Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

More very neat, tiny work - good job Crisp :) 

I wonder why they're called 'dodgers'?

I spend some time on the 'net finding articles about sports teams, people who avoid things, dodging 'clickbait' and scrolling through annoying ads but no joy…

Alexa was sorry, but not sure.

Siri did the same search that I did (but with a nice soothing voice).

Made me realise that the 'web isn't quite the great source of knowledge that Tim Berners-Lee hoped it would be.

(Sorry, still a bit grumpy here in the mornings)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I wonder why they're called 'dodgers'?

To mislead hungry aliens of course!

Starving of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

Not entirely sure, but I think Terry’s is the most likely guess.  It appears to be a term left over from the age of sail, and apply to a canvas structure designed to provide some shelter to a helmsman from weather and spray.

It was still widely used in my era, and I expect still is; Naval terminology is not a rapid mover!  Quite why dodgers were felt necessary 30’ up a mast that was itself a long way above the ogg-splash, who knows?  My guess is that they were as much aesthetic as practical, though I suppose any shelter from the wind for any poor sod who had to work aloft would be welcone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Both platforms now fixed in position, as are 2 ladders - one up to the Met platform and one between the two.  Just about visible here.

49827098557_e5ce9205ac_b.jpg

Can’t do anything quickly, but getting there!

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16

16 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Submariners were sometimes lovingly called 'sun dodgers', just sayin'.

Stuart

I think you have clearly spent too long under the surface.

Terry

• Haha 4

Getting very close to finishing the mast now - at least until we get to rigging time, which a way off yet.  Today’s episode of Optivisor Fun started with the fitting of this wee beast - important later on when we do get to rigging, but at this stage just a challenge to get level from all angles.

49831037492_1474b6bf8f_b.jpg

Then it was onto the top platform, on which will sit the large bucket shape of the Type 72X aircraft homing beacon.  Not for a while, though, since is actually (shock!) going to be a Merit part, and at the moment it is up in London.  Anyway, slightly counter-intuitively the best way to build this is upside down, with the railings first.  About 10 minutes of rolling around a piece of circular runner of about the right circumference gives you a set of railings that are close to circular; they look better to the naked eye!

49830727856_4f9a06a06e_b.jpg

Then you turn it the other way up - the railings are pretty robust once fitted - and a) bend the loops of rigging through 90 degrees and b) fit the 4 cross-braces to the underside:

49830766771_3c28b0bf7c_b.jpg

And then turn the mast itself upside down and gently test to see if it fits... which it does!  Hoorah!  Bravo Tetra designers (& a sigh of relief that my multiple measurements for the home-brew brass mast were right!

49830194843_1313742d2f_b.jpg

49831037827_065ff3168e_b.jpg

49830194698_4d68819354_b.jpg

Pretty happy with that; the topmast platform is only dry fitted at present, cos there’s another ladder to go on yet.  Then into very careful storage while I go back to working on the bridge area.  

The island is starting to come together now.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 19

You keep churning out impressive details, Crisp :worthy:

And the pics of the island laying on a transparent block are quite evocative - it looks like... an island in the middle of the sea!

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Just catching up now Crisp and your attention to detail - and the detail itself - is very extraordinarily impressive!

I can barely believe what I am seeing!

Stay safe all

Geoff

• Thanks 1

Started tonight on the first (of eight) W/T aerial masts - the ones so characteristic of RN carriers in that era, that lowered to the horizontal during flying ops.

You’re doubtless bored with hearing me say this, but Tetra have done a great job; things like the ladder and the visible gearing are lovely touches:

49834509181_c349e9aef7_b.jpg

49834815387_0dbb4c07ef_b.jpg

49834509201_e0fb451f60_b.jpg

49834039903_d1fa2d411e_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 21

Now this is the bit that interests me! :giggle: I have four, possibly five, British carriers on the go and all need these types of outriggers, so I shall be watching intently from here on.

Mike

• Haha 1

More tiny, lovely work Crisp.

Your poor eyes… and, I wonder, what's happening to your sense of perspective?

Do you take off the Optivisor and get scared by everyday 'full scale' objects? :D 

• Haha 7

Tetra HAVE done a great job as you say - but it would still be easy to wreck it without your determined eye and hand.

Structural pleasures abound at each new update.

(Even if somewhere in the Salibury area a model church is missing the lead from its roof....)

• Haha 3

Thanks, everyone.

And then there were three...

49838705497_b2b600275c_b.jpg

The masts are held into the brackets by a crude piece of bent 0.2mm rod just to keep it all safe.  In due course the brackets will be fitted to the hull and painted, but I suspect the masts will be added very late indeed; sticky-out bits par excellence, just begging to be bashed, bent, damaged and knocked into oblivion!

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16