Anigrand's oddities...

Thank you all for the likes and positive comments!

On 9/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, modelman182 said:

Great job done so far - have you decided on a 'workable' solution for the exhaust problem?

Kev

Yes! It was workable and it worked too IMHO. Please refer to this post by Space Ranger to understand what I did,

I traced the shape of the rear fuselage bulkhead on thin plasticard so as to have two rough shapes of the exhaust base matching with the fuselage cross section (note that they differ a lot left from right in my kit...).

Then I wrapped around them a thin band of plasticard, comprising the angular shape where the reversers eyelids would pivot, and obtained the external casing you can see below in the lighter metal shade. This would be the tapered fairing mentioned by SR in retracted position (at least how I envisaged it, since there is no mock-up image of this configuration).

P_20190905_221830

The eyelids themselves (clamshell doors) where fashioned crash-moulding more thin plasticard on the ogival cap you see on the right. I don't know what it is but I often keep these parts for future use instead of throwing them straight in the bin ;)

I cut the resulting "domes" obtaining four sphere quarters which I detailed with microstrip to simulate the corrugations seen in the mock-up. These were further reduced in area through trial and error so that they just peeped out from the fairings.

P_20190905_190255

Finally the exhausts were superglued to their respective fairings and the eyelids fixed in the gap with white glue.

This way a troubled shape transition from the fuselage to the circular exhausts was succesfully camouflaged as an added bonus!

P_20190905_221837

And here they are in place, not perfect but a lot better than I feared one month ago.

P1120301

Cheers for looking!

• Like 11

Wonderful engineering, Whirly! I like that A LOT! Much better than the original tapered sleeves - in fact, I may add that modification to mine even though it's going to be an 'in flight' model.

Kev

• Like 1

Final touches completed: canopies are in place as well as the IRST domes at the wing root. I somewhat squeezed the missile into its bay so it is also ok.

P1120302

I'd call it done, just some more time to take decent images and will be in RFI.

Finally I would like to say a big thank you to all those who took their time to comment, help or simply leave a Like, special thanks to Space Ranger for the invaluable inputs and to Kev for the help offered and encouragement: now it's your turn, can't wait to see your interpretation with an in-flight model!

• Like 7

Nicely done, Whirly.

Got mine out of the stash and I'll dig out the Valkyrie soon. Got a few things to finish for customers first, but will get to the Rapier as soon as I can. 🙂

spacer.png

Kev

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Whirly said:

Finally I would like to say a big thank you to all those who took their time to comment, help or simply leave a Like, special thanks to Space Ranger for the invaluable inputs and to Kev for the help offered and encouragement: now it's your turn, can't wait to see your interpretation with an in-flight model!

You're quite welcome; glad to be of assistance. I feel somewhat like a proud father! That is a spectacular model of (what would have been) a spectacular aircraft. I'll use your build as a reference when I get around to building mine, which won't be too long from now, I hope.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wlad said:

I found this build thread today and really enjoyed it. It was very informative and felt like a true team effort. Well done @Whirly on the build and great help @Space Ranger and others who contributed.

Cheers,

Wlad

This is one of the great things about Britmodeller. it is truly an international collaborative effort. There are other modeling forums that offer the same, and i belong to some of them and participate there as well, but the spirit here is much more friendly and cooperative.

• Like 2

Loved every step of your build. On a related note, I got to see the real Valkyrie in Dayton OH this weekend, standing over the X-15. Extraordinary machines -North American really knew how to turn out a good looking aeroplane.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2