Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I thought it might give some perspective to see it from yet further back, so you can now see how much I’ve done.

That is indeed a lot of work done, with admirable care and patience. The port side will be a doddle for a man of such caliber .................. I'm sure!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Same formula as last night; an additional 30 or so scuttles added, plus some other details added and/or sketched in.  

First close up:

48877696717_46fec8e25e_b.jpg

Then a bit further back, to show how we’re edging closer to the stern:

48877499066_f506a40b21_b.jpg

By the way, just in case anyone has started to think I’m close to finishing the starboard side, this evening I worked out that I’m going to need over 70 ladder rungs (aka 2.5mm lengths of 0.2mm nickel-silver rod) on this side alone. That’s in addition to the 15 or so already fitted.  [If you’re wondering, that’s what the new pencil marks are about]

More after the weekend

Crisp-the-Scuttler

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 17

There.  That's me up to date with boatery (I 'spect that's the wrong term - and possibly a capital offence too.....)

Massively impressed Crisp.

Also, grateful to Alan for getting you to translate one post at least.  Generally I read this thread in split-screen with google ready for translation duties on the other :D

• Haha 7

Boatery will do.  

You’re right: it’s a while since I did a Hendie-speak translation post.

Ahem.  Cough.  

Ladies & gentlemen, I have added an awful lot of circular windows.  Right-hand side of boat almost done.  Left not yet touched.  I may be some time but I think it’s worth it.

• Haha 8

On 11/10/2019 at 07:40, Courageous said:

“The only difference between genius and insanity is that genius has its limits.”:police:

Would that be Port & Starboard?   :whistle:

12 hours ago, robgizlu said:

It's worth it!! B)

That says it all

:clap2:

Kev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone!

Are you ready for this?  Drum roll....   

The starboard side scuttles are all in place - the final 37 added this evening.  

48905693847_da485feaf2_b.jpg

48905483171_7f9b92a91d_b.jpg

...and here is the whole side - it has to be taken from a fair distance away because (lest we forget) this is not a small model.

Next up, to add the assorted ladders on this side.  But also to move elsewhere!

More soon

Crisp

• Like 17

I think the 27th from the left 4 levels down is upside down :whistle:.....

First it was riveting a Sea King; now its scuttling Ark Royal (that doesn't sound right somehow).

There's a sort of compellingly viewable, admirable OCD on display in your builds Crisp :D

Must have been a comfort for your crew down the back of the Sea King on a dark night over the oggsplosh to know that their commander didn't lack powers of concentration! :clap2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The starboard side scuttles are all in place - the final 37 added this evening.  

:yahoo: :clap: 

18 minutes ago, Fritag said:

There's a sort of compellingly viewable, admirable OCD on display in your builds Crisp

I say it's a nerve wracking thing :frantic:If I were to do anything like that, people (and by people I mean any human being) should be advised to stay a mile away from me or I'd bite them ... :frantic:

Ciao

• Haha 4

Is now a good moment to point out that there are (deliberately) actually two different sizes of scuttle involved?  [God, I worry myself sometimes...]

Special applause to anyone who can find all 19 of the smaller ones...

The thing about this rivet / scuttle / whatever mania is that I never set out with that intention.  In both cases, I reached a certain point in the build and compared what I had with what the real thing looked like... and wasn’t satisfied.  In the Hasegawa Sea King case, to my eyes it looked unrealistically smooth; in Ark 3, Merit had missed an entire deck of openings out and put others in the wrong place... so it just looked... unsatisfactory.  Even then, at first I thought I’d probably be able to replace / reposition a few and leave the originals to cover the rest.  

Ha!  So much for that!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Tomorrow evening we’re off on holiday for about 10 days, so this will be my last update for a while - at least on the model itself (depending on weather & internet connectivity in our cottage on the Isle of Wight, I might get a bit more done on the Stringbag mask design).

Much of today’s work has been the dull but vital business of cleaning things up, but I have added the quaintly old-fashioned “leaded lights” of what I believe is the Admiral’s stern walk.  I think these had no “glass” in them - just the frames - but I have yet to find a photo that’s completely conclusive.

Anyway, Tetra’s fit beautifully with a little TLC, and are in:

48910758417_e0c78d02a7_b.jpg

I’ve also started work on adding the rest of the assorted grilles etc. that appear all along the hull, especially at 3 Deck level [visible here between the two 4.5” sponsons; the ones further for’d are still just pencil marks].

48910550141_089eb12837_b.jpg

I’ll still be on BM, interweb connection permitting - but I’ll be many miles from the model itself, so that’s it for a week or so.

Thanks for support!

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 15

This is thoroughly inspiring stuff. The only issue is that you're making my kit seem more and more of a mission. I'm going to have to carefully study your thread. I don't mind doing the cutty-scrapy-gluey stuff to catch up but don't fancy retracing all of your steps with respect to the comparisons and research.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Jamie.  I am merely wheezing my way through the foothills of research in comparison with the @iangs of this world, I can assure you!

At some point before I start on the port side, I plan to do an annotated guide to what I have changed / added to starboard.  That might save you (& others) at least some of the research effort.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

At some point before I start on the port side, I plan to do an annotated guide to what I have changed / added to starboard.  That might save you (& others) at least some of the research effort.

This thread is already a key go to reference for me, and that would additionally be extremely helpful.

I hope you enjoy your IOW break. The place has enchanted me since childhood, and we often still visit - a delightful backwater if you know the places to go. We have the added novelty of seeing it every day. One of our upstairs bedroom windows looks due east, and (weather permitting) we have a great view of the Needles a mere 15 miles off. It was a very significant feature during my Monday watch NCI duties, in the Swanage lookout, a couple of summers ago - something I plan to go back to soon.

Terry

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

...and we’re back from the IoW, and back on working at Ark’s starboard quarter.  Specifically, adding the aft-most boat bay, complete with Tetra replacement boat chocks and extension to deck entirely missed by Merit.  Had to remove sone pretty juicy ejector pin marks inside, too.  Still, all in a day’s modelling fun.

48977253352_6ecf1c2b8c_b.jpg

48977073306_bcc3b5b4c9_b.jpg

More tomorrow

Crisp

• Like 17