Matchbox 1/72 Phantom

rafalbert

I will be in with this old girl, along with the Aeroclub improvement set and Modeldecal decals. I am probably going to improve the nose by taking a copy of a Fujimi kit and blending it in.

IMG_20190625_143407

Pics as promised. I have the a set of the Fujimi Alcock and Brown decals which I will never use so if anyone would like them, PM me. I think I will build the Fujimi kit alongside this one; I have realised that I do not have a built-up F-4 in my collection! Time to remedy that!

Edited by rafalbert
pic added
  • Like 7

I added a resin copy of the Fujimi nose, kindly supplied by @rs2man. I shimmed the top seam by about 1mm, and bent the front lower corners of the fuselage downward to splay them slightly and increase the slope down to the rear of the radome. Then I glued in the radome and filled the remaining gap underneath with more card shims, and sanded the whole thing to blend it all in. You want to try to avoid reducing the resin radome to fit the fuselage, because it's the right size. However, this will all mess up the fit of the Matchbox canopy, which will now be too narrow. But since it's a bit rubbish anyway, you'll probably want to replace that, too. Does the Aeroclub set include a new canopy? If not, and you're happy with vacform canopies, I can let you have a closed up replacement, but if you're showing off the seats etc, then you might need to source the parts elsewhere...

It's worth the effort though... it completely transforms the look of the old girl:

phantom-very-low-front-left-M.jpg

phantom-very-low-front-right-M.jpg

best,

M.

• Like 6

It does Steve. I made one some many years ago with Airfix nose cone, Fujimi canopy and some other bits plus Aeroclub parts for the jet pipes and so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I added a resin copy of the Fujimi nose, kindly supplied by @rs2man. I shimmed the top seam by about 1mm, and bent the front lower corners of the fuselage downward to splay them slightly and increase the slope down to the rear of the radome. Then I glued in the radome and filled the remaining gap underneath with more card shims, and sanded the whole thing to blend it all in. You want to try to avoid reducing the resin radome to fit the fuselage, because it's the right size. However, this will all mess up the fit of the Matchbox canopy, which will now be too narrow. But since it's a bit rubbish anyway, you'll probably want to replace that, too. Does the Aeroclub set include a new canopy? If not, and you're happy with vacform canopies, I can let you have a closed up replacement, but if you're showing off the seats etc, then you might need to source the parts elsewhere...

It's worth the effort though... it completely transforms the look of the old girl:

phantom-very-low-front-left-M.jpg

phantom-very-low-front-right-M.jpg

best,

M.

In actual fact Matt , it was a resin copy of the Esci radome . 

rafalbert , if you want a copy of the Esci radome , PM me your address & I'll put you one in the post .

• Like 3

Doh... yes, the one above also has the Fujimi canopy, courtesy of rs2man as well... which is why I have a spare vacform one. I would say the Fujimi canopy "can be made to fit", rather than "fits" 😜. You have to carve out the lower canopy frame rails, which Matchbox moulded on the fuselage rather than the clear part, and then blend the Fujimi sills and central "bridge" into what remains.

best,

M.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Matchbox kit, the cockpit is beyond spartan. Luckily, the seats in the Aeroclub improvement set are rather detailed and add weight to the nose. Due to laziness I will not be adding the grab handles, but even without they look a lot better than the kit seats!

IMG_20190709_125739

• Like 3

I have assembled the fuselage and attached the far superior radome kindly supplied by John (rs2man). It has taken a bit of fettling to blend in but it definitely improves the shape of the old girl. I need to do some cleaning up now before I progress further.

IMG_20190715_204024

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...