Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

On 3/6/2020 at 7:20 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The cutting block was a sample left over from some building project (before my time) at work.  It sat in my office for months, until I realised that it’s ideal for this purpose.  No bit of pesky brass is going to mess with that boy!

We had a kitchen worktop made of that stuff once, solid as a rock.

Great progress on those small things that really make a difference.

Terry

• Haha 2

On 3/6/2020 at 3:14 AM, dhogue said:
  Reveal hidden contents

....would the interior of the gun shield be painted white?

I am not 100% sure, but on the basis that surviving open-backed turrets (e.g HMS Cavalier) seem to have white innards, that’s what I’m going with (hence the white primer).  In the end virtually nothing will be visible inside, but we’ll know!

• Like 1

I’ve turned my attention back to the compass platform area, and I’m now preparing for the detailing.  There are a lot of intersecting parts, and painting - or even gluing - something in the wrong order could make a right mess.  So plan, test fit, plan again, assemble the various elements, measure, plan again - and paint the detail before fitting or it’s going to turn into a mess.

You have to start somewhere... so I did.  

I think I’ve posted this picture before but, in case I haven’t, I actually found it in an old Ian Allan special about the Swordfish; numerous gold dust details visible in here - the way the sirens are mounted on the front of the funnel, the assorted voice pipes and drains routed from the compass platform, even the “Beware of Airscrews” (or is that “aircrew”?) sign on the island...

And the raise-and-lower ?glass / perspex screens on the front of the compass platform.

Ark Royal island detail, pre-War

...which are actually something that’s missing from the Tetra detail-up set, so I’ve improvised, using some of Merit’s railings [sorry about the Coke bottle - I thought it might make it easier to see the brass, but should have had more faith in the iPad camera

49641560037_906696409e_b.jpg

The rest of the evening was spent cleaning up assorted bits of the wonderful North Star Models RN Bridge Equipment set...

From the top, two sights (one for each for’d corner of the compass platform), a good old fashioned binnacle (magnetic compass, Hendie), the central pelorus (gyro compass repeat) a set of voicepipes and.. the Captain’s chair

49641560382_eda38f84a2_b.jpg

And just because I couldn’t resist it, here’s the Captain’s chair roughly in situ:

49641559437_98b8202feb_b.jpg

More tomorrow

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 21

Yabadabadoo! Caught up at long last, taken all weekend due to the many diversions to Wikipedia to look up anything/everything, another diversion to LMS to pick up a Stringbag for the stash.

I have been laughing or close to tears, at the tales as they unwind.  The mention of Winkle Brown a reminder that my Grandad was a fellow survivor of the sinking of HMS Audacity.  The bringing-to-life of this great ship with photos from all over the world and the research that has gone into it.  

The skills on display from Crisp and Foeth are amazing, well done all!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

a good old fashioned binnacle (magnetic compass, Hendie), the central pelorus (gyro compass repeat)

got it!

this is coming along really nicely even if I have no clue what bits are being talked about.  It whiles away the evenings it does, staring at photos of floaty bits and trying to guess which particular bit you were talking about. I'm not sure I always got it right.

btw.. definitely Aircrew!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Gidday, I've probably said this before, I think it is small items such as the chair, sights, Hendie's binnacle etc that can highlight a model, and in builds such as this take it from very very good to exceptional. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That picture is rather good in terms of the amount of "stuff" that you can see. When you refer to the perspex screens in front of the compass platform, is that the level where I can see around 6 personnel (5 with hats and 1 without) standing? 

The Captains chair is a small work of art!

Terry

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

When you refer to the perspex screens in front of the compass platform, is that the level where I can see around 6 personnel (5 with hats and 1 without) standing? 

Yes - to their left as we look; above the wind deflectors

• Thanks 1

My wife and I are about to disappear to Lyon for a long weekend (we’re going ahead on the grounds that we’re no more or less likely to get Covid-doo-dah there than in London), so this will be the last update for a few days.

I’m continuing the process of detailing the compass platform (the bridge, to you non-mariners).  Inspired by a build of HMS Ajax by the wonderful John Haynes [https://johnrhaynes.com/ajaxjune09.html - particularly the bottom left photo on the linked page], I added a series of fairly random circles, pipes, lockers, voicepipes & squares.  They are mounted on some very thin styrene sheet (sorry, don’t know exactly how thin; I’ve had it for ages and it’s not much more than plastic paper).  Once painted, they will be added to the inside of the front wall - from left to right as we look: 

- Cdr Air’s panel looking onto the flight deck;

- the port side of the chart table [which is that box in the centre front] in front of the Captain; and

- the same for the starboard side.

49644776743_88d70e7f45_b.jpg

See y’all on the other side

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16

46 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

See y’all on the other side

Assuming good old Covid-doo-dah doesn't get us all, I think it's a little premature to expect to see us all "on the other side" just yet!

That bridge detail looks superb. I had enough challenges doing similar stuff on my Vosper in 1/72, and that link you shared shows a 1/192 example, so you really are upping the game here!

Enjoy Lyon.

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If it's not the cushions or the harnesses it's usually seating of some kind that impresses us most readily - ain't we a strange bunch?

Chair-thing and bridge-thing are utterly charming in their miniscule magnificence.

• Like 3

Nothing directly about Ark, but there is some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that I have (& have had for 25 years) a compromised immune system, so I am now officially self-isolating, probably for the next 12 weeks.  The good news is that, though some of Ark remains in London - notably the two hull halves and the flight deck - I have managed to get a lot of the model home safely, including all of the Tetra brass.  The island, boats, Swordfish and weapons should keep me occupied for easily 3 months!

• Like 19

It looks like I'll be in the same boat. I will work tomorrow and then close my office for a while. It is starting to hit the fan in Texas. My wife has a very compromised immune system also so we will be trying to isolate ourselves as much as possible. The only bright spot is the possibility of more modelling time. The model shows in the area are being canceled one after the other.

• Like 1

Well understood here. I suffer from Asthma which doesn't normally cause me a problem other than exposure to cats and dogs, but of late have had some of the symptoms we are told to watch for,so am self isolating.

I think we all have a rocky road ahead in many ways.

You take care Crisp.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear that Crisp/Terry/dhogue - but if I'm honest - good call.  Don't take chances and do Not underestimate the ease with which people seem to be catching this.

I work in Health.  The speed of this has caught everyone by surprise

As to modelling time - Yup! - and as I just posted to @beefy66, I suspect we have 3-4 months of this.  Expect government restrictions to get tighter and tighter.

Some tough times ahead..........

Looking forward to continued bedazzlement B)

Rob

• Like 1