Aries 1B - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Yes!  Lego and wiggly eyes (and anything else from the spares bin that looks right) . . .

Moving on to the engines.  The kit parts are good, but lack some details.  Using photographs of the recently discovered filming model that went to auction, various details were added from styrene, wire, Lego, wiggly eyes, and other bits.  While not 100% accurate to the filming model, these helped improve the kit parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

You must have been one or the two or three people to actually receive an Atomic City 'large' Aries kit. There was a whole waiting list of folk including me that spent hard spondulaks that never got their kit.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/atomiccity/scott-alexander-2018-t1078.html

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/atomiccity/2019-update-t1084.html

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Hi Tommo,

I got this kit from Atomic City Models (Scott Alexander) on Ebay in September 2018.  I was one of the last to actually receive a kit before deliveries ceased.  It was not easy getting this from Scott, many long delays and eventually I had to file a case with Ebay.  Eventually the kit was delivered, but it was a frustrating purchase experience.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, Jeddahbill said:

Hi Tommo,

I got this kit from Atomic City Models (Scott Alexander) on Ebay in September 2018.  I was one of the last to actually receive a kit before deliveries ceased.  It was not easy getting this from Scott, many long delays and eventually I had to file a case with Ebay.  Eventually the kit was delivered, but it was a frustrating purchase experience.

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill

Lighting the model involved two attempts.  LED bulbs used in the first attempt were too bright with a very narrow focus resulting in hot spots and an odd pinkish red glow in the flight deck.  Eventually abandoned  and replaced by 20 LED holiday light string configured to accept 9 volt battery with resistor.  This proved to be the ideal solution.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

The completed model, fully loaded, weighs approximately 5.5 kg or 12.1 lbs.  The landing gear leg assembly does support the model - well sort of . . . . .    I placed the completed model on its legs and carefully slide a large hardcover book under it so that it barely touched the bottom edge of the engine nozzle shrouds.  The book could be moved with just a very small amount of effort.  After 12 hours the model had settled fully onto the book so that it required far more effort to shift the book.  It settled even further with time to the point that it became difficult to move the book at all.  Clearly the landing gear leg assembly was gradually flexing under the weight of the completed model.  I believe the horizontal struts were slowly bending.   Not wanting to risk a potential collapse of the displayed model, I decided to construct a landing pad display base with four dowels positioned to fit into the centre nozzle of each engine cluster.  The weight of the model is then fully supported by vertical dowels in addition to the landing gear legs.  Once in position, the dowels are not obvious and somewhat hidden.    On to the images of how this was done . . . .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Thanks Thom!  This build has truly been a resin odyssey!

These will probably be the final work in progress images.  The model is complete sitting on the landing pad display base and is very secure with the support dowels.  Soon I will post more images of the completed model, including the passenger cabin.  I struggled with how far to go with weathering and finally decided on a more subtle look compared to the film and studio model.   More extensive weathering on this model, when viewed in person, just does not seem right to me.  

For now, here are a few images of the completed model . . . . 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Greetings!

Many thanks to everyone for having a look and commenting.  Images of the completed model now posted to the "Ready for Inspection" forum.  Questions and comments are always welcome.  Coming soon is the 44 inch Orion Pan Am Space Clipper . . . .

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I've just played catch-up and am awed by the construction work you put in to get a lovely looking (from a distance) kit to bear close scrutiny.  That takes perseverance :clap2: