Which F-16 in 1/48

rkp111

Greetings, I have been building mostly WW-2 and WW-1 planes for the last forty years or so. I'm thinking of trying my first jet fighter  the F-16 looks like a good starter.

I am not sure which brand would be the best as far as fit, details and out of the box with maybe some photo etch  cockpit from Eduard. Cost is not a factor in the quest for the kit.

I have been looking at Kinetic, Tamiya Sukei-mura and AFV Club, I am pretty familiar with Tamiya the others not so sure.

I would very much appreciate in input on the subject.

Cheers, Robert

Can't really beat the Tamiya line of F-16 kits. However, like any other aircraft modelling subject, everything depends on what unit, timeframe, country, etc. that you are looking to depict to really find the right one. Still probably going to be a Tamiya though.

10 hours ago, whiskey said:

Can't really beat the Tamiya line of F-16 kits. However, like any other aircraft modelling subject, everything depends on what unit, timeframe, country, etc. that you are looking to depict to really find the right werone. Still probably going to be a Tamiya though.

Thanks,, I kind of figured that, just wasn't sure if one of the other ones mentioned were  better.

As Whiskey alluded, if you have any strong preference on variant or nationality that may dictate your kit options.  1/48 isn't my scale of choice, but by reputation the modern Tamiya kit is the gold standard - but it's only offered in various flavors of "C" model. There's a multitude of operators for that sub-family, but there are some major users - most notably the four original NATO customers - that have only flown the "A" model or upgraded versions of same.

The best reference site for all your F-16 needs is F-16.net. You can browse by operating air arm to see the color schemes and confirm which variant(s) were used:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users.html

3 hours ago, CT7567 said:

As Whiskey alluded, if you have any strong preference on variant or nationality that may dictate your kit options.  1/48 isn't my scale of choice, but by reputation the modern Tamiya kit is the gold standard - but it's only offered in various flavors of "C" model. There's a multitude of operators for that sub-family, but there are some major users - most notably the four original NATO customers - that have only flown the "A" model or upgraded versions of same.

The best reference site for all your F-16 needs is F-16.net. You can browse by operating air arm to see the color schemes and confirm which variant(s) were used:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users.html

Thanks I will definitely be checking that out