USAF F-4D Phantom II Kadena AFB Decals Question

LDSModeller

Hi All,

Quick question for our BM Experts.

Circa 1984 for a TRIAD exercise (when New Zealand was still in ANZUS........) a couple of

USAF F-4D's were photographed over the Southern Alps, per the photo link - as you can

see they had been "Zapped" with a Kiwi

Zapped USAF F-4D's

With the F-4 Phantom GB looming this weekend, I was hoping to join up

with one of these who were from the 12 TFS, Kadena AFB, Japan.

Question is, does anyone make these markings in 1/48 (I've tried Uncle Google......)

Thanks for any/all assistance

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Hasegawa P6 1/48 F-4C/D Phantom Family (Mig Killers in 1/72) has the old white ZZ tail code for a 44th TFS F-4D. You just need to source a 12th TFS badge. The closer aircraft in your photo doesn't have the fuselage unit badge. The farther one does. 18th TFW badge on the left side, squadron badge on the right.

Sorry, but this might not be the easiest decal sheet to find. If you'd consider doing it in 1/72, I can spare the 18th TFW decals. 

Grant

16 hours ago, Gmat said:

Look for the Academy 1/48th F-15C/D kit  #1685. It has the 12th TFS unit badge in color. 

16 hours ago, Gmat said:

Hasegawa P6 1/48 F-4C/D Phantom Family (Mig Killers in 1/72) has the old white ZZ tail code for a 44th TFS F-4D. You just need to source a 12th TFS badge. The closer aircraft in your photo doesn't have the fuselage unit badge. The farther one does. 18th TFW badge on the left side, squadron badge on the right.

Sorry, but this might not be the easiest decal sheet to find. If you'd consider doing it in 1/72, I can spare the 18th TFW decals. 

Grant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your help :D

I'll have a look around and see what I can find

The kit is the Monogram F4 Phantom II with the Olds - Ritchie, Vietnam markings

Regards

Alan

16 hours ago, Gmat said:

Grant

Hi there

Well I can also offer those decals in 1/72 scale to one interested maybe  I'm a bit closer in Central America

Best modelling 

Armando

On 6/24/2019 at 11:16 PM, LDSModeller said:

Circa 1984 for a TRIAD exercise.....

May not be relevant for your build or decal search, but I suspect this would have to be circa 1974 - the 18th TFW operated Phantoms from 1971-1979 before converting to F-15Cs.

As far as the kiwi zaps, I have a Roodecal sheet that is similar to the one pictured above but definitely a different sheet. It doesn't include the generic stencils (numerals, rescue arrows, or ejection triangles) and features several markings not shown above - most notably cheatlines (I believe for hi-viz C-130s) and a 'standing' version of the kangaroos.

The sheet title is "R.A.A.F./R.N.Z.A.F. Post War Insignia 1/72 Scale" and in addition to the Roodecal logo indicates it was printed by MAL Studios.

spacer.png

Not sure what size would be best for your zap as I don't build 1/48, but FYI the actual kiwi sizes (diameter/long dimension diagonally from tip of beak to back) are roughly as follows:

5/8"

7/16"

5/16"

1/4"

3/32"

14 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Well I can also offer those decals in 1/72 scale to one interested maybe  I'm a bit closer in Central America

Best modelling 

Armando

Hi Amando,

Thank you for the offer :), but I'm after 1/48scale decals

Thanks/Regards

Alan

10 hours ago, Gmat said:

I don't usually do 1/48, but will keep an eye out for the kit and decals.

If I do find it, I'll just send the decals. 

Grant

Thank's Grant - very much appreciate your help :D

6 hours ago, CT7567 said:

May not be relevant for your build or decal search, but I suspect this would have to be circa 1974 - the 18th TFW operated Phantoms from 1971-1979 before converting to F-15Cs.

As far as the kiwi zaps, I have a Roodecal sheet that is similar to the one pictured above but definitely a different sheet. It doesn't include the generic stencils (numerals, rescue arrows, or ejection triangles) and features several markings not shown above - most notably cheatlines (I believe for hi-viz C-130s) and a 'standing' version of the kangaroos.

Ok, thanks fore the info on the date times - This photo was posted on RNZAF Proboards earlier this year, and

I quite liked the idea of the 'Zapped" F4 - the date (1984) comes from a comment on the facebook page - obviously

wrong on the date account^_^

The actual Kiwi's are not an issue, to source, I have some in my decal stash, or I can obtain readily enough,

being in the land of Kiwi's :) - Thank you for your help none the less

Regards

Alan

LDSModeler visited Leonardos in Akihabara yesterday. That store had the best chance of having that old kit. No joy. Looked to see if Micro/Superscale did the 18thTFW or 12th TFS in the unit sheets with insignias replicated in various dimensions, (the largest 24" ones might do for 1/48) but none of the ones that I had had either crests. In Japan, the 18th TFW is pretty popular so that kit might occasionally show up as a repop with little fanfare. Your best bet might be to find the Academy F-15 sheet as noted above for the wing/squadron and PACAF insignias. 

Will look around but it might take a while.

Grant

7 hours ago, Gmat said:

LDSModeler visited Leonardos in Akihabara yesterday. That store had the best chance of having that old kit. No joy. Looked to see if Micro/Superscale did the 18thTFW or 12th TFS in the unit sheets with insignias replicated in various dimensions, (the largest 24" ones might do for 1/48) but none of the ones that I had had either crests. In Japan, the 18th TFW is pretty popular so that kit might occasionally show up as a repop with little fanfare. Your best bet might be to find the Academy F-15 sheet as noted above for the wing/squadron and PACAF insignias. 

Will look around but it might take a while.

Grant

Very Much appreciate your help here :D

I'll definitely keep an eye for the Academy sheet.

Thanks/regards

Alan