F205 Dornier Do-17 Finnish long overdue ++++FINNISHED+++++

JOCKNEY

Time for an update 

IMG_4504

For the Black I decided to go with Revell 9, which I thought would look like a weathered black.

Too late I realised the paint was like treacle !

IMG_4505

At the recommendation of @vppelt68 next came the Humbrol 117 

IMG_4506

IMG_4507

To try to redeem the situation, I overpainted the Revell 9 with Humbrol 33, which seems much better

IMG_4508

IMG_4509

So yellow bits to do oh and of course canopy masking / painting !

cheers Pat

• Like 9

Hi Pat,

when all else fails, Humbrol to the rescue! It always works!

I like your take on the Heinkel, very much. I know very little about the Finnish air force history and camouflage, but you have the right person advising you. It does look good!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 1

This is looking really good Pat and am glad you covered the Black paint with a better layer of Humbrol 33. The Finnish scheme is very nice and this will look a treat once it's all finished. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Pat this looks SO good! Revell #9... well, I have one tin and I used it once or twice to try some detail painting with it before I decided it's best to be never used again! Hu 33 on the other hand, I shall never let me run out of it! That's why I have bought this Big One 🙂

2018-09-07_03-02-14

• Like 6

Looking good Pat, this is an interesting scheme. I had the same issue with Revell Matt black too and have never used it since and keep a supply of Humbrol 33 so I don't run out too.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of update, the masking of the clear parts has been a complete pain in the (insert word of choice !) 😡

Should be able to show some progress later this week if my patience lasts !

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, clear parts now finished, and decals being applied.

We have company tonight so Mrs Jockney has banned modelling so I should get a chance to finish tomorrow. No I appreciate this will come as shock, one of the hosts finishing a build ! 

I know @Rabbit Leader has done one but he has always been an over achiever :giggle:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

Ok so having plied Mrs Jockney with half a bottle of Mateus Rose, and a good few After Eights, I can sneak into the other room and post a quick pre decal picture !

IMG_4542

A bit of tidying to do but nearly there !

cheers Pat

• Like 10

Now I don't want to cause any alarm amongst the Frog Squad GB fraternity, but I have actually finished a build !

You don't believe me ? Well fortunately I took some pictures.

IMG_4547

IMG_4548

IMG_4549

IMG_4550

IMG_4551

IMG_4552

I would like to dedicate the build to my mate a co-host V-P @vppelt68

cheers Pat

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Well done indeed Pat and although we've been keyboard sparring for a good few months now, I am very pleased that you've been able to get this Dornier finished and finished off rather well. The 'Finnish' paint scheme really is a lovely collection of colours and suits the 'Flying Pencil' quite nicely. This GB has been a long but fruitful exercise so it's nice to be able to sit back and say that all the hard work was worth it in the end. Now sit back and go and enjoy a Whiskey or three!. With plenty of Aussie builds and now one from Finland completed, all we need is a Frog kit from the ScAF (Scottish Air Force) to honour the nationalities of the three GB hosts!   

Cheers and well played .. Dave 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What a beauty, Pat!

Would you believe our poor but determined air force used these as late as in the summer of 1944?! Their darkest hour came June 11 that year when six of our Dorniers were thrown among with other types of our up-to-date bombers (short and long-nose Blenheims, war booty Ilyushins and Tupolevs) against the rapidly advancing Red Army in the Karelian Isthmus; in a few minutes time two were shot down by Soviet AAA and a third one by our own AAA :weep:. V-P

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

It's amazing that this and the equally elderly Monogram kit were the the best representations of such an important type until the very recent past. 

Lovely job, still scrubs up nicely. 

John 

• Thanks 1