1/48 Hasegawa F-4F JG71 'Richthofen'. Finished 28/08

DaveJL

54 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Your "underwingy thingys" look great - I love the finish on the centre fuel tank.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

More done today. One of the great things about Mr Paint is that they dry rock solid within minutes of going on, allowing the modeller to apply numerous coats and colours in several hours as opposed several long sessions with other paints. Outer wings and front fuselage are MRP-097 Dark Ghost Grey (FS36320), the centre section of the wings and fuselage are MRP-105 Modern Blue Grey (FS35237) and the centre section of the underside is MRP-038 Light Ghost Grey (FS36375). All applied in several light coats. Once cured, I sprayed random panel lines in a mixture of the lighter and darker greys as seen on many F-4Fs toward the end of their service:

38+46

38+46

Two images of the jet I'm doing. Onto the model:

48600862711_f4d369db97_b.jpg

48600997722_4419264b27_b.jpg

48600997357_b1acc86aa5_b.jpg

48600997042_1792324edd_b.jpg

Weathering should come alive once I add the panel line wash. Hope to get the gloss on tomorrow in preparation for decals. I'm using Alclad Aqua Gloss for the first time so hopefully the application goes well!

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

She looks great!!!!

Just one thing I didn't notice at the beginning, which should be to late now...the German Phantoms also received the belly strap. But on the other hand...nobody will see it if you don't tell then 😉

This is what I mean...

http://nautilusmodels.com/32-701.htm

Alex

Edited by coneheadff

On 7/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, helios16v said:

Known as the "hard wing".  It was a change for the C/D for the USAF to allow the use of wider, lower pressure tires that were favored at the time, rather than those required (and designed for) by the USN.  Sounds like the wing could be found on early F-4Es as well, but even most of those were modified back to the "thinner" wing later on.

https://www.usaf-sig.org/index.php/reference/114-research-material/136-f-4-phantom-guide-for-the-masses-jay-chladek

Wow :worry: - I think your research needs a little refinement since you seem confused! "Hard wing" has nothing to do with the tires, but rather  with the leading edge flaps (hard wing) versus leading edge slats which were introduced with late E models, and then retrofitted to most Es. 

Also, all the USAF models had the wing bulge for the wider tires except some early RF models and the  earliest C models (actually B models) that were borrowed from and returned to the Navy. No USAF thick wings  "were modified back to the "thinner" wing later on" as you stated. 

Gene K

12 hours ago, coneheadff said:

She looks great!!!!

Just one thing I didn't notice at the beginning, which should be to late now...the German Phantoms also received the belly strap. But on the other hand...nobody will see it if you don't tell then 😉

This is what I mean...

http://nautilusmodels.com/32-701.htm

Alex

Didn't know that at all Alex, didn't pop out at me as I was looking at reference pictures :lol:

• Haha 1

Gloss on. A few light coats of Alclad Aqua Gloss. Not as shiny as I would like but will suffice. 

48607446137_639e87d3c1_b.jpg

48607445817_8d69c60ecb_b.jpg

There's not too many decals to go on so hopefully will get that done over the weekend. Incidentally, does anyone know what intake intake artwork 38+46 had (if any) during 'Neptune Warrior' in 2007?

Dave

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

There's not too many decals to go on so hopefully will get that done over the weekend. Incidentally, does anyone know what intake intake artwork 38+46 had (if any) during 'Neptune Warrior' in 2007?

Dave

Let me take a look at AIRDOC's book about the German Phantom. Maybe there's a photo.

2 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Let me take a look at AIRDOC's book about the German Phantom. Maybe there's a photo.

Thanks Alex. I've 3 sets of markings - 38+46, 38+44 and 37+17 along with 3 cartoon style intake markings, but don't know which is which!

Cheers Alex. I was debating the colour of the radome after I went with the instructions. I think I might give it a light coat of Tamiya 'Buff' to darken its down. Easy job to mask up at least!

Dave

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Whenever you need anything about the F-4F send me a message...my favorite "German" aircraft :)

Thanks mate. If I’d known that at the start you’d have had a few pm’s :lol:. Belly straps etc would have been added no doubt!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks mate. If I’d known that at the start you’d have had a few pm’s :lol:. Belly straps etc would have been added no doubt!

Don't know how I missed it at the beginning, but as I said...nobody will notice it if you don't tell them ;)

9 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Don't know how I missed it at the beginning, but as I said...nobody will notice it if you don't tell them ;)

That’s what I’m going for :lol:

I might pick up a set for my Hellenic F-4 when I get around to it. Was completely unaware that the Phantom was given any reinforcement plates.

• Like 1

Decals on today. A mixture of the unknown markings, Aeromaster and Icarus stencils.

48618479891_9f266c7253_b.jpg

48618130123_0883eb348e_b.jpg

48618623677_a4536c9a02_b.jpg

48618623452_c8f2cb24ba_b.jpg

48618478846_6eeb2b404d_b.jpg

All sealed in with a top coat of gloss. Will leave to cure overnight and will hopefully get the panel line wash on tomorrow.

Dave

• Like 5