1958 BOAC scheme

bzn20

Does anyone know what shade of yellow for the thin Yellow cheatline edging on the BOAC Comet 4,Brits etc. 1957 ish -64 scheme

This scheme .

https://www.amazon.com/Jetliner-Aircraft-Original-Vintage-Postcard/dp/B00P4UPZSS

Thanks very much in advance !

Hi,

I've just had a rummage through my decal collection and all but one (Roden Britannia) use a yellow which matches Humbrol 69. But it's a very thin line with an equally thin white line below that. I hope you're designing decals and not masking it!!

If you haven't got it already I can recommend Heathrow in Photographs by Adrian M. Balch as there is a very nice pic of G-APDM in that scheme on page 86.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much Ian . Been thinking buying that book . Knew him at Brize in the 70s/80s . AMB moniker on here !

In the 1947 BOAC scheme, the outline to the Speedbird and so on is painted Gold.  No specification, just Gold.  In the printed Design Standards book it is a metalic gold.

In the 1965 BOAC scheme, all the gold parts are gold Scotchcal - a decal, very shiny, comes in big sheets and still available.  First use of this seems to have been on the VC10s, or possibly 707s.

In between, there was no one standard.  The outline to the blue stripe was first applied to the 'Monarch' class Stratocruisers - the other external difference on those is that they have the crest on the nose.  That should have been metallic gold to match the gold on the crest decal, but it would appear that some of the maintenance people interpreted 'gold' as a shade of yellow.  Non-metalic paint was cheaper and easier to apply, so yellow-called-gold was fine.  Again there doesn't seem to be a single published standard, but it's most likely that the contemporary Dulux catalogue would hold the shade that most, if not all, used.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Lazy8 .. The first Gold Speedbird was for the 1st Standard VC10 service April 1964 and done in secret until the morning it was rolled out for the Oceanic Building stands (became T3 ) to eye balls on stalks , jaws dropped !. That had the Gold foil edging and stepped cheatline , full stops between each BOAC letter, typeface changed before April 65 to the Blockier letters used on..... The 1965 Gold Speedbird scheme for the 1st Super service in April 1965 .  A cheaper version, less foil which was expensive , smoother line to the cheatline, no Gold edging . Trouble with colour "titles" is it confuses , look at heraldry's colour titles or a car companies idea of burnt orange ,silly "Sunburst" across several makes and Dulux "Spice" … ? Just for ordering .. gimme some spice ! . Don't suppose light ,medium and deep Yellow would work either ! I'm sure like you said Gold meant Yellow in this case .

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, bzn20 said:

Thanks Lazy8 .. The first Gold Speedbird was for the 1st Standard VC10 service April 1964 and done in secret until the morning it was rolled out for the Oceanic Building stands (became T3 ) to eye balls on stalks , jaws dropped !. That had the Gold foil edging and stepped cheatline , full stops between each BOAC letter, typeface changed before April 65 to the Blockier letters used on..... The 1965 Gold Speedbird scheme for the 1st Super service in April 1965 .  A cheaper version, less foil which was expensive , smoother line to the cheatline, no Gold edging . Trouble with colour "titles" is it confuses , look at heraldry's colour titles or a car companies idea of burnt orange ,silly "Sunburst" across several makes and Dulux "Spice" … ? Just for ordering .. gimme some spice ! . Don't suppose light ,medium and deep Yellow would work either ! I'm sure like you said Gold meant Yellow in this case .

Basically the thin pin-stripe on the '50s BOAC Comets, Britannias etc was as near dammit 'Golden Yellow' Humbrol 69 and I don't think anyone will argue if you use that. 

• Thanks 1