Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

46 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I've got the Tamiya Yamato in the stash. I don't want to think how many guns she has.....

Edit: 24 AA guns 😮

That’s one of the things that really daunts me about battleship models.  At least I only have to build 4 of these.  

Plus 8 of the quad 0.5” Vickers.  

And 15 Swordfish.

Oops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

OK - the next bit is actually where the sub-assemblies start to come together; the frame on which everything hangs is folded:

49734781503_6283295dee_b.jpg

There is an unfeasibly tiny channel thing to fit in those slots at the front:

49734781478_29e3e61167_b.jpg

You then fit the block into the middle, so it starts to resemble a Pom-Pom mounting, like this:

49735324791_f10ef3e784_b.jpg

Back to the ammo feeds. I’ve part-built the set for the opposite end of the mounting (seen on the left).  The circular plate is what holds the ammo feed trays in position - you can see the near-side one fitted.  At the moment I have left the upper tray off, because I think it will help me to paint it.  I’ll do the same on the other side later.  

49735324801_21ae0cf7ba_b.jpg

All that’s left from the array of parts I started with (see post #875 - and none lost so far...) are 4 sets of railings and the sight.  Nearly there with No. 1 (of 4).

More soon

Crispi

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Thank you to everyone for the nice comments, but any one of you could do this - you really could.  The real praise should be aimed at Tetra’s engineers, because if you do what they say, this fits together perfectly.

Take your time, use an Optivisor & really good tweezers, don’t try to do too much in one session...

A lot of this build (the Swordfish, for instance) has taxed my problem-solving & lateral thinking - often the bits of modelling that give me the most satisfaction.  But these wee guns, though they do undeniably look fabulous... they’re careful assembly, nothing more.  

Don’t get me wrong; I love how they look & they’ll enhance the model massively.  But I’ve seen your models; you could all do this if you put your minds to it

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Does each individual shell have a fuse and primer?

Well yes, but don’t worry; they’ve all been made safe.  My Swordfish crews are in no danger of being shot because of an negligent discharge.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Well yes, but don’t worry; they’ve all been made safe.

Gidday, good to hear. Those aircrew had enough hostile shells thrown at them in the mission, without having to cope with 'friendly' fire as well.

Your praise of Tetra's engineers is commendable, but I think you are being somewhat modest. I speak in ignorance of assembling PE but I think your skill in assembling these parts gets the best out of them. 🙂 And like you I enjoy a bit of problem solving also in making models. I find it keeps the grey matter ticking over, and enhances the satisfaction of a completed model a little.

Please carry on, sir. Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for silence; work has been silly.  

When I picked things up again I was feeling a bit pom-pom’d out, so today’s game has been building her starboard seaplane crane [though could equally be port; they’re identical].

49764876903_fe5feb21cc_b.jpg

49765736202_92f185ef53_b.jpg

49764876893_11bc38bdd8_b.jpg

Completely Tetra OOB, except for the hinge on which the jib sits.  Tetra would have you build that from a laminate of two flat pieces, but I wasn’t convinced so replaced it with a section of 0.3mm Nickel Silver rod (Albion Alloys).

More soon

Crisp

• Like 19

The Brass Menagerie continues continues to grow in quality and abundance. 👏

That Tetra stuff is all completely knew to me (unsurprisingly) but the quality of observational detail it embodies is just stunning at this scale.

That’s really inspiring PE Crisp..

I may have missed it, but what do you use for glue? I’m always on a quest with PE to get the ‘magic’ solution...

Guy

• Like 1