4:1 Scale Typhoon

Ossington 2

Nice idea but has the Daily Fail got it's facts right? 4 times the size of the real thing, it certainly doesn't look it in the photos. I suppose a Google for the Tiffie dimensions would have been too difficult for a journalist?

Duncan B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I suppose a Google for the Tiffie dimensions would have been too difficult for a Journalist?

Since when do they employ journalists ?

Opens up a whole new opportunity for aftermarket Enterprises...

• Like 1

The article said that it took up 4 times the area of the original - 2x the linear scale.

Wouldn't have thought that understanding scale was something that was taught at journalism school - Along with journalism it seems these days 🙂

• Like 4

The model Hawker Typhoon has a wingspan of 19 metres (62ft), is 14 metres (45ft) long and 7 metres (22ft) high, with a surface area four times the size of the original aircraft.

The article is essentially correct in what it claims. Simplistically 2 x 2 =4 but if it was 4:1 scale it would be  more or less 16 times the surface area.

Think of it that you would need four real size Typhoon kits to cover the area taken up by this 2:1 scale model.

I reckon the spinner was a Lightning spare part from the QinetiQ dumpster!

• Like 1

Call me a philistine but what’s the point of making it so large?

Why not not make a more convincing 1 to 1 scale model? Or use the same amount of time and effort to make several  1 to 1 models.

I guess it’s ‘each to their own’ but I don’t get it.

• Like 4

Good point @Bandsaw Steve.  I don't recall reading about anyone complaining in WW2 about the Typhoon being too small and unimpressive!

They did complain about the engine not working and the tail falling off, but this giant caricature doesn't need the first and has plenty of propping to prevent the second!

Cheers

Will

• Haha 2

The ocean grey doesn't have quite the right bluish tint, does it?

And the panel lines are a bit 'trench like for this scale.

I'll get me coat.

Regards

Martin

• Haha 1

It's great that they went to all that trouble when most people would not know what the Typhoon was or what it did, they should remember it after seeing that !

• Like 1

On 27/06/2019 at 21:35, spitfire said:

It's great that they went to all that trouble when most people would not know what the Typhoon was or what it did, they should remember it after seeing that !

Now folks will go just go home saying ‘Gee, I never realised that Spitfires were so BIG!’ 🙄

• Haha 3