, you’ll be the first to know!

Today’s work:

50029898448_5edf5306c4_b.jpg

The protective plates for the anchor cable are not yet fixed; going to be much easier to add a bit of rust and weathering (inevitable on any cable deck, however well maintained) well away from that wood.  The wood is fixed in place, and also has a coat of Mr Super Clear Flat from a rattle can (lovely stuff).

Busy week, so maybe not much in the early part - but I’ll do my best.

Crisp

• Like 13