Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Wez

Journey's End - VE to VJ Day Chat

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Valenstitch said:

Never been in on a group build…………………………..but I`ll have a go!

 

Granto 

Well that's you all signed up Granto, hopefully you'll enjoy the experience, it is after all about having fun and in this case commemorating the brave combatants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, Valenstitch said:

Never been in on a group build…………………………..but I`ll have a go!

 

Granto 

Welcome to Group Builds!  Hope you enjoy your stay.  :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/06/2019 at 19:49, Valenstitch said:

Never been in on a group build…………………………..but I`ll have a go!

That's the spirit!

 

:welcome:  to groupbuilds.  You're gonna love 'em!  :D  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wez,

 

I'd be on for this. I could feel another Mustang or two coming on. It would be good to set some rules: anything in service on either date? Occupation forces?

 

Anyway, I'd be up for it whatever.

 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would a B-17 that was used to carry released POW:s from Germany to the UK after the VE-day be eligible for this? V-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Wez,

 

I'd be on for this. I could feel another Mustang or two coming on. It would be good to set some rules: anything in service on either date? Occupation forces?

 

Anyway, I'd be up for it whatever.

 

Alan

 

That's the spirit Alan, welcome along.

9 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Would a B-17 that was used to carry released POW:s from Germany to the UK after the VE-day be eligible for this? V-P

This would definitely be allowed but you'd need to provide evidence of its use in that role.  Are you interested?

 

I'm back from my jolly holibobs now so I can give some thought to the scope and rules which I would need to discuss with my co-host (or Enzo as he is often known).

Edited by Wez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the rules as agreed between me and the Guv'nor (Enzo), hopefully there's enough scope there for you to find something...

 

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

 

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

 

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day.

 

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

 

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

 

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

 

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

 

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules (e.g. vppelt68 would have to provide the evidence substantiating his proposed Fortress used for the repatriation of PoW's).

 

I'm going to update the first post in this thread with the rules and list of participants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules (e.g. vppelt68 would have to provide the evidence substantiating his proposed Fortress used for the repatriation of PoW's)." 

 

I´m not only interested, please count me in! I just watched this flick and there are several identifiable 91st BG Forts in there. I will go for a 381st BG one if and when I find sufficient evidence but until then, I will have one of those from Bassingbourn as my back-up plan. V-P

 

EDIT: @Wez is this good enough evidence? This link leads us to a German museum exhibition about Operation Revival and shows a 535th BS of the 381st BG B-17 MS*I (also marked as MS*S) "Crack-A-Dawn". We do know the museum historians can cut corners when choosing pictures and film material, unlike we modellers :winkgrin:, but I keep digging for more proof..

2015-04-10_Operation_Revival_1945

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

EDIT: @Wez is this good enough evidence? This link leads us to a German museum exhibition about Operation Revival and shows a 535th BS of the 381st BG B-17 MS*I (also marked as MS*S) "Crack-A-Dawn". We do know the museum historians can cut corners when choosing pictures and film material, unlike we modellers :winkgrin:, but I keep digging for more proof..

This is just the sort of evidence needed, I'm not expecting people to go rummaging through the national archives, just something that backs up their choice of subject.

 

I'll add your name to the list.

 

Any more takers?

Edited by Wez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday morning bump for this one!

 

Pick a subject that you can definitely pin on the period immediately before VE-Day through to the final defeat and immediate aftermath of VJ-Day and it's welcome (the rules are in post 1 and 32), victors and vanquished, on land sea and in the air!  Unlike a normal GB though, this one will only run from May the 8th (VE-Day) to August the 15th (VJ-Day), rather than the usual 4 months!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to give this one a bump!

 

This GB has already been given a slot so you may as well sign up and join in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wez said:

This GB has already been given a slot so you may as well sign up and join in!

He's right, yannow!  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2019 at 20:22, Wez said:

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

 

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

 

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day.

 

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

 

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

 

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

 

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

 

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules (e.g. vppelt68 would have to provide the evidence substantiating his proposed Fortress used for the repatriation of PoW's).

 

Time to bump this one!  The rules for the GB are shown above, sign up, it's going ahead anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in.  I Think with some sort of german jet like the Heinkel He-162 Salamander. If that is ok?!

 

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Arniec said:

I am in.  I Think with some sort of german jet like the Heinkel He-162 Salamander. If that is ok?!

 

Cheers,

Yes, I want to capture those last desparate days, your choice is very fitting

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weekend bump, bumpity, bump!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea which subject (I tend to loose interest if I contemplate about something too long in advance anyway), but sogning up I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

No idea which subject (I tend to loose interest if I contemplate about something too long in advance anyway), but sogning up I can do.

Welcome along, it's probably best not to get too hung up on the subject this far in advance.

 

Anyone else interested in signing up, the GB is going ahead anyway so you might as well!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im thinking of building two planes, one from each side. The Newer Tamiya Ki-61 in Home defense colors and a P-51 in long range escort colors for the B-29's. I have the decals for the Mustang just need a couple of kits. 

 

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im thinking of building two planes, one from each side. The Newer Tamiya Ki-61 in Home defense colors and a P-51 in long range escort colors for the B-29's. I have the decals for the Mustang just need a couple of kits. 

 

Dennis

Great choices Dennis and it would be great to have some adversaries in the GB.

 

Anyone else up for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to give this one a bump, it's in the calendar so you might as well sign up anyway!

 

Rules are here:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning on an A41 Centurion.  It will be one of the pre-series vehicles sent to Germany for field trials as part of Operation SENTRY shortly after the end of the war in Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time this one got a bump, it's going to be in the GB programme so resistance is futile.

 

Anyone else want to join?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wez,

 

I am all up for this but am struggling to understand the dates. Do the rules mean:

 

ETO: 8/4/45 to15/8/45

and

PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45

 

or is it:

 

ETO 8/4/45 to 8/5/45

and

PTO: 15/8/45 to 15/9/45

 

Or something other? Pardon the density.

 

Alan  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign me up! 

Coincidentally, 8th of May is my birthday and I for once get a bank holiday rather than missing the may one by as little as one day! 

Axis stuff acceptable for this GB? Late war Luftwaffe subjects are quite interesting, although I feel that I really should do something British.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...