Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Wez

Journey's End - VE to VJ Day Chat

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, reini said:

So a He 219 Uhu dated May 1945 would be suitable for this GB? If so, count me in! :)

You're in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've got a 1:72 Hasegawa 'Betty' bomber with the Ohka. The four decal schemes that come with it are either March 1945 or April 1945. Am I right in thinking that I can enter this GB if I build the April ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

So I've got a 1:72 Hasegawa 'Betty' bomber with the Ohka. The four decal schemes that come with it are either March 1945 or April 1945. Am I right in thinking that I can enter this GB if I build the April ones?

Jason,

 

Much as I'd love to see the Betty and Ohka combination, the dates are just a little too early for the Pacific theatre.

 

The datelines are:

 

ETO: 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon Wez

I am planning to build one of the P-47 M flown by the 56Th Fighter pilots during the last months of the war do you think that it will qualify for this Gb ?

 

Patrice

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Wez

I am planning to build one of the P-47 M flown by the 56Th Fighter pilots during the last months of the war do you think that it will qualify for this Gb ?

 

Patrice

 

Patrice, providing you can prove it was being flown between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 then it would be very welcome.

 

Anyone else want to join this one?  It's happening and covers ETO: 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see that My Kawasaki Ki-61 falls in May of 45. 
 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60789-kawasaki-ki-61-id-hien-tony--1117318

 

The third option with green mottling is the one i was going to build. The overall green one from the Philippines is short by one month, being from April of 45. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good to see that My Kawasaki Ki-61 falls in May of 45. 
 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60789-kawasaki-ki-61-id-hien-tony--1117318

 

The third option with green mottling is the one i was going to build. The overall green one from the Philippines is short by one month, being from April of 45. 

Good news indeed!

 

If I can find the time, I plan to do an RCAF Spitfire XVI using the Eduard kit - in the Gentleman's scale of course.

 

For anyone wondering what this GB is about, it's basically to celebrate the end of the struggle, VE Day and VJ Day, the period covers the lead up to VE day and the immediate aftermath of VJ Day.

 

The rules are:

 

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

 

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

 

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day.

 

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

 

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

 

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

 

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

 

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

Edited by Wez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Wez i did find this photo and was wondering if it was an option ? It says Okinawa 45 but no date. We hit the beaches on April 1st and were there until June 22nd fighting. As this looks sedate in the scene i wonder if its post June 22nd ? q4Qh95X.jpg
If not I will go with the kit option dqcO1Ko.jpg

 

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As this looks sedate in the scene i wonder if its post June 22nd ?

I'd say so, they're all looking pretty relaxed, I'd say that's post end of operations and firmly in the time slot for the PTO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2020 at 16:39, Wez said:

Patrice, providing you can prove it was being flown between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 then it would be very welcome.

 

Anyone else want to join this one?  It's happening and covers ETO: 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45.

Good evening Wez

I think thta I will have to find another subject because I can't prove that the P47M that  I intended to build  was flown between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45...

All the best

Patrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Wez

I think thta I will have to find another subject because I can't prove that the P47M that  I intended to build  was flown between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45...

All the best

Patrice

Hello Patrice, I think you're ok in the P-47M. Ive checked a few websites and each seems to say that the “M’s” flew most of their missions in the last few weeks of the war. They were delivered in December and January, but they had Engine issues and were unreliable until April. Short of writing the USAF Museum and requesting copies of the daily mission reports and logs i don't know if you will get anything better than that. 
 

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p47_12.html


Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Patrice, I think you're ok in the P-47M. Ive checked a few websites and each seems to say that the “M’s” flew most of their missions in the last few weeks of the war. They were delivered in December and January, but they had Engine issues and were unreliable until April. Short of writing the USAF Museum and requesting copies of the daily mission reports and logs i don't know if you will get anything better than that. 
 

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p47_12.html


Dennis

Good mroning Dennis

 Thank you

All the best

Patrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Are aircraft planned for but not necessarily built at the time allowed? I'm thinking of a D.H. Mosquito B35 with H2S. These were planned as part of the Tiger Force Pathfinder Squadron. H2S had been tested at RAF Defford on a BXVI

Order of Battle, 26th July 1945 planned for 553 Wing to include 627 Squadron flying such aircraft (B35s). 'Standard' Tiger Force colours of White upper surfaces and glossy black undersides would be order of the day!

9YfRjO.jpg

B XVI with H2S fitted, courtesy of Imperial War Museum.

Edited by Worms
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 18/03/2020 at 13:34, Worms said:

Are aircraft planned for but not necessarily built at the time allowed? I'm thinking of a D.H. Mosquito B35 with H2S. These were planned as part of the Tiger Force Pathfinder Squadron. H2S had been tested at RAF Defford on a BXVI

Order of Battle, 26th July 1945 planned for 553 Wing to include 627 Squadron flying such aircraft (B35s). 'Standard' Tiger Force colours of White upper surfaces and glossy black undersides would be order of the day!

9YfRjO.jpg

B XVI with H2S fitted, courtesy of Imperial War Museum.

Worms,

 

As much as I'd like to say yes (purely as an exercise in making the Mosquito look ugly), I'm afraid it doesn't fit the criteria insofar as:

 

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

 

If you can come up with something else that fits the bill it'd be welcome, as a reminder the rules are:

 

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

 

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

 

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day (e.g. between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45).

 

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day (e.g. 8/5/45 to 15/9/45).

 

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

 

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

 

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

 

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

 

Plenty of room for others to join this GB.

Edited by Wez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Wez said:

Worms,

 

As much as I'd like to say yes (purely as an exercise in making the Mosquito look ugly), I'm afraid it doesn't fit the criteria insofar as:

 

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

 

If you can come up with something else that fits the bill it'd be welcome,

 

 

Ok Wez, I'll try and think of some other weird wonder!

I did find more info though, there were no B35s delivered to 627 sqn although apparently they were built but stored at 27 MU I believe.

More interesting info though, on a Lanc that was used to transport ex POWs back from Germany!

Listed here, fascinating reading! http://www.627squadron.co.uk/afs-bookpartIII-LincolnsorMossies.html

Edited by Worms
error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Worms said:

Ok Wez, I'll try and think of some other weird wonder!

I did find more info though, there were no B35s delivered to 627 sqn although apparently they were built but stored at 27 MU I believe.

More interesting info though, on a Lanc that was used to transport ex POWs back from Germany!

Listed here, fascinating reading! http://www.627squadron.co.uk/afs-bookpartIII-LincolnsorMossies.html

This sounds great providing...

On 19/03/2020 at 17:58, Wez said:

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

 

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

 

The timelines are...

On 13/03/2020 at 15:39, Wez said:

ETO: 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wez said:

This sounds great providing...

The timelines are...

 

Damn!

September 28th 1945!

I'll have to think of something else...it's quite a challenge to find something a bit different...that I have in the stash 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might have something, Mosquito B XVI, on the last bombing run of the war on the night of 2nd/3rd May...a bit of controversy here as well. 'Common' knowledge has it as 608 Sqn bombing Kiel with 4,000lb cookies whereas there is info for 105 and 109 mosquito sqns that went on to Eggeberg after marking Kiel to drop cookies there! Apparently the Eggeberg bombs were dropped (at 00:54) after the Kiel bombs by 20 minutes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Worms said:

Might have something, Mosquito B XVI, on the last bombing run of the war on the night of 2nd/3rd May...a bit of controversy here as well. 'Common' knowledge has it as 608 Sqn bombing Kiel with 4,000lb cookies whereas there is info for 105 and 109 mosquito sqns that went on to Eggeberg after marking Kiel to drop cookies there! Apparently the Eggeberg bombs were dropped (at 00:54) after the Kiel bombs by 20 minutes!

Sounds a suitable candidate to me Worms.

 

I just found that what I was planning to do is intelligible by my own rules, I'm going to have to find something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wez said:

Sounds a suitable candidate to me Worms.

 

I just found that what I was planning to do is intelligible by my own rules, I'm going to have to find something else.

It's a funny old world this modelling lark!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Wez

 

Just narrowing down my options for this one. Would a vmf 533 squadron Tigercat count? The unit went operational with the Tigercat on Okinawa the day before hostilities ended and then flew security patrols until 15th September but didn’t see any combat. 

 

No no worries if not, there’s plenty of other options in the stash, I was trying to think of something a bit different. 

 

Thanks 

 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, franky boy said:

Hi @Wez

 

Just narrowing down my options for this one. Would a vmf 533 squadron Tigercat count? The unit went operational with the Tigercat on Okinawa the day before hostilities ended and then flew security patrols until 15th September but didn’t see any combat. 

 

No no worries if not, there’s plenty of other options in the stash, I was trying to think of something a bit different. 

 

Thanks 

 

James

Perfectly acceptable and great choice of subject.

 

Anyone else out there suddenly finding a bit of time on their hands want to join this GB?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...