F205 Dornier Do-17 Finnish long overdue ++++FINNISHED+++++

JOCKNEY

Found over the weekend, this kit had been previously started before I got it.

As there is a Finnish version available it would be just plain rude not to dedicate it to my mate and our Co-host V-P  @vppelt68

Pictures below

IMG_4434

IMG_4433

IMG_4435

Goodness only knows if I'll get a chance to finish it but fingers crossed !

cheers Pat

• Like 10

I was going to quote the well known Chinese proverb "To finish, first you must start Grasshopper" but then I noticed you were about to start your Renzan. I know it is not supposed to be very accurate but I like the Do17Z and have another one in my stash - and anyway the Airfix one is also said to have accuracy issues (engine cowlings I think).

Only a couple of months before the seaplane build starts so we will both need to crack on a bit. At least I do not have your admin workload!

Good luck.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So you finally found that Dornier, hey Pat? 

This should be a nice build and if I recall the plastic, the kit looked to be a fairly clean, hassle free build with some nice glazing. The Finnish option will look good and will at least keep (You Know Who) happy!. Now looking at that box art, is that from the orange or yellow range .... I can't quite tell? - on 2nd thoughts; perhaps I shouldn't go there! 

Cheers and good luck with this one, she'll be a good'n.. Dave 

• Haha 6

I have joined the BM September 28, 2012. Check the date of this post... yes, my very first one! And after all these years and group builds attended, I have yet to build that Frog Do 17! Fortunately Pat is now building one and I shall eat a truckload of :popcorn: while watching him do it :yahoo:

V-P

• Like 3

I remember building the Revell release with the later FROG box art. I think I probably replaced the guns with spares from an Italeri He111 - still a fantastic source for finely moulded weapons - but apart from that it was out of the box. 

John 

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

I have lost track of all the builds you have started... This Dornier is possibly the most exciting entry among your 18 builds entered in this GB! What? I have missed a few more?

Finnish markings are special as well, so go for it!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am working away from home for a few days this week, leaving tomorrow morning so it occurred to me this would be a good chance to take the Do-17 with me and make some progress.

So what Humbrol colours do I take away with the kit ?

So far its

interior cockpit RLM66 - H79 or H67

Interior wheel wells RLM 02 - H240

underside RLM 65 - H65

On top RLM 72 & 73 I'm using H243 & H244

plus a yellow

Are these kosher for my Finnish aircraft ?

cheers Pat

• Like 3

On 14/07/2019 at 22:56, JOCKNEY said:

I am working away from home for a few days this week, leaving tomorrow morning so it occurred to me this would be a good chance to take the Do-17 with me and make some progress.

So what Humbrol colours do I take away with the kit ?

So far its

interior cockpit RLM66 - H79 or H67

Interior wheel wells RLM 02 - H240

underside RLM 65 - H65

On top RLM 72 & 73 I'm using H243 & H244

plus a yellow

Are these kosher for my Finnish aircraft ?

cheers Pat

Cockpit was RLM 02, wheel wells too, underside DN- colour which was RLM 65; tops... never those RLM 72 and 73, but olive green Hu 117 and black Hu 33, which could and should be a bit faded, but not a very dark grey but Black!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pat. The Cocardes website has a model of the Do17Z in Finnish colours and it looks very smart. They have used OD, perhaps H117 or even H155, and what looks like a very dark grey - RLM66 maybe but local knowledge clearly says black so I would go with that. If you want to weather it a dash of dark grey may be acceptable. H65 looks good for unders.

Good luck.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Ladies and Gents

This is a live update from the Premier Inn, Castleford

IMG_4484

Having had my tea and resisting the temptation to have another beer at the bar, work shall resume on the Do-17 tonight

cheers Pat

• Like 9

That looks great - it really looks the part.

Ahh, I do so miss my Travelodge evenings-in with a bit of plastic now that I don't schlep around the country anymore. 😀

• Haha 1

Glad to see this one taking shape and I probably would have had that extra beer Pat, might have hidden all those gaps and imperfections a little! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Glad to see this one taking shape and I probably would have had that extra beer Pat, might have hidden all those gaps and imperfections a little! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Ouch :tomato:

The kits not the problem it's the modeller that's letting the side down !

cheers Pat

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Ouch :tomato:

The kits not the problem it's the modeller that's letting the side down !

cheers Pat

Time for another beer Pat!

• Haha 3

Ah, back home to the sun bleached Scottish highlands, yes its piddling down !

You will remember before starting this kit the previous owner had kindly glued the 2 fuselage halves together without including any of the contents. Like a muppet I forgot to photograph the cockpit crew before I started trying to wrestle them into the cockpit, to say it has been a struggle would be an understatement, and I still haven't attempted the instrument panel !

IMG_4485

Having painted the machine guns without my glasses on I failed to notice that 2 of them are not properly moulded. Picture below, these all have the same part number so should be identical.

IMG_4487

I don't think I have spares so I will need to decide which of these will be the least noticeable when assembled.

Is this unique to my kit or have other people come across this issue ?

cheers Pat

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Pat,

Just enlarged the pic of the sprues on the Cocardes site and they are the same! The ventral one and the "fixed" forward firing pilot's gun might be the best option for the short ones. Must check the one in my stash. Fortunately I have some resin MG15 which I could fall back on, together with spares from various Italeri kits such as the He 111

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Time for an update

Wing assembly done, engines and undercarriage fitted, but filling required 

IMG_4490

wing attached to fuselage, more filling required however

IMG_4492

Getting there

IMG_4491

cheers Pat

• Like 11