Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Wez

+++ Journey's End - VE to VJ Day Chat

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Wez said:

Perfectly acceptable and great choice of subject.

 

Anyone else out there suddenly finding a bit of time on their hands want to join this GB?

 

Thanks Wez

 

Ill stick it on the list which also includes Mustangs, 109’s, 190’s, Mosquitoes and Lancasters. 

 

Big decisions to make😅

 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Right I need ideas for what to build for this...

 

Don't think I can find any way to build a V Bomber for this one 😂

 

I'm not looking to build anything too big, I think a 1/48 Spitfire would be suitable as I only have one of those, currently stashed and lined up for building in the spitfire stgb. 

I also have a 1/72 Mustang in the stash that has a 1945 scheme, but I don't know if it was still in use between VE day and VJ day. That's got decals for a British Mustang, G-AS (44 11602), another Mustang today wears the scheme but it is not the original.

I'd like to do a mossie, I've not done one yet and I've heard the Tamiya 1/72 isn't bad at all, some of those would have been in use in the right time period.

Edited by Adam Poultney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I also have a 1/72 Mustang in the stash that has a 1945 scheme, but I don't know if it was still in use between VE day and VJ day. That's got decals for a British Mustang, G-AS (44 11602),

112 Squadron served thru the end pf hostilities in Italy. 
 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._112_Squadron_RAF


http://raf-112-squadron.org/112_photos_page_6.html

 

Scroll down to the end of the both links, your plane is mentioned in the second link. The photo is dated June 5th 1945. The squadron were disbanded in 1946. 

 

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Right I need ideas for what to build for this...

 

Don't think I can find any way to build a V Bomber for this one 😂

 

I'm not looking to build anything too big, I think a 1/48 Spitfire would be suitable as I only have one of those, currently stashed and lined up for building in the spitfire stgb. 

I also have a 1/72 Mustang in the stash that has a 1945 scheme, but I don't know if it was still in use between VE day and VJ day. That's got decals for a British Mustang, G-AS (44 11602), another Mustang today wears the scheme but it is not the original.

I'd like to do a mossie, I've not done one yet and I've heard the Tamiya 1/72 isn't bad at all, some of those would have been in use in the right time period.

Adam, the Tamiya Mosquito is a lovely kit, builds up well.

 

Dennis has given you plenty of gen on 112 Sqn RAF.

 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

112 Squadron served thru the end pf hostilities in Italy. 
 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._112_Squadron_RAF


http://raf-112-squadron.org/112_photos_page_6.html

 

Scroll down to the end of the both links, your plane is mentioned in the second link. The photo is dated June 5th 1945. The squadron were disbanded in 1946. 

 

Dennis 

 

But honestly, if you're planning on building a Spitfire, Mosquito or Mustang you shouldn't have any trouble finding anything that fits the bill for this GB.

 

Anyone else up for this GB?  The eligibility criteria is:

 

If you can come up with something else that fits the bill it'd be welcome, as a reminder the rules are:

 

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

 

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

 

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day (e.g. between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45).

 

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day (e.g. 8/5/45 to 15/9/45).

 

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

 

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

 

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

 

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just over a month before this one kicks off so time to start thinking about what you're going to do for this GB.

 

I'll be doing a Spitfire LF.XVI of 340 (French) Sqn based at Drope in Germany in May of 1945.  I'll be using the Eduard 1/72 scale kit with Xtradecal sheet X72-182.

 

What about you guys, got anything fixed in mind yet?

 

Room for more to join, the GB is a shorter one than usual running between the anniversaries of VE and VJ day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prototype A41 Centurion taking part in Operation Sentry.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Prototype A41 Centurion taking part in Operation Sentry.  

Nice one!

 

Nice to see an AFV in the GB, I hope we get some more and some ships too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening Wez

 I have this kit https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sword-sw-72096-spitfire-mkxiv-c-e-bubbletop--99897   in my stash and I will try to build the aircraft of Gp. Cpt. J. E. Johnson) , I also have the Academy Tempest and I will try to build the aircraft flown by Pierre Clostermann

..https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12466-tempest-v--264668

 

All the best

Patrice

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Wez

 I have this kit https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sword-sw-72096-spitfire-mkxiv-c-e-bubbletop--99897   in my stash and I will try to build the aircraft of Gp. Cpt. J. E. Johnson) , I also have the Academy Tempest and I will try to build the aircraft flown by Pierre Clostermann

..https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12466-tempest-v--264668

 

All the best

Patrice

 

 

 

Good choices both Patrice.

 

What about the rest of you?

 

Does anybody else want to join this GB, there's plenty of room!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gidday Wez, I'm still keen, but I'm having a re-think as to what I'll build. I had originally planned to scratch-build the Sumner class destroyer USS Hugh W. Hadley in 1/600, but I have yet to try a hull. If I can't get the hull right to my satisfaction then there'll be little point in continuing further. Plus, the three month time span might be pushing it a bit for me.

     Plan 'B' will be converting a 1/700 IJN Yugumo class destroyer into IJN Yukikaze, one of the few Japanese warships to survive the war, and AFAIK she did so with hardly a scratch. Being operational I'd imagine she'd still be on the JN order of battle. (By the end of the war she'd be close to being THE order of battle for the Japanese Navy I would think).

     And I still want to do the Hadley some time.

I hope this is OK. Regards, Jeff.

     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Wez, I'm still keen, but I'm having a re-think as to what I'll build. I had originally planned to scratch-build the Sumner class destroyer USS Hugh W. Hadley in 1/600, but I have yet to try a hull. If I can't get the hull right to my satisfaction then there'll be little point in continuing further. Plus, the three month time span might be pushing it a bit for me.

     Plan 'B' will be converting a 1/700 IJN Yugumo class destroyer into IJN Yukikaze, one of the few Japanese warships to survive the war, and AFAIK she did so with hardly a scratch. Being operational I'd imagine she'd still be on the JN order of battle. (By the end of the war she'd be close to being THE order of battle for the Japanese Navy I would think).

     And I still want to do the Hadley some time.

I hope this is OK. Regards, Jeff.

     

Jeff,

 

Either sounds great to me, I've been dipping into the Drachinifel Guides on a regular basis, I find the  RN and the IJN subjects very compelling, I'm also finding the heroism of some of the US destroyers in particular, very compelling too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I received an Algerine class minesweeper, 1/700 scale from Starling Models.
I'll probably build her as a member of the 12th Minesweeping Flotilla which operated in the Mediteranean during war, continuing to clear mines until returning to the UK in April 1946.

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs
HMS MUTINE © IWM (A 15851)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robert Stuart said:

Today I received an Algerine class minesweeper, 1/700 scale from Starling Models.
I'll probably build her as a member of the 12th Minesweeping Flotilla which operated in the Mediteranean during war, continuing to clear mines until returning to the UK in April 1946.

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs
HMS MUTINE © IWM (A 15851)

Interesting choice, glad we've got ships and tanks as well as aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will join in here, I was going to start another kit but this has interested me and I can wait for a couple of weeks to start as I have others to finish. I will probably build a German jet, probably captured at wars end. Plenty of options between British AIR MIN evaluation and Project Lusty aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Brad said:

I will join in here, I was going to start another kit but this has interested me and I can wait for a couple of weeks to start as I have others to finish. I will probably build a German jet, probably captured at wars end. Plenty of options between British AIR MIN evaluation and Project Lusty aircraft.

Exactly!

 

It will be good seeing the vanquished in the victors colours.

 

Only a couple of weeks to go now folks, time to start choosing those subjects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to joing this please.

My start may be delayed due to ongoing builds; however I have a few ideas brewing, of which I would like to get one done for this GB once I have settled on my choice of subject. 

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

I would like to joing this please.

My start may be delayed due to ongoing builds; however I have a few ideas brewing, of which I would like to get one done for this GB once I have settled on my choice of subject. 

 

Alex

Alex, you'd be welcome whenever you joined.

 

Thanks for signing up.

 

Anyone else up for this GB?  The eligibility criteria is:

 

If you can come up with something else that fits the bill it'd be welcome, as a reminder the rules are:

 

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

 

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

 

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day (e.g. between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45).

 

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day (e.g. 8/5/45 to 15/9/45).

 

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

 

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

 

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

 

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can see, the GB forum is open for business.

 

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!  :thumbsup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two Revell Oldies.But  like all other kits from that era the decals offer only national markings.

No unit decals.

 

I can't proof exactly that these two were used during the GB time frame.

Can I enter one of them in the GB ?

 

ki61box.jpg

 

2423-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ki 61 should have Maj. Kobayashi's markings in it for the aircraft he flew around April/May 1945.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Erwin said:

I have two Revell Oldies.But  like all other kits from that era the decals offer only national markings.

No unit decals.

 

I can't proof exactly that these two were used during the GB time frame.

Can I enter one of them in the GB ?

 

Well Erwin...

 

On 28/04/2020 at 06:09, Wez said:

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day (e.g. 8/5/45 to 15/9/45).

 

...so if your Ki-61 is from May 1945 as @Brad suggests, you may be OK, BUT...

 

On 28/04/2020 at 06:09, Wez said:

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Erwin said:

I have two Revell Oldies.But  like all other kits from that era the decals offer only national markings.

No unit decals.

 

I can't proof exactly that these two were used during the GB time frame.

Can I enter one of them in the GB ?

It should be relatively easy to source eligible unit markings for the Ki-61 as that was essentially a late war aircraft.

 

The Ki-43 was mostly a mid-war aircraft however a number were still in use at the end of the war.  The Wikipedia page for this aircraft shows a really easy scheme to reproduce.  However the aircraft was shown on 12 April 1945, just outside the scope of the GB for Pacific subjects.  Given the nature of the operation this one was engaged in, I doubt it would have made it through to 8 May.

 

The Special Hobby 1/72 kit has markings for a Ki-43 III in August 1945.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/nakajima-ki-43-iii-ko-hayabusa-1-72.html?cur=1&force_sid=n368e6gl8q0tqb0nh567suf276&lang=1&redirected=1

 

The unit markings shouldn't be too difficult to mask and paint.  Even though it's a slightly later version than your kit, it should be a relatively simple conversion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Wez, I am thinking of a French reconnaissance F-6D Mustang.

Started a couple of years ago but definitely under those 20%:

spacer.png

Art Decals are ready and I have the Quickboost conversion somewhere as well.

spacer.png

 

Am I allowed to join the GB please?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcel said:

Am I allowed to join the GB please? 

Most certainly, welcome along.

 

Anyone else want to sign up, we start in 6 days time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening All.

Initially I thought I didn't have anything to hand that I could use to join in with... But after a rummage about have turn up two likely candidates.
 

2020-05-02_06-52-33



Although it doesn't mention it in the Academy instructions, Scalemates dates the Avenger as from April 1945 in the Battle of Okinawa (From the AM entry) 
So hoping that fits the bill if I understand correctly that vehicles from the month prior to May are allowed? 

With the Sherman I had already made a start. Does this meet the under 25% criteria? @Enzo Matrix @Wez
 

2020-05-02_06-53-37



Again with the Sherman, Tamiya have it dated as April 1945. Although as it has no markings other than the star guess it's fine. 

I've got a few of  Accurate Minutes reboxed kits and have been putting off build any of them as yet. But now seems like a good time! 

Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...