RF-4C CR.12 Recce Phantom - Torrejon 1/48 - finished

exdraken

I've been looking at all the stuff I have on Phantoms I can't find any reference to the intakes/Splitter plates being different on various models.

Lots of other things were changed during its life but as far as I can tell from the B's on the intakes are the same, even the panel lines seem to match up. If there is a difference then we'll need an expert on the subject.

They have a different set for the F-4K and M versons which is understandable but have forgotten about the earlier B,C,D's??? 

I don't know why they've produced 2 versions that are essentially the same? Navy/Airforce??? I'd just stick with the E,F,G ones. Opps miss-read, the ones you have will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

w19Ka2S.png

these elevated reinforcement plates are a difference.... but the panels are the same on both kits and intakes....

I can't tell from photos if these exaggerated detail is present on the real plane or not.....

• Like 1

All Spanish RF-4Cs were former USAF birds and as such had the "short nozzle" engines (J79-15s in the last batch).

I'm not a 1/48 modeler thus not intimately familiar with the various Hasegawa Phantom boxings, but there are two possible reasons the aftermarket sets may differ:

1) Detail difference between the Navy and Air Force engine faces related to the respective services' starter systems. Not sure this is really visible since it's deep in the intakes and only a true rivet counter could distinguish the two, but it is a difference between the airframes.

2) IIRC there were some Hasegawa 1/48 Phantoms that have a different (earlier) fuselage tooling, including raised panel lines. Again not a 1/48 guy so I don't know for sure if all the aftermarket is for the same base tooling or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

:ditto:

Different intake bullet (generator vs starter) on Navy vs. AF types and different cross sections between early and later Hasegawa tooling.

thanks! so that would mean the bullet would be the correct one on the Dmold set... (airforce type) I guess.

what about the different cross section? no Idea what is the base for the RF model...... panel lines are definitely recessed!

• Like 1

some nozzle work here as well:

EtBGTBi.jpg

the big ones are either the Phantom short J79 nozzles (left), or the Atar9C version (middle down or up) . harder to tell in this picture ;)

Li7vaOj.jpg

without the flameholder installed

afterburner flame holder sections and turbine:

KN0RR61.jpg

cEIrvdN.jpg

now it is time to make it fit! (the burner section is a bit long and interferes with the wing carry-through design of the Hasegawa Phantom.... :( maybe 1-2 mm.... 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

a bit on the backbuner lately, not the afterburner....

painted and mounted the recce nose components:

vtABy7Q.jpg

lBxkuQB.jpg

pgvHSVK.jpg

really like those shapes!

5niI6My.jpg

some more pre-shading

hQcX0HE.jpg

ready for paint?

• Like 6

painting has started :)

underside is painted in Revell 371 with a drop of light brown... 

searching for photos, those Spanish low viz Phantoms are like chameleons! depending on the light and weather, they are close to white grey light overall or a really dark and dirty grey.... apart form partly very very worn looks!

BUcYuPV.jpg

JwYz5kX.jpg

• Like 3

this weekends summary:

masking for the metallic exhaust area

base aluminium metal paint, Alclad chrome and gun metal shades..

sVyAAgW.jpg

QtclXWz.jpg

probably seen better in daylight pics I have to admit!

and decaling started:

kx46Nsr.jpg

very extensive decals and stenciling for 4 possible paint schemes are provided  :)

57CBvOP.jpg

the walkways are also decals, not sure, I guess that is how they look directly after the paint-shop... after some dirty boots hit them, I guess they get a more stained color.. looks will probably improve after weathering!

3dSYSJj.jpg

iR49P9K.jpg

9KDQQe2.jpg

cheers,

Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

finally some updates:

HRika3O.jpg

resin nozzles are Eduard Brassin, and needed some slight grinding and removal of part of the wing part that goes through the fuselage (not visible form the outside...)

XiVoQdN.jpg

some harm was done to the metal area .. but will be repaired/ not visible after the nozzle feathers are installed

landing gear mounted

Gv0yY1R.jpg

and already on its legs :)

Master pitot is also on by the way.. should have done that a bit earlier... nose tip needs painting anyways though!

Edit: some better photos ;)

MKGCKLm.jpg

vu43yGj.jpg

bbpKriW.jpg

7Box6JD.jpg

quite dirty, especially I added dirt to the walkways. the decals were way to clean! just like out of the paint shop!

hope to finish her soon! it is a bout time!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 4