Can't "unstrike" strikethrough on post

Here's the post in question.

I've seen this a time or two before, and I think also seen it evident on some other people's posts.  I was typing merrily along, and "the system" decided to strike-through a block of my text.  I don't think that I had accidentally "tripped" over some secret keyboard command by accident.  When I go in and select the relevant text, the "strikethrough" symbol, as well as one of the paragraph format symbols, is grey-lit to indicate that it is in play.  But clicking on that symbol doesn't toggle it off again.

Not a big deal, but since it isn't a one-time phenomenon I figured I'd shout it out.

Initiated on a PC (Windows X) using Firefox, and I tried to go in on my Mac using an older Firefox, but that didn't work either.

6 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Here's the post in question.

I've seen this a time or two before, and I think also seen it evident on some other people's posts.  I was typing merrily along, and "the system" decided to strike-through a block of my text.  I don't think that I had accidentally "tripped" over some secret keyboard command by accident.  When I go in and select the relevant text, the "strikethrough" symbol, as well as one of the paragraph format symbols, is grey-lit to indicate that it is in play.  But clicking on that symbol doesn't toggle it off again.

Not a big deal, but since it isn't a one-time phenomenon I figured I'd shout it out.

Initiated on a PC (Windows X) using Firefox, and I tried to go in on my Mac using an older Firefox, but that didn't work either.

No idea what was going on there, you must have entered some strange keyboard combo.  Had to delve into my limited HTML5 to get it fixed ?

On 6/25/2019 at 9:18 PM, Graham Boak said:

I've wondered how to strike through text.  I don't think that I get a strikethrough symbol.

It's on the toobar above message box where you write. B = Bold, I = Italic U with line underneath = Underline and S with a line through it = Strikethrough

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Thanks, but this is not on the version of Chrome on my Android Nexus, which I'm currently using.  Later today I'll look for it on my Windows desktop.

Its on the forum tool bar, should not matter what browser you use.

Ive checked and its the same for me under IE, Edge, Chrome, and safari

If you're using a tablet or phone, the toolbar becomes smaller to fit into the screeen's real estate unless you force it to display the desktop site.  IIRC, pressing CTRL-D in Word or by accidentally pressing the strikethrough button like I just did.

Incidentally, did you try using the format eraser to remove the strickethrough?  I just did and it works :D Highlight the text you want de-striking, and press the little parallelogram rubber icon to the left of the link icon ;)

29 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Checked again, and no it isn't.  As I write now I only have bold, italic and underline.  Plus six other irrelevant ones.

Can we have a screenshot please Graham?  Also, if you can give me specs of your hardware and software for whichever of your devices that are affected, we can take it further.  Also, what do you mean by "irrelevant ones"?  Can you give them names?

Now in Chrome on desktop Windows PC, and I have the Sstrikethrough there.  So thanks for that guidance.  I'm now happy that I can use it on the event of thinking it amusing.

Mike, my tablet is a Nexus 7 running Chrome on Android 6.0.1  By Irrelevant I meant not in the box dealing with font matters - they are Link, Quote, Emoji in one box, Bulleted List and Numbered List in a third box, and Preview.  If there is a known input to expand the tool box then I'd like to know it, but please don't spend any of your time digging deeply.  I can cope with being able to do strikethroughs on the desktop.  The Nexus has been a superb device but is starting to misbehave and its replacement has been bought already - but until it dies it's still a useful device.

10 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Nexus has been a superb device but is starting to misbehave and its replacement has been bought already - but until it dies it's still a useful device.

I had one of the original Nexus 7s, and my son used it until Google cut it off from Play, making it pretty much useless.  I had the 2nd gen one and it was a nicer tablet, just not that different, so I went with something else in the end.

I've had a quick look round for a shortcut for strikethrough, and the only way of doing on a mobile device is to request the desktop version of the site from the browser's menu.  It's just a tickbox, and will give you the same screen you get on your desktop only in Small-O-Vision.  Can be a bit fiddly at times on a small screen, but pinch-to-zoom is handy when you can't see anything!  If you simply must strike through something, that's what you have to do :) Personally, I wouldn't bother myself ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Incidentally, did you try using the format eraser to remove the strickethrough?  I just did and it works :D Highlight the text you want de-striking, and press the little parallelogram rubber icon to the left of the link icon ;)

The original poster did try that, and I tried it in edit mode without any success.

Looking at the source code there was some fairliy strange looking code in there :worry: which I had to remove, not sure where it came from?

39 minutes ago, Julien said:

Looking at the source code there was some fairliy strange looking code in there :worry: which I had to remove, not sure where it came from?

Lidl? :shrug: Did you keep a copy for diagnosis?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 12:15 PM, Mike said:

On 6/29/2019 at 2:12 PM, Julien said:

The original poster did try that, and I tried it in edit mode without any success.

Actually, no, I don't believe that I did.  To be honest I've never spent more than a few seconds pondering what the "eraser" was for, though I did recognize what the icon was trying to depict.  (Nor did I remember to hover and wait for helpful text to appear!)

I still don't think I accidentally "typed" source code.  I trip over keys from time to time, so I think I'd have noticed had I done so then.  That's not meant to sound "arch", just factual, as far as memory can be trusted.  I do remember "not remembering" tripping at the time.

I'll report here should I discover it happening again... meanwhile, thanks again for fixing it!

• 4 months later...

I had a look at this instance, and there's just a bit of code inserted at the beginning and end of each line of the post:

<p>
	<s><span style="text-decoration:line-through;">&nbsp; </span></s>
</p>

No idea how it got there, but only Mods can remove it as we have access to the underlying code.  I couldn't remove it using the usual Strikethrough button of the eraser, so maybe it's a bug.  Has it been fixed in the new update I installed the other day?  Not sure.  Time will tell :)

• Thanks 1

Nigel, being able to add and remove strikethrough has always (as far as I know) worked.  What happened with me, and I think with Mikey in the recent thread, was an inadvertent striking through that, I believe, was not "accidentally commanded" by the writer [as in hitting a key/command by mistake].  I also think that in both cases there was posting of images or other links involved at the time, which might be a very sloppy clue.  In these circumstances, it seems impossible for us mere mortals to edit and fix it.

• Like 1