Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ships are actually much easier to display than aircraft models; they’re shelf-shaped!

True.

Or...

... the place where you stay at during the week: has it got a spare room? That you can maybe permanently flood? That would make for a heck of a diorama... :D  :D  :coat:

Ciao

• Haha 4

OK.  We have a prototype Swordfish:

49465890727_4431155aee_b.jpg

49465669021_15eb636a3f_b.jpg

49465179143_6bfdc67ac0_b.jpg

49465668806_d1dc54c6c0_b.jpg

As you can see from that final shot, the upper wing is not glued - indeed, it will require a little more adjustment to the struts to get it to sit properly.  None the less, the concept is proven; this is roughly what I had in my mind’s eye all along.

49465901762_436d5c104a_b.jpg

This final picture shows what I have done: after the cabane struts from Tuesday had nicely cured (they are surprisingly robust, given that they are 0.2mm rod), I added 8 main struts from 0.4mm tube.  I’m using tube because I have no rod, but I might even experiment with squeezing the tube in pliers to flatten it a bit.  Alignment was achieved with the old jig, which gave a good visual indicator of angles.

The final stage in this lunacy must again wait for complete curing of the glue; I am going to experiment with rigging it.  I have two options; one is to use Uschi fine thread (which I use for ship rigging, and I have yards of the stuff) - however, it is not easy to manipulate in these tiny lengths, and it might be a bridge too far.  The other option is to use 0.1mm nickel silver rod - as I have already done on the tail.  When I started this, thread would definitely have been Plan A, but I am really pleased with the look of that tail, so rod might yet win the race.

This particular airframe will not be used on the final model, because it spent a few seconds (a while ago!) inside my land-lady’s dog’s gob, emerging almost unscathed... but not quite; the tail fin is bent markedly to starboard.  I will continue to use it for prototyping, therefore; still to be tried are thinner struts to connect the ailerons (0.3mm) and a torpedo sight (on the front of the cabane pyramid).  Most important of all, once I’m happy with it I will remove the rigging and use it to build the final jig.

It is not completely impossible that I might have a go at some slats on the top wing, too; I have a cunning plan!

For the eventual Stringbag production line I need to carefully work out the order in which to build; when to paint what, which glue to use where, and so on - I really do not want to be poking around any of this rigging malarkey with a paintbrush....  The final version cabane struts will be 0.3mm rather than 0.2mm, as here; it’s surprising how much visual difference that 0.1 of a mm makes, at least in real life.  Also, I’ve done some fettling of the rear cockpit opening, which was the wrong shape & too narrow - again, surprising how much visual difference that has made.

Finally, I am close to finishing some custom decals for the fuselages; the Merit wing roundels are fine, but the fuselage ones are the wrong type, and anyway I reckon some wee side numbers ought to be possible.

None the less, it is always a nice feeling when something you thought you might try actually turns out to be feasible, and even to look approximately how you thought it would.  

I know this is craziness, but it’s been a lot of fun - and besides, these 15 aircraft are going to be one of the main focal points of the entire model; might as well get them looking good.

More next week

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 18

Very nice Crisp :)

An idea (perhaps mad) would be to stick some 0.1mm rod in the tube and squish it so you get the aerofoil profile?

Mind you, at this scale, that might lead to madness…

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

these 15 aircraft are going to be one of the main focal points of the entire model; might as well get them looking good.

And I'm sure you will. Mind you, your test mule looks already very good to me - and if it weren't for the Gator's Grip bottle in the background, I'd have taken it for a much bigger scale! :worthy:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Giorgio.

Swift update: after I’d posted last night I managed another 30 mins or so at the bench, so I tried a bit of rigging.

As I suspected, handling Uschi line in these tiny lengths is fraught with frustration & the risk of knocking over the stuff you’ve done so far.  0.1mm nickel-silver rod, on the other hand, is a relative doddle, not least because you can hold it in the middle wih tweezers while gluing at either end - try doing that with a piece of thread 1cm long!

It’s only a single test wire, but I reckon it looks good.  All hail Rodney, the extremely thin future of teeny-tiny bi-planes.

49465808428_842319240b_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 23

Wibble.......

I am currently wrangling some Pontos 1/350 brass and I cannot believe your Zen like powers with such tiny parts, I am worrying for my sight and sanity!

When I get a problem or frustrated I now walk away, take a breath and say "What would Crisp do?" Seems to work.

Inspiring stuff that man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In that case you’ve pretty much nailed it: take a breath & walk away is exactly what Crisp does when I get frustrated.  

Frustration & thin brass should not be allowed to mix!  

Besides, why do you think my builds take so long?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OK, @giemme, just for you:

49483967493_9a53e0577b_b.jpg

All have had their (very overscale) moulded tailwheel removed, the locating slot for the Merit cabane plug filled, and the Observer / TAG cockpit reshaped, thus - to be sanded tomorrow.

49484947797_38da135f98_b.jpg

Two of the strike aircraft had the long-range tank fitted (& thus flew with only 2 crew), so they have now been started - a bit of tidying to be done when dry.

49484947012_be0db48d83_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Most impressive indeed. They will look splendid on the deck. Are you planning to finish them all off complete with paint and markings before returning to more of the ship construction? Can you feel my excited anticipation!

Terry

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Most impressive indeed. They will look splendid on the deck. Are you planning to finish them all off complete with paint and markings before returning to more of the ship construction? Can you feel my excited anticipation!

Probably not all the way yet, no - because I still need to finish designing the custom transfers (Merit / Trumpy’s are not exactly great - wrong type of roundel, out of register).  However, I’ll take them a fair way yet; drilled for cabane struts, exhausts added, oil coolers fitted, primed, lower wings prepared for struts, engines fitted.  If by then the transfers are done, I’ll keep going - but it’s not like I don’t have a thousand other bits to work on!  I have to do the transfers before fitting stuff like the horizontal tails (because the tails have  wires over the top of fin flashes), and the prototype has taught me that fitting the tail too early makes it very hard to hold the model while working on the wings!

I also haven’t yet finished prototyping - particularly the undercarriage; Merit’s is very flimsy and i do not trust it.

So still a lot to do, and sooner or later I’ll hit a bump that needs thinking about - at which point, knowing the way I work, I will probably pick up the island again or start on the port side.

• Like 6

On 30/01/2020 at 12:38, giemme said:

True.

Or...

... the place where you stay at during the week: has it got a spare room? That you can maybe permanently flood? That would make for a heck of a diorama... :D  :D  :coat:

Ciao

Might be a bit difficult transporting it to Telford though. :hmmm:

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Swordfish development continues: this evening a test run on the Merit undercarriage, added brass windscreen (courtesy of Tetra) and home-made exhaust (0.6mm brass tube).  [As it happens, this is one of the long range tank aircraft.  I have cleaned up the tank a bit, too.]. Edit: I am particularly chuffed with the exhaust pipe.

49489660862_1613c89108_b.jpg

Having worked out how to build it safely, I might have been premature in dismissing the Merit undercarriage - at least, the legs aren’t too bad; the wheels might need some work.

49488952328_a5ff6163b8_b.jpg

The angle isn’t quite right, but that’s OK because we’re lacking a tailwheel at the moment.

49488952768_3d67c888b5_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16

I like the rotation from ship to aircraft and so forth here Crisp - lovely to see the contrasting challenges of structure being resolved.

Doing a search through library catalogues at work for something entirely unrelated during  the week and thought of you when this popped up in a publisher's listing - wondered if you were aware of it:

9780714685694.jpg

https://www.routledge.com/The-Royal-Navy-in-the-Falklands-Conflict-and-the-Gulf-War-Culture-and/Finlan/p/book/9780714685694

The culture angle your home territory of course but wonder what conclusions and how valid that  the author draws from it...

• Thanks 1

That’s a new title on me, Tony - but the synopsis tells me absolutely nothing: “this book suggests that institutional culture can account for a great deal of the activities and rationale of the Royal Navy”.  In other news, the book also postulates the theories that some bears might occasionally defecate in forested areas, and that the man with the red socks in the Vatican might not be Lutheran.  Of course the culture accounts for a lot of the organisation’s activities; isn’t that kind of what ‘culture’ means?

Besides, why would I trust a writer who cannot spell the word ‘separate’ [”seperate”, apparently]?

Of course, it might be excellent.  At £120 for the hardback, that’s not something I’m likely to be exploring in full...

P.S. There are a number of excellent books about the Falklands, but if you read only one make it Hugh Bicheno’s “Razor’s Edge”.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

On 1/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

True, I could.  If I asked nicely, I might even persuade one of the home-brew PE alchemists on here [@Fritag ears burning, no doubt] to etch them for me.  

T’would be an honour to have even a teensy tangential involvement in this captivating Crisp construction (would even promise to fit it in between ski trips....) ;) 

• Haha 8

58 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That's defence procurement for you.... :evil_laugh:

Struth; if the book was commissioned under defence procurement rules, then I assume it was 4 years late, is missing [sorry, “fitted for, but not with”] at least 1 critical chapter, and will continue to cost us money long after it has been read and recycled as fertiliser.

Incidentally... <rant on>... I recently watched the ‘Fighter Pilot’ fly-on-the-wall series.  All good clean fun, but one thing really brought me up short; one of the RN students at Valley (i.e. on the Hawk, so not even at the end of the training pipeline) had been in the Navy for EIGHT YEARS.  And this was not even someone like me who was a converted seaman officer.  The flying training pipeline has become unbelievably sclerotic.  By the time I’d been in the RN for 8 years, I had fought in a war, qualified as an Ocean Navigator & Bridge Watchkeeper, served in 3 ships, done my entire flying training from soup to nuts, completed a front line tour on Sea Kings, and almost finished my Lynx conversion.  These poor b*stards must have spent aeons on tedious, menial hold-overs, gradually losing the will to live. I know things are different nowadays and old gits like me have been fulminating for centuries about how the modern version is rubbish... but I also know of two sons of Naval contemporaries of mine who got so fed up with waiting for Crapita to get their act together during recruitment that they gave up and went to work somewhere else.  

Cough.  <rant off>

47 minutes ago, Fritag said:

T’would be an honour to have even a teensy tangential involvement in this captivating Crisp construction (would even promise to fit it in between ski trips....) ;) 

That you, Herr Klammer; that’s most kind... but as it happens I have stumbled on / perfected [delete to taste] a method that doesn’t involve PE.  

I have even had a thought about how I can depict the 2 airframes in the attack that were fitted with ASV...

Pip pip, everyone

Crisp

[Incidentally, I understand that venturing into the maritime areas of BM is distinctly outside the comfort zone of several of my friends (Steve, Bill, Ced...) - which means that it’s fairly likely that you won’t have ventured into wooden Tudor warships.  If I am right in that hunch, I commend a few minutes reading the other BM Ark Royal build that’s going on at present, namely Ark 1 c.1587.  Some of the painting skill on display in there is jaw-dropping.  We can all learn from each other!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10