Double the fun. JB builds two Phantoms.

Jb65rams

My plan for this GB is to build 2 Phantoms, as the plan is build them alongside each other, I propose to document the build in a single WIP. (Hope this OK)

My inspiration for these builds is the Aviation Workshop Publication 'HMS Ark Royal (Fifty Years of Flight 1955-2005).

spacer.png

The two kits I am using for this are Airfix's 1/72 Phantom FG.1 and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4B/N.

spacer.png

The Aifix Phantom will be completed wearing the colours of 892 Squadron. The Hasegawa will be completed at an aircraft of VMFA-531 Sporting 892 Omega emblem. Profile below. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

The Hasegawa will be completed at an aircraft of VMFA-531 Sporting 892 Omega emblem. Profile below. 

Ive been wanting to do that one as well to pose next to my FG.1. I've got a few photos in my files of it that you may or may not have ? Do you mind if i follow ? 

• Like 1

Great choices JB,I love these Zapped schemes I believe an RN Phantom received the same treatment during cross decking exercises,I know an RAF

Harrier was painted entirely "Pink" a few years ago.

I like the Marines tail with the Omega markings.  Was this done when cross-decking on HMS Ark Royal, at the back of my ming I think it was due into Malta at a time when relations between that country and the USA were strained and the tailfin was painted so that it looked like a RN bird.

Mike

10 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

In that case, there were two pink Harriers!  :lol: 

Hello Enzo,

You did hear from another Pink Harrier ??

CC

Too summarize, we have two pink Harriers!

On 02/07/2019 at 18:55, FortyEighter said:

I like the Marines tail with the Omega markings.  Was this done when cross-decking on HMS Ark Royal, at the back of my ming I think it was due into Malta at a time when relations between that country and the USA were strained and the tailfin was painted so that it looked like a RN bird.

Mike

Mike, that's my understanding as well.

As a slight diversion, I have made a start on the first of my two phantoms, the Hasegawa F-4.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I made a start by constructing the seats to compare them with the resin replacements - from left to right Airfix - Resin - Hasegawa

spacer.png

Cockpit completed using Eduard etch.

spacer.png

• Like 6

The cockpit looks great, I am using an Eduard set on the Harrier I am working on at the mo, yours looks stunning.

Just a question on Phantom variants, your kit is a B/N, the decals you are using according to the profile are for an 'S'. I there much difference between the B/N and S? Or are you not going to worry about technicalities?

I have some F-4s in the stash, the Naval versions are all B/Ns.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2019 at 04:14, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The cockpit looks great, I am using an Eduard set on the Harrier I am working on at the mo, yours looks stunning.

Just a question on Phantom variants, your kit is a B/N, the decals you are using according to the profile are for an 'S'. I there much difference between the B/N and S? Or are you not going to worry about technicalities?

I have some F-4s in the stash, the Naval versions are all B/Ns.

The aircraft I am modelling is as far as I know a B, have seen photos/profiles caption as both B or N. T do this I will be using decals from a number of sources to pull together the scheme, will also have to have a go at printing my own for some parts.

Fuselage assembled. Also started the surgery on the wings fit the CMK wingfold. Need to remove approx 1mm from each end to allow the resin hinges to be added.

spacer.png

Also made a start on the airfix version, Eduard etch used for the cockpit and Aerocraft Models replacement intakes. Got a bit carried away and forgot to take progress photos. The replacement intakes fitted well, just need to work slowly & methodically, test fitting as you go.

spacer.png

spacer.png

There will be no progress now for at least three weeks, I have family coming to stay and the modelling room now needs to return to being the spare bedroom.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

The aircraft I am modelling is as far as I know a B, have seen photos/profiles caption as both B or N.

According to this site it is a very early F-4H1 (F-4B) that was converted to an "N" post 1973. Great work on this BTW. I will definitely keep an eye on it. 👍🏻

http://forgottenjets.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/F-4.html

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Corsairfoxfouruncle thanks for the info.

Family has been and gone, a great time was had. The spare room has once again been converted into my modelling room.

I ready to resume with these builds. 

spacer.png

Made slow and steady progress.

The Airfix phantom, needed a bit of filler, think I made a slight mistake using the resin intakes and something didn't quite line up on one side.

spacer.png

Resin wingfold hinge installed onto the Hasegawa

spacer.png

Aim to to get to a position I can put some primer on by the end of the week.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 7/28/2019 at 7:29 AM, Jb65rams said:

The aircraft I am modelling is as far as I know a B, have seen photos/profiles caption as both B or N. T do this I will be using decals from a number of sources to pull together the scheme, will also have to have a go at printing my own for some parts.

The photo below makes the "B" identification definitive. The upgrade from B to N added ALQ-126 ECM fairings at the forward "shoulders" of the intakes, which are clearly not present on 151477 with the Omega tail zap:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gerrit_kok_collection/36928926211

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/09/2019 at 17:10, exdraken said:

Looking good, but still plain grey! 

Any updates? We got an extra week!

Have applied some paint,  I just seem to be struggling to find time at the bench. I am on leave this week but seem to busier than if I was work.

Think I might need more than an extra week!

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Found I had some unexpected bench time, so made a start on the decaling.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking at the number of stencils provided by Airfix, it could take a while.

Also need to experiment with printing my own decals for the F-4B, to provide the numbers / ships name etc. Found a US Navy Stencil font on line so will try over the weekend.

• Like 4