Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

All 8 aerial masts now done, and 7 of the 8 brackets (bearing in mind that one bracket is already installed on the hull up in London):

49846729132_ba953e6e1d_b.jpg

The 8th bracket completely fell apart - frankly because I mis-handled it, I think:

49845889558_9e258de800_b.jpg

I have now soldered the main joints back together & will finish off reconstruction tomorrow (some Gator’s Grip to be cleaned up, too):

49846627766_c59223e3fe_b.jpg

Leaving me with this rather satisfying sight:

49846426061_4b9d3d0e1a_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 23

The last time you will see these for a long while; all 7 brackets temporarily fitted (the 8th already on the hull on London), and everything given a light mist of Alclad Black Primer.  These are now in a stout tin for safe stowage until the brackets start being fitted to the hull, which will be weeks or possibly months (I’m in isolation until mid-June at the earliest, so don't hold your breath!).

49850957986_6f0e32cf33_b.jpg

Next, I will probably start churning out the large number of upper deck ammunition ready use lockers - the sort of repetitive task that is unavoidable in any large ship build!

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16

Production line time; just the 44 ready use ammunition lockers for the upper deck.  Another 16 of a smaller size are tomorrow’s “fun”... but at least they’re done.

49855935721_6c9e3f3a70_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 19

53 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

So they are brass, from the etch set, and therefore folded into box shape?

Terry

Yes to all the above; hollow box, to be strictly accurate - there is no bottom face.  Makes it all much easier; thus wasn’t hard, just taxing of the patience!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It would have driven me mad just cutting those 44 bits off their fret, let alone bending them box-shaped. :gobsmacked: Quite impressed.

Ciao

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Makes it all much easier; thus wasn’t hard, just taxing of the patience!

Very taxing I would say, quite a few folds I reckon!

Well done, they look great.

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 05/05/2020 at 05:50, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yes to all the above; hollow box, to be strictly accurate - there is no bottom face.  Makes it all much easier; thus wasn’t hard, just taxing of the patience!

The next game is another production line job, namely building 16 Carley Floats.  I have had a set of 1/350 resin floats in my possession for aeons - so long that I have no idea where or when I got them, other than that it was from a club night & beer was involved...  I think they are Very Fire, but don’t quote me on that!  They’re simply in a plastic bag now, so no way of telling.  But they’re much better than Merit’s, definitely.

Anyway, with a bit of clean-up they look promising:

49863904301_ab23d81363_b.jpg

They have 2 pieces of PE per float and appear to fit well, but I actually want them to look sloppy; take a look at this, where the centre wooden section is off-centre because of gravity:

48504948447_d345f6317b_b.jpg

That’s what I am after with this first attempt (tacked on with Gator’s Grip) - excuse dodgy focus:

49863600693_88589cfcab_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 24

45 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

other than that it was from a club night & beer was involved...

My advice. Beer should definitely not be involved in assembling these!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

My advice. Beer should definitely not be involved in assembling these!

Terry

I have to differ here. Beer would most definitely be required to get me started on these. To be perfectly honest, beer is often required to get me started on anything. You put petrol in your car, you put beer in a Martian. Simples! :drink:

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

Wow, I've made it! I just spent the best art of a day and a half going through this thread from day 1 and am extremely impressed. The history lesson has been very interesting and the modelling exquisite!

I even learned quite a bit about big floaty things (got to make sure Hendie is still with us!) eg I had always thought that with such a beefy framework, the aerial masts were actually supports for netting to catch errant seamen/wingy things that wandered off the edge. 

The thought of starting a take off run heading downwards straight at the ocean is more than a little scary. It's not quite the same doing it from a downward sloping runway on an island. The worst I had to deal with was the first night take off over water on a dark night when no-one has warned you that you'll need to go onto instruments immediately, even when there's no weather. That was scary enough!

Great stuff Crisp, looking forward to the next installment.

Ian

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The worst I had to deal with was the first night take off over water on a dark night when no-one has warned you that you'll need to go onto instruments immediately, even when there's no weather.

Though I have never done the rolling downhill into oblivion thing, I can definitely relate to that.  No matter how much you dim the deck & cockpit lights or how long before launch you go up top to get your eyes accustomed, launching from a ship mid-ocean on a cloudy, no moon, no visible horizon night is never fun; as you say, the second you’re clear of the ship’s structure it’s instantly onto instruments with the aircraft still well under 100’ above the sea.  There’s a very good reason why the “war cry” everyone else in the cab needs to hear from the flying pilot is “On instruments; positive rate of climb!”.  I was never afraid to grab a whole left armful of power off the deck; get yourself going upwards and get that scan going!

• Like 6