UK F-35's make combat debut

Slater

They're growing on me as time goes by.... An overwatch mission sounds like "we're there if you need us", so I'm guessing they didn't leave any gifts for IS?  Do we know at this stage?

37 minutes ago, Slater said:

I think the old English Electric/BAC Lightning was used to a limited extent in combat by the Saudi's (in Yemen in the (1960's?), but I stand to be corrected on that.

Edited UK to RAF. Did the original Lighting (Lockheed type) see combat with the RAF?

13 minutes ago, GMK said:

Edited UK to RAF. Did the original Lighting (Lockheed type) see combat with the RAF?

54 minutes ago, GMK said:

Is that the first RAF fighter named ‘Lightning’ to participate in combat? 

While most of my books are away at present in storage pending the house build I still have my P-38 references for a hopeful P-38 build (aye maybe).  Jerry Scutts Crowood publication has it that the French order which the RAF were looking to take over was cancelled for several reasons the aircraft going instead to the USAAF for training.   However 3 aircraft were acquired as examples for Britain though never saw active service.  They were used at the RAE and A&AEE for trials and one went to the USAAF on 2 December 1942 in Britain.

So no "active" service then.

• Thanks 1

A very small number of "droop snoot" P-38s were used by 5th Group of Bomber Command to mark targets in Germany. For very small number I mean a couple, with one only being used for one or two missions before being returned to the USAAF. The other P-38 (a J) seems to have been used quite extensively. The subject was discussed here a while ago and I remember an article in an issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling from a couple years ago.

Regarding the jet Lightning, this was indeed used by the RSAF in action during clashes with Yemeni backed forces in 1969.

I bet that the "new" Lightning will see much more action with the RAF than both its predecessors...

19 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

A very small number of "droop snoot" P-38s were used by 5th Group of Bomber Command to mark targets in Germany. For very small number I mean a couple, with one only being used for one or two missions before being returned to the USAAF. The other P-38 (a J) seems to have been used quite extensively. The subject was discussed here a while ago and I remember an article in an issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling from a couple years ago.

Regarding the jet Lightning, this was indeed used by the RSAF in action during clashes with Yemeni backed forces in 1969.

I bet that the "new" Lightning will see much more action with the RAF than both its predecessors...

Hmm I fear you are correct Giorgio....although I'd much rather they fly about playing with the Big Liz and PoW then go alongside at some random port for a hoofin run ashore like we used to prior to 1991 (standfast Ulster).