Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

Wow, impressive detail indeed. That's a reaction to the brass, not the iPhone, although I guess it's due some credit!

It's all quite an incredible level of detail especially that second picture of the upper side floor plates.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Crisp, fine.  Crispin (my proper name), equally fine.  Even Crappers (my FAA nickname), fine (if you actually know me!)

Crispy?  Not fine.  

Bacon, duck skin, pork crackling, Findus flipping pancakes, all sorts of other stuff.  But not me.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 6

56 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Hang on a minute, I just checked mine again. It says made in Bath......

Terry

What! You got me, I even checked my packet. 

Then I remembered the date… :fool:

Good one Terry! :D 

• Haha 4

Tonight’s instalment - easy to describe, for once; finish folding and installing the other 4 gun breeches that mirror the 4 from the other day.  Then thread each brass barrel right through the block, all the way until the end of the barrel fits into the tiny hole at the inboard end of the breech.  Now you see why it was so vital to ensure that everything was properly lined up when building the block originally!... and hey presto!, you have something that’s starting to look like an 8-barrelled Pom-Pom:

49724304353_3e03fe90b9_b.jpg

49724304298_2af89a8cf6_b.jpg

49725160147_1722a392ee_b.jpg

Nice, huh? Tomorrow we move onto the ammunition feed on either side(unless work gets in the way; all a bit mad at the moment).

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 19

On 01/04/2020 at 00:26, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Crisp, fine.  Crispin (my proper name), equally fine.  Even Crappers (my FAA nickname), fine (if you actually know me!)

Are you entirely sure it was wise to mention the Crappers bit Crisp? We all want to know the reason now, don't we Guys?

The pom-pom is exquisitely beautiful. Well done that Earthling!

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Are you entirely sure it was wise to mention the Crappers bit Crisp? We all want to know the reason now, don't we Guys?

Crappers (or “Harry Crappers”) is quite widely used to mean socially confused, or whatever your euphemism of choice is for being drunk.  It arose on 705 (Gazelles); at the end of the course there was an awards night (best student, most improved over the course, highest ground school marks, plus many more light-hearted ones) sponsored by Pussers Rum.  I won 2 awards so by the end of the evening was speaking fluent nonsense, though very happy.  Less so the following morning, when I had the hang-over from Hell.  Two of my course-mates ended up on 820 with me, so the nickname stuck.

Everyone in the FAA has a nickname, and usually it’s the one that the recipient / owner least likes - none of your macho US-style “Maverick” nonsense.  

At the time I wasn’t wild about the name - some over-earnest nonsense about not wanting everyone to assume I was a p*ss-head (I wasn’t, especially by the standards of my contemporaries!).  It stuck nonetheless.  Now I’m perfectly fine with it (though only by my friends from that era).  By coincidence, one of my 705 course-mates lives not 10 minutes walk from me now, so any vague hope that my wife (who met me post-RN) might not know the name was quickly dashed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

OK... morning everyone.

We now move onto the ammunition feeds on both sides of the mounting.  Fairly obviously, these are a mirror image, so I’ll only show one side in construction.

You start off by building two of these; here shown after on left & before on right.  These represent pairs of ammo belts, and are a simple interlock of the grooved plate at bottom right with the piece seen above it, and then the ends folded down through 90 degrees.

49732923193_7f91e60538_b.jpg

You then fold the two boxes that will contain the ammo feeds; again before and after seen here.  The two long things sticking out & up eventually fold across the ammo feeds, but you have to get them in first!

49733790222_8b4356fb13_b.jpg

...like this.

49733790227_cb63757d90_b.jpg

...and eventually like this, with one ammo feed box on top of the other.  The pair is then glued into that circular plate - you can see the tabs on the boxes and the slots on the plate.  Finally, the foldy thing on the right fits around the bottom of the boxes.

49733790217_7d4d696468_b.jpg

Done at about 3 o’clock this morning when I couldn’t sleep!

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16