RF-4C CR.12 Recce Phantom - Torrejon 1/48 - finished

exdraken

Hi everybody!

this GB came a bit as a surprise, at least to me!

Nevertheless I wanna participate....

The idea is to build a

Spanish Airforce CR.12 aka RF-4C Recce Phantom

Torrejon/ Madrid, of Ala.12

I have a Hasegawa RF-4B as a start... and decals!

some aftermarket stuff might be added later on... when I went through the storage ;)  

so if you experts do not tell me this is a no go, or even better on how the tackle this in order to get details more or less right I am in for it!

WqoBTGV.jpg

Series-Espanolas:

I could also do the final special.... but more inclined to one of the 4!! in service color schemes!

• Hill
  • Europe 1
  • SEA 
  • Low Viz....

some of the drawings show different nose layouts... who can help me on that?

thanks!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

I could also do the final special.... but more inclined to one of the 4!! in service color schemes!

• Hill
  • Europe 1
  • SEA 
  • Low Viz....

Line birds are the best birds.  :thumbsup:

I'll look through a couple of my reference books when I get home to see if they call out any noticeable differences between the noses of the B & C.  I don't believe there are...but I've certainly been wrong before.

• Like 1

I know theres a difference in the shape. Im not sure but i think the early RF's had a chiseled nose and the later noses were more smooth and rounded. I found another good link with some photo's of Greek F-4s. And it does show the two nose types as well. 

https://www.modellingnews.gr/el/νέα-μοντελισμού/rf-4e-f4e-phantom-under-skin-volume-2-ioannis-lekkas-ilias-gkonis-eagle-aviation

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hi everybody!

this GB came a bit as a surprise, at least to me!

Nevertheless I wanna participate....

The idea is to build a

Spanish Airforce CR.12 aka RF-4C Recce Phantom

Torrejon/ Madrid, of Ala.12

I have a Hasegawa RF-4B as a start... and decals!

some aftermarket stuff might be added later on... when I went through the storage ;)  

so if you experts do not tell me this is a no go, or even better on how the tackle this in order to get details more or less right I am in for it!

WqoBTGV.jpg

Series-Espanolas:

• Hill
  • Europe 1
  • SEA 
  • Low Viz....

some of the drawings show different nose layouts... who can help me on that?

The major difference between (most) RF-4Bs and the RF-4C is that all RF-4Cs have the "thick" wing with a bulged inner section (top and bottom) common to all variants produced from the F-4C on.

The good news for you is that there was an attrition batch of RF-4Bs built later that slso feature the thick wing.  I'm not 100% sure about the 1/48 kit, but the 1/72 Hasegawa RF-4B includes both thin and thick wing parts (the box art bird is one of the late batch, so at a minimum your kit should have the thick wing).

Spain's RF-4s were all ex-USAF or ANG RF-4Cs (intial deliveries in 1978, follow-on batch in 1989), thus all are unslatted ("hard" wing) and have unslotted stabilators.  Likewise all have the early J79 engines with the shorter exhaust nozzles (I believe both are in the kit).

The nose fairing varied over time on US aircraft so you'll have to check photos for 100% accuracy, but both the early "faceted" nose and the later "rounded" version were used by Spain. Again, I believe your kit should include both options.

Also worth noting is that late in their service life Spain's RF-4s had bolt-on refueling probes added (similar style to the Israeli version). I'm not sure the exact timing of this update but I know it included the anniversary bird. Will have to let the 1/48 experts tell you if there's aftermarket for this, but it's not the most complex piece to scratch from proper gage wire with a few detail bits added.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've just been going over the RF-4B and RF-4C versions released by Hasegawa, you're lucky the basic boxings are the same. The only difference is the "G" & "H" sprues in the kits, "G" for the Navy RF-4B and "H" for the RF-4C. The differences are the AIM-9's and the elevators, Un-Slotted for the RF-4C and Slotted for the RF-4B, so that should be ok.

Everything else you need is in the box.

You may want to get the instructions for the RF-4C, it'll make fitted the right parts a bit easier.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-09557-rf-4c-phantom-ii-usaf--159377

As far as the IFR probe you'll have fun here finding anything in 1/48th, I've been looking for my Israeli F-4E Kurnass! AirDOC's use to do one but it's long gone! Isracast does one in 1/32nd, Maestro Models does one in 1/72nd. The only one I've found is from Wingman Models, they're based out of Germany. I was going to get one, they were only 8 Euro, but they wanted 48 Euro shipping!!!! They don't post they courier!! 

https://wingmanmodels.com/wm/Pulsar/en_US.Store.display.137./wmf48018-f-4-refuelling-boom

If you can get one for a reasonable price let me know, I may see if you can buy one for me.

Spruebrothers have it listed but it's out of stock.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

https://wingmanmodels.com/wm/Pulsar/en_US.Store.display.137./wmf48018-f-4-refuelling-boom

If you can get one for a reasonable price let me know, I may see if you can buy one for me.

Spruebrothers have it listed but it's out of stock.

I'll take a few!

@CT7567 hit the nail on the head in regards to the nose fairing as the Spanish RF-4C's used both types so you have to make sure which one you're using.

• Like 1

thanks everybody!

no progress as of yet, apart from me going through the accessories stash....

3PZxiIh.jpg

anything to watch out for/ anthing not suitable for this one?

Eduard Brassin seats and wheels, DMold seamless intakes and compressor face, Master pitot

bLvF9XN.jpg

Eduard Brassin seats and wheels, DMold seamless intakes and compressor face, Master pitot

no you recommend any specific resin/ PE nozzles?? what is your experience? I assume either Aires or Eduard short nozzles would be to be considered....

Thanks!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 12:28 AM, trickyrich said:

what are the DMold intakes like? I have a set of Cutting Edge ones, they don't look too bad but will need a bit of work to tidy up.

they are very nice of course! I only started today to clean sprues, etc...

what puzzles me a bit it that Dmold states that tehy are only for Hasegawa E/F/G models.... where is the difference?

who knows?

what I can see is that Hasegawa molded on some enforcementnt? plates that are not present in relief form on the resin parts.... can't see those parts on photos of Spnish RF-4C either...

• Like 1

started painting by the way...

cockpit in some Revell 76 grey... lets see 

and the landing gear parts white.... still not sure about the intakes

this plastic, compared to the Hasegawa Mitsubishi F-1 I am building in the Asia 80ies GB, is soft....strange! it is my first Hase Phantom..... so maybe that is supposed to be so ;)

also the fit is something I am not expecting wonders after the first dry-fit session! - does my opinion about Hasegawa get shattered just now????

and .. those missiles, not needed for the RF-4---but is still somebody using them? they are so out of this modern modelling world, where AMK, GWH, Tamiya, etc do excellent ones... not to mention Brassin examples! :(

lVjofvN.jpg

maybe the center tanks can be used.... and the wheels, but those misssiles? (there are actually 4 more Sidewinders in the kit,equally boring...,,,)

what is the guy in the left foreground by the way? ;)

XFXlHYu.jpg

Edited by exdraken
pic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Mitsubishi F1?? :D

you cheated? impossible to know........ :P;)

no idea about the suitability of the Dmold intakes, so out they are.. :(  I did a basic cockpit and closed the fuselage today

vug5vJE.jpg

ZNo3AiF.jpg

AIdKKq1.jpg

• Like 6

the F-1 has such a unique shape, it's pretty easy. It's what you'd get if you put a Jaguar and a Mirage F-1, in a dark hanger with some Barry White music!  :D

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the F-1 has such a unique shape, it's pretty easy. It's what you'd get if you put a Jaguar and a Mirage F-1, in a dark hanger with some Barry White music!  :D

Yeah.... the fuselage also reminds me of the phantom....

And I thought you had a look in the Asian GB... :D

• Haha 2

looking quite ok already after only a very few days!

the fuselage  to wing joint was great, a LOT better than expected therefor ;)

Phantom outline: 

Jwk58ef.jpg

Recce Phantom:

fa8ztF1.jpg

I like the nose line a lot!  very different to the usual C/ E models!

and flying around:

4D8UB1t.jpg

will replace the nozzles... not sure which ones yet!

cheers!

• Like 6

found short nozzles in  an Eduard boxing of the F-4C :) for the Academy kit but look like they fit well!

hyORHon.jpg

not glued or anything and just the rear nozzle part:

3tT7RKO.jpg

in comparison;

2LW5GzI.jpg

jqsXQaS.jpg

I guess it is worth it!

or do you have better suggestions?

• Like 3

On 7/13/2019 at 6:58 PM, exdraken said:

no idea about the suitability of the Dmold intakes, so out they are.. :( 

That's a real (BIG) missed opportunity since the DMold intakes correct one of the Hasegawa Phantoms' biggest shortcomings. XMM intakes are a good DMold substitute.

EDIT: Should you want to try the XMM intakes on your next Phantom, here's some discussion on those intakes, starting with the original molds and subsequent corrections.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

31 minutes ago, Gene K said:

That's a real (BIG) missed opportunity since the DMold intakes correct one of the Hasegawa Phantoms' biggest shortcomings. XMM intakes are a good DMold substitute.

EDIT: Should you want to try the XMM intakes on your next Phantom, here's some discussion on those intakes, starting with the original molds and subsequent corrections.

Gene K

I asked for input before, now the fuselage is closed and any surgery impossible..... maybe you can enlighten me on the differences between intakes for the E/F/G model and the J/ S RF ones...

I am stuck... that is why I did not use the ones dedicated for the E/F/G on my RF-4C.....

F-4J-RF-4_page.JPG1-48_F4_intakes.JPG

XMM do not help either!

1-48-F-4J-Phantom-II-intakes-81.jpg1-48-F-4E-Phantom-II-intakes-8-1.jpg

what is the difference???

thanks!

(the link is for 1/72... nor sure if helpful!, but still thanks!)

any issues with my nozzle selection?

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2