Phantom 1/48 aftermarket queries

Filler

Hi, I've been looking through my stash for a Phantom to build, perhaps in the imminent STGB and I have a few Hasegawa options; F-4G, RF-4C, RF-4E and an F-4F. So for me that is two 80's USAFE types or two 80's Luftwaffe types. In the boxes I found a few aftermarket parts. Some seem pretty clear about where they can be used but a couple left me a bit unsure.

So first off, a set of Seamless Suckers intakes, SS-4. The instruction sheet lists all the options of the different Phantom intake sets so it says; "SS-4 F-4E-S - SS-6 F-4 B/N & C/D and SS-8 (UK) FGR.1/2"

So am I correct in thinking that the SS-4 set can be used on a F-4F or G and a RF-4C or 4E? I'm really expecting there to be a series of complicating exceptions.

Oooo, the original aftermarket intakes that paved the way for all of the others! Yes, you can use SS-4 with the E, F, G kits. The E, F, and G kits share the same fuselage parts so intakes made for one will fit the others. I think the J/S kits and the RF-4 kits can also use the same intake ducts. Current manufacturers sell separate intake sets for the Navy and Air Force F-4s because the engine compressor section parts are slightly different, so they include appropriate parts for each type. The old F-4B and F-4C/D kits have different fuselage shapes so intakes intended for the F-4 kits with scribed panel lines can’t be used on these.

Ben

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies. I apologise for a late response as I've been away for a bit.

Are the Seamless Suckers intakes not as good as other more recent manufacturers versions? I recall reading that there are some strange plates on the SS versions that are too pronounced.

The first ones Bob produced, with just the duct, were hard to install because you had to blend them with the kit inlet parts. His later ones, that were the inlet and duct combined, like what other companies now produce, were basically drop-in parts. They’re just as good as the ones currently available from other companies. Same for the intakes he made for the Tamiya 1/32 F-4s. I don’t recall any plates on the intakes, but if there are and you don’t like them, they can be easily sanded off.

Ben

• Thanks 1

I see. Thanks Ben. The intakes do look good and I can't now find whatever on line reference I thought I'd seen that referred to a couple of plates it thought were over pronounced. And as you say, even if they are it's a simple fix anyway.

As Ben Brown mentioned Robert's intakes were just the trunking, it was left to the modeler to blend them in. As a side note, if you ever come across a set of the 1/32 scale intakes I did the drawings that were used on the instructions. They are simple line drawings, however they were an improvement over the originals.

Oh right, I guess mine are a later set then as they include the inlets and trunking and the fan faces. I have just been having a look round and I can't seem to find anywhere UK based where you can actually buy a set of 1/48 scale F-4 intakes of any flavour. Are they another of those things that sold out quick and can now only be found on eBay? And that makes me wonder why at least one AM producer doesn't do a regular run of F-4 intakes as they seem to be in pretty constant demand. Exhaust pipes and cockpits on the other hand seem to be plentiful.

The ones you have are the much improved second generation.

You can get some very nice intakes for Hasegawa and Academy F-4s from DMold and XXM (both in Russia, IIRC). I've used both and highly recommend them. Rhino occasionally sells some on the US eBay. I loved his F/A-18C intakes, but I found the F-4 intakes were  ~1 mm too short in height, leaving a small step between the aft end of the intake and the forward edge of the lower wing part. He told me I was the first person to have that problem, so it could very well have been something I did. GT Resin has some for Hasegawa, Academy, and Z-M. All of these sets cost around $25 US. Hannants is the only UK-based shop I can think of who might carry GT Resin. I don't think DMold or XMM sell to retailers, but they're very good about shipping overseas. 

Cheers!

Ben

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ben. I'll check out their sites as I have a couple more Phantoms in the stash and there's no doubt that full intakes and trunks are a more than worthwhile investment. Intake covers are fine, but I prefer open intakes.