1/72 ESCI CF5A

Despite the fact that a former CF104 driver once told me the best use of an F5 was to saw the wings off, paint it yellow and use it to start real airplanes, I have always had a soft spot for the F5. Finished this a few months ago, but haven't had time to post until now. OOB pretty much with a few additions in the cockpit. Belcher Bits decals. This is a little jewel of a kit. Now if I can only finish it's two seater brother.......

DSC_0034

DSC_0056

DSC_0053

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 26

3 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Very nice indeed! Where did you find the canopy opening mechanism? I've heard that the Hasegawa F-20 or X-29 might contain suitable parts.

Rob

They are in the kit. Be warned though, there is no structure in the canopy to attatch it to. You are left with very little gluing surface. You will have to fabricate something. The X29 does have those bits, but they are pretty simple to make. 

Thanks Tony, It appears according to my references, early in their careers they were grey, at some point, during overhaul probably,  switched to black. I will have to see if I can find a pic of the airframe I used with those markings. I did find one of 462 before the slime lights were added as is mine and only the top arms are black, the rest of ithe mechanism is definitely grey at that point. So far, the one photo of 712 I can find is with the canopy closed, whatever is visible is grey. In any case the canopy and seat aren’t actually glued in, so I can fix it. Staring at the photo’s I can see some other details I missed. Now look what you started!

edit: I just found two photo’s of 717. Early, roundel on intake, the mechanism is grey, later, roundel on fuselage, pre slime lights, black. This would mean that if the roundels are on the fuselage it should be black, except for the photo of 712, roundels on fuselage with grey visible! Now what!?

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 1

Excellent looking CF-5A there Robin. I also really like these little aircraft. There are many anecdotes about the size of the aircraft and the one I heard was about the Norwegian pilots stating that the mosquitoes in Norway were so large, they needed intake guards to keep the F-5's out ..... !

Looking forward to seeing your two seater soon. I have several 1/72 Esci F-5's in the stash and am close to finishing an Airfix F-5E in Iranian colours. I agree the Esci kits are real jewel's if you can get hold of them.

The WIP for my Airfix one is here if you are interested:

Thanks

Terry

nice Little Jet! The F-5A was the first kit I ever built back in the early 70s. I liked the sleek appearance and it was the time Airfix kits were available everywhere and affordable with the pocket Money.

So nice to see this one!

On 6/25/2019 at 11:48 PM, Robin-42 said:

They are in the kit. Be warned though, there is no structure in the canopy to attatch it to. You are left with very little gluing surface. You will have to fabricate something. The X29 does have those bits, but they are pretty simple to make. 

Thanks, you are correct! I checked my unbuilt kit, and they are there - never noticed them before. One part is almost split in two by a badly adjusted small-diameter ejecter pin, that goes all the way through the part. Never seen that before! But that can be repaired.

Rob

• Like 1