Journey's End - VE to VJ Day Chat

Wez

7 hours ago, Marcel said:

Started a couple of years ago but definitely under those 20%:

I'm not convinced that taking the parts off the sprues counts as "started".  :lol:   I don't think that's even at the 1% mark.  :thumbsup:  

2 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Just ordered a Revellogram P-47N for this. Should be fun. :penguin:

Good choice of subject, right in the zone.

The GB starts this Friday, hopefully you'll get it in time to start.

Hi Wez and Enzo

Wondering if I might join this Group Build with this?

FILE0408.jpg

Late 1944 (Nov-Dec) The RNZAF received 4 Sunderland Mk III' s configured as transports

I had stated this as a WIP in the forums (didn't really take off (pun intended :D),

so thought this would be great place to do so - I think I cut the fuselage halves of and no more

The Mk III's operated up to and past VJ Day in supply to NZ Military personnel in the

SW Pacific, and then repatriation duties after VJ Day

Thanks

Alan

1 hour ago, MARADER said:

I want to build a model Goliath Sd.kfz 302. Does it befit to the rules?

Well Marader, providing you can prove it fits within Rule.3, which is...

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day (e.g. between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45).

...then it's eligible.  Rule 8 applies here...

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

8 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Wez and Enzo

Wondering if I might join this Group Build with this?

FILE0408.jpg

Late 1944 (Nov-Dec) The RNZAF received 4 Sunderland Mk III' s configured as transports

I had stated this as a WIP in the forums (didn't really take off (pun intended :D),

so thought this would be great place to do so - I think I cut the fuselage halves of and no more

The Mk III's operated up to and past VJ Day in supply to NZ Military personnel in the

SW Pacific, and then repatriation duties after VJ Day

Thanks

Alan

YES!

This is an eligible subject, sounds like you're less than 25% built too so welcome along Alan.

Room for more inside, this GB starts THIS Friday!

Edited by Wez

9 hours ago, Wez said:

This is an eligible subject, sounds like you're less than 25% built too so welcome along Alan.

Thanks Wez,

I'll start a Build Thread in the next day or so :thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

OK folks, today marks the day 75 years ago that an evil and despotic regime was finally overcome after almost six years of bitter struggle, the Journey's End had begun, it wouldn't finally end for another three months or so with the defeat of the enemy in the Far East, but the final destination was in sight!

This GB commemorates that struggle, all are welcome, victors and vanquished.

Those of you that have already signed up can start their builds.

Those of you who are undecided, the rules are as follows:

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day (e.g. between 8/4/45 to 15/8/45).

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day (e.g. 8/5/45 to 15/9/45).

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

If you can find something that fits the bill, land, sea or air, come and join us.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

On 06/05/2020 at 22:31, MARADER said:

Jagdpanzer 38 "Hetzer". Berlin, May 1945. Does this variant befit?

Missed this question, sorry Marader!

Yes absolutely spot on, bang in the zone!  If that's what you want to make then welcome to the GB, get yourself across to here and start a build thread.

• Like 1

A good start to the GB, after the first weekend with twenty build threads already covering AFVs, a ship as well as aircraft which is great to see and very encouraging, thanks to all of those that have started.

We have British & Commonwealth, American, German, French and Japanese subjects, there's plenty of variety although it would be nice to see some more of the latter.

Remember this GB is slightly shorter than a regular GB so don't go thinking you've got plenty of time.

Plenty of room for more in this GB.

Edited by Wez

6 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Hmm, I think I will do something Japanese after the P-47. Maybe a Ki-84 or something like that.

Nice choice.

@Wez Could I get a clearance on this one?

I've found reference of the 477th Bombardment Squadron operating out of Italy from late '43 through September '45, which spans the timeline.  As far as I know the specific airframe I'm considering survived until the end, but haven't been able to 100% confirm it.  Haven't quite pulled the trigger on the decals yet, but getting very close.

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/USAAF/321st_Bombardment_Group.html

5 hours ago, helios16v said:

@Wez Could I get a clearance on this one?

I've found reference of the 477th Bombardment Squadron operating out of Italy from late '43 through September '45, which spans the timeline.  As far as I know the specific airframe I'm considering survived until the end, but haven't been able to 100% confirm it.  Haven't quite pulled the trigger on the decals yet, but getting very close.

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/USAAF/321st_Bombardment_Group.html

Chris the unit was certainly active in the appropriate timeline sot that's good, also the push from the south often gets overlooked so there's another reason for it to be in the GB, you just need to find some decals from an aircraft that was active at that time...

On 08/05/2020 at 07:25, Wez said:

Hmmm..  could  I build it in 2 months ?  Should I even attempt it ?

44-86292  is sitting in a box waiting to be built,  possibly the second most famous

airframe of all time ( after the Wright Flyer ) and definitely in-theatre ....  what do you say, should I try it ?

Good afternoon Wez

If you agree I would like to represent George Botswick's P 47M Thunderbolt

200526014254537954.jpg

He scored the last of his 8+ kills in april 1945

http://p47pilots.com/P47-Pilots.cfm?c=incP47BiographyHome.cfm&vm=BIO&pilotid=43&p=George E. Bostwick

I plan to convert the Tamiya P47 D into an M model  and I have already ordered the Techmod decals sheet

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/techmod-72109s-republic-p-47d-m-thunderbolt--187453..

Best Regards

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Wez

If you agree I would like to represent George Botswick's P 47M Thunderbolt

Go for it Patrice, more than happy to see another Thunderbolt in this GB.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wez said:

Go for it Patrice, more than happy to see another Thunderbolt in this GB.

Good morning Wez

Thank you I will start it when I finish the 2 Spitfire that I am currently building ..

Best Regards

Patrice

Three weeks into the GB, 25 build threads started though some of us have yet to make any progress (myself included :blush:).

First to finish is @DaveyGair with his lovely rendition of the 1/72nd Heller Tempest, his build thread is here.

If you haven't started yet there's still time.

If you haven't signed up yet, here's the rules...

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day (e.g. 8/5/45 to 15/9/45).

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Hello all. I have an ISU 152 that has Berlin markings as well as Poland. 

Can I join? 

Vaastav, providing you can confirm it's within the dates for the ETO:

On 31/05/2020 at 06:53, Wez said:

Then it would be very welcome!

17 minutes ago, Wez said:

Vaastav, providing you can confirm it's within the dates for the ETO:

Then it would be very welcome!

Yes. It is very much during the dates. 

5 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

Yes. It is very much during the dates. 

Then welcome along!