Aries 1B - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Greetings!

At 1/32 scale, this is the largest kit of the Aries 1B currently available.   It measures about 15 inches across which I think is about half the size of the actual filming model.  Produced by Scott Alexander (CaptCBoard) of Atomic City Models this is a very large, heavy, and impressive kit.   While not included with the kit, extensive LED lighting adds tremendously to the final appearance and is not overly difficult or expensive to accomplish.
This build is about 95% complete and images of the finished model will be posted soon.  In the meantime,  the following shows how I went about the build.  Many thanks for looking, comments and questions are always welcome.

Starting with the flight deck . . . .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Jumping ahead in the build images with a few teasers . . . . .

Heavily modified flight attendant figures from the kit.  Widened uniforms at ankles and shortened the sleeves to more accurately reflect film images.   Added head gear with chin straps as seen in film - kit parts come with a tight fitting swim cap???  Pan Am decals added to better reflect film uniforms.....

spacer.png

Main hull with paint before any wash or weathering . . . . .

spacer.png

Additional figures modified from 1/32 scale train figures.   Space station attendant and pilot in transit. . . . .

spacer.png

Final teaser image - painted before any wash or weathering

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words!  I did use wiggly eyes for some details.  Once painted they make great raised dome structures and are inexpensive.  I got this kit from CaptCBoard (Scott Alexander) about a year ago on Ebay.  I believe I was one of the last to actually receive a kit before deliveries ceased.   I experienced some frustrating delays in delivery, but frequent communication with Scott seemed to work in the end.  Scott was responsive to my questions and replaced bad parts.  Current status of Atomic City Models and this kit are unknown.

Cheers,

Bill

Many thanks for having a look!   As of today, the build is about 99% finished.  This thing is very heavy and I am concerned about a structural failure in the leg assemblies, so I need to proceed very carefully at this point!   I will continue to post more of the old work in progress photos before showing completion images. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jeddahbill said:

[...]  I will continue to post more of the old work in progress photos before showing completion images. 

YES PLEASE!!! Still following and liking what you show here. Some tricks to learn as well.

There are 18 figures in total.  This includes 4 crew (2 pilots & 2 flight attendants), Dr. Heywood Floyd, 2 USAA employees, Pan Am pilot in transit, and 10 other passengers.

In the film there are only the 4 crew members and Dr. Floyd that travel to the moon in the Aries !B.  In addition the film briefly shows USAA employees and transiting pilots in the Space
Station V.

With these 18 figures, it is possible to depict several different scenarios ranging from the five seen in the film to a mix of 18 various persons all traveling to the moon.  I am not sure which figures I will use, most probably I will use different ones from time to time and perhaps settle on a final configuration.  Just not really sure at this point.

The kit comes with five resin figures - 2 pilots, 2 attendants, and Dr. Floyd.  The pilots do not come with lower legs and the uniforms are not correct for the flight attendants.

All of the other figures are from a set of 1/32 scale seated train passenger figures.  These figures were changed to come up with the remaining figures by transplanting heads, shifting arms, and modifying clothing.

Some images to better explain what is involved here.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Quite amazing. I've just done a catch up on this one. I love the detail and actually went Wow! when I saw the lights in action.

I will hang around in zero G until the next pics, if you don't mind.

Pete

Many thanks Pete!  More images coming and the build is now complete except for final hull weathering and clear flat coat to seal everything.  Once all of the WIP images are posted, I will post the completion photos.

Cheers,

Bill

Work on the various landing gear components.  Due to the finished weight of the model, it is important to pay particular attention to these parts so as to help avoid a potential collapse of the landing gear . . . .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3