1/35 Figures

Bryan71

Decided to have a go at figures kept putting off.So after some 1/35 Afrika Korp.

So my question is what are the best ones to buy.Tamiya or Dragon.In terms of quality and detail.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bryan71 said:

What size brushes does everyone recommend 

I’m no expert but this is what an acclaimed fantasy figure painter told me - good quality, sizes 1 and 2 and occasionally a 3.  He recommended W&N No7 and the standard watercolour rather than the miniature range.  And these were his reasons

Good quality - because you want a brush that holds its shape

Size 1 or 2 - a point is a point - a 0 or 00 or 000 does not have any finer point than a 1.  What is more important is for the brush to hold a well of paint which keeps the tip wet and allows a good flow of paint without having to keep reloading

Standard rather than miniature - again this is about the well.  The miniature range has shorter bristles and therefore, a small well.  Ideally you want a good well without getting paint near the ferrule.

Cheers,

Nigel  

• Like 5

The W&N No 7 are at least as good as the Artis Opus if not better and can be found at cheaper prices.

https://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-winsor-&-newton-series-7-brush-set-(4).htm

And if you are not in a hurry, they often have good sales.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

On 6/26/2019 at 8:34 PM, rockpopandchips said:

. I picked up 2 1/35 figures from AliExpress that are excellent and cheep if you wanted something to practice on. 

That's because the figures on AliExpress are recast copies of genuine figures, sold by thieving scumbags who if allowed to continue will result in many genuine figure companies closing.

• Like 2

On 26/06/2019 at 18:02, Bryan71 said:

Thanks guys my nest question is what primer to use.I spray my models with Mr Surfacer 1500.

I undercoat all my figures in matt black enamel

Thanks watch quite a few utube videos and they all appear to use Vallejo primer don’t want to use that stuff had loads of problems before.Moved onto Mr Surfacer 1500 for my 1/35 tanks

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:38 AM, Bryan71 said:

… Vallejo primer .. don’t ...

not sure how a company that makes such other good products can come out with the primer like that!