Journey's End - VE to VJ Day Chat

Wez

1 hour ago, Vaastav said:

Hello all. The link to the WIP for my ISU 152 is Here.

Stay safe.

Vaastav, your thread needs to be in the group build forum not the armour forum to be considered part of the group build.

We can get it moved if you want?

Otherwise very pleased to see another AFV in the GB.

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Vaastav, your thread needs to be in the group build forum not the armour forum to be considered part of the group build.

We can get it moved if you want?

Otherwise very pleased to see another AFV in the GB.

OK @Wez please do move it to the appropriate forum.

6 hours ago, Vaastav said:

OK @Wez please do move it to the appropriate forum.

All done, I'm sure your fellow participants in this GB would want to see your thread where it is now.

So pleased to see five finished builds in the gallery already, hat's off to @DaveyGair @AaronKSJ @Creepy Pete @Colin W and @Brad

Thanks for your contribution.

If you signed up but haven't made a start, there's still time to do so (that includes me BTW).

If you haven't signed up, there's plenty of room inside, come and join us!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Looks like a Ki-84 will be arriving in the mail tomorrow. Need to find me some nice decals for it, but I should start building it soon.

I really like the Ki-84, my favourite of all Japanese WWII fighters so this will be very welcome.

I'm a little confused with the rules. Does this mean you can only build something from 1945 only and that was used around VE and VJ day. 

Does this mean the rest of the war is out of bounds 

10 hours ago, thepureness said:

I'm a little confused with the rules. Does this mean you can only build something from 1945 only and that was used around VE and VJ day. 

Does this mean the rest of the war is out of bounds 

The GB is about marking the end of hostilities, not the struggle to get there.  There are plenty of other GBs which mark specific periods during the war (e.g. the forthcoming Battle of Britain GB), so why not one to mark those last desperate months?

In other words you can only build something around VE Day to around VJ Day, the rest of the war is out.

• 4 weeks later...

Well that's me done with the Ju188 A-1. I will see if I can get better images once the weather clears up.  

Thanks to the hosts for setting it up which encouraged me to have a go at this model. Although it is not perfect I'm  happy with the result.

Now I go to the BOB GB and do the Ju 88A-1 which is the first combat version of this family of Ju 88's. While the Ju 188A-1 is the last combat version.  

You might say I'm book ending the family.

I know it is late in the day but I would like to make a late run at this GB. My subject will be the Tempest Mk V of 122 Wing Leader Rosie Mackie at the end of the war in Europe. There is discussion of it here on Britmodeller, which leads me to conclude it should be eligible. Airfix certainly thought so with their reboxing of the Heller kit, which is what I intend to use. I'm thinking to modify the Airfix scheme to a pre VE day 2nd TacAF scheme as found in this Ventura page mentioned in the BM page linked to.

Steve.

On 16/07/2020 at 12:43, stevehnz said:

I know it is late in the day but I would like to make a late run at this GB. My subject will be the Tempest Mk V of 122 Wing Leader Rosie Mackie at the end of the war in Europe. There is discussion of it here on Britmodeller, which leads me to conclude it should be eligible. Airfix certainly thought so with their reboxing of the Heller kit, which is what I intend to use. I'm thinking to modify the Airfix scheme to a pre VE day 2nd TacAF scheme as found in this Ventura page mentioned in the BM page linked to.

Steve.

Steve,

Go for it mate, Rosie Mackie's Tempest definitely fits the bill.

Crack on son!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just out of Curiosity whats the best option for a Kamikaze aircraft,  Zero or something else ? And in 1/72 possible best kit ? I may try a whirlwind build for a Kamikaze 

There is the Eduard 1/48 Ki 115, or perhaps the Fine Molds 1/48 Ohka. You could do Matome Ugkai's D4Y3 Judy in 1/72 that he flew in during the last Kamikaze raid of the war. There is also the famous picture of the Yokosuka Wllow with the 44gal tank in the back seat. Or perhaps pick a picture of a Zero at wars end and build to it, there were something like 5000 aircraft kept in reserve for the Invasion of Japan by Ugaki, so pretty much anything but for the most advanced fighters (Ki 84, 44, ShindenKais etc) would be allocated to the Kamikaze role.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bugger. In between work and family I’ve run out of time And never got my build going. Will have to save my spitfire 21 to build it as an own build or for another build.

Have been watching and enjoying the other builds so thanks to the organisers for this GB, Just a shame I didn’t get mine done...

21 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

Bugger. In between work and family I’ve run out of time And never got my build going. Will have to save my spitfire 21 to build it as an own build or for another build.

Have been watching and enjoying the other builds so thanks to the organisers for this GB, Just a shame I didn’t get mine done...

I said in my first post I would be unlikely to be able to participate due to my studies and this has proved to be the case sadly, so I quite understand your situation.

I too have been enjoying watching the builds, thanks to those who were able to participate.

Remember, this GB closes at midnight tonight!

Finally, thanks to @Enzo Matrix

for stepping into the breach and taking over as GB host.

• Like 1