Tamiya 1/35 M4A3 "Easy 8" - my first tank!

This is my first ever armor armour build.  I have done only WWII era planes up to now (and one WWI biplane that I botched beyond mentioning).  I got this kit just to see how I liked it and I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit!  It was a tremendously straight forward kit - not a single build problem at all.  Painted in Mission Models olive drab FS34088 (they make about 6 shades of US olive drab).  Aside from a little postshading, weathering is all with oils.  

As this is my first attempt at this type of kit, I would very much like to hear some constructive criticism.  I feel that I have over weathered a bit, but that's a constant concern coming from aircraft.  I did plan on doing the tank commander figure that comes with the kit, but he had a little misadventure, and I'm waiting for a replacement part to come from Tamiya in order to finish that portion.  Thanks for looking!

20190624-234313.jpg 20190624-234326.jpg 20190624-234341.jpg 20190624-234350.jpg 20190624-234355.jpg 20190624-234415.jpg 20190624-234422.jpg 20190624-234436.jpg

Edited by Bstarr3
  • Like 13

Pretty good for a first attempt. Tamiya is certainly a good way to dip your toe in the water, nicely engineered & not over complex. Weathering looks fine to my eyes, the logs on the side are tied on, maybe the jerrycans should be secured as well. :goodjob:

Pete

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Pretty good for a first attempt. Tamiya is certainly a good way to dip your toe in the water, nicely engineered & not over complex. Weathering looks fine to my eyes, the logs on the side are tied on, maybe the jerrycans should be secured as well. :goodjob:

Pete

Thanks. I was thinking of scratching up some more stowage on the back, so I didnt secure the Jerry cans yet

55 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

👌

welcome to what some call the dark side 😀

Thanks. I definitely still prefer planes,  but I loved no canopy masking!

• Like 1

My very first model tank was also a Tamiya M4A3E8 Sherman. But the first Tamiya version which I bought back around 1976. It cost me less than two pounds. 

I was very pleased with it but I doubt I did as good a job. 

2 hours ago, Getting Old said:

Looks very nice. In fact, for a first effort it's very good :like:

40 minutes ago, noelh said:

My very first model tank was also a Tamiya M4A3E8 Sherman. But the first Tamiya version which I bought back around 1976. It cost me less than two pounds. 

I was very pleased with it but I doubt I did as good a job. 

Cheers! 

• 2 weeks later...

That looks very good Bstarr3. The weathering looks good to me too. It's a very subjective subject - weathering. Let's face it - from being brand new off the production line to lying on it's side in a ditch after a massive battle - there's a whole range of weathering states you could portray a tank in. Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix