Journey's End - VE to VJ Day Chat

Wez

3 hours ago, Wez said:

GB's are time limited.

Gidday Wez, that's something I didn't think of. I'd guessed a GB can't start early but do they have to be completed by the finish date? Considering other life commitments, sometimes unforeseeable? I've noticed in previous posts (eg post #51) different dates, ETOs and PTOs. Please excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what these abbreviations mean, although they appear to me to be dates regarding the subject matter rather than build dates. Regards, Jeff.

4 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

different dates, ETOs and PTOs. Please excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what these abbreviations mean, although they appear to me to be dates regarding

ETO = European Theater of Operations

PTO = Pacific Theater of Operations

The dates are concerning the time frame for the models allowed in the build. The subject matter had to be used at some point during those dates. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Avereda said:

Oh why not. I’ve got a Revell Spitfire in the stash that was stationed at Klagenfurt between May-September 1945, seems like it would fit the bill.

Yes it would, welcome along.

14 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Wez, that's something I didn't think of. I'd guessed a GB can't start early but do they have to be completed by the finish date? Considering other life commitments, sometimes unforeseeable? I've noticed in previous posts (eg post #51) different dates, ETOs and PTOs. Please excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what these abbreviations mean, although they appear to me to be dates regarding the subject matter rather than build dates. Regards, Jeff.

The dates the GB will run are starting on the 8th May and finishing by the 15th August thus marking VE and VJ days respectively.

Eligible dates for subjects are ETO: 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45, so European based subjects must be verified to be in that theatre for the former dates, Burma/Far East/Indian Ocean subjects the latter two dates.

Hope this clears things up?

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gidday, I've been reading other GB threads in the chat section and I think I've found answers to some of my questions. (Amazing what a little research comes up with 🙂). It appears that GBs CAN be commenced early but not more than 25% completed by the start day. I guess that can prevent modelers with nothing on the bench from going troppo waiting for the start date. And my other question, it doesn't have to be completed by the finish date, although I would certainly try.

At your convenience could someone please confirm I've got this right, or correct me if I have it wrong. But no hurry, we have until May next year! 😁 Regards, Jeff.

Correct.  The "completion date" is to be eligible to entry in the GB gallery.  There is nothing to prevent you from taking longer than the allotted time (which is usually 3 months or so).  Lord knows I seldom get mine finished.....Hell I'm still working on one from last year!  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I've been reading other GB threads in the chat section and I think I've found answers to some of my questions. (Amazing what a little research comes up with 🙂). It appears that GBs CAN be commenced early but not more than 25% completed by the start day. I guess that can prevent modelers with nothing on the bench from going troppo waiting for the start date. And my other question, it doesn't have to be completed by the finish date, although I would certainly try.

At your convenience could someone please confirm I've got this right, or correct me if I have it wrong. But no hurry, we have until May next year! 😁 Regards, Jeff.

As Chris says, if you complete in time you can put your entry into the gallery where it can be much admired and enter into the poll for the favourite model of the GB, if it's not complete, you can't.

Much as I like to see finished models, sometimes the process is just as much fun, you can learn so much this way.

Now if you happen to start a model and the build stalls and you decide to pick it up for this GB, well, providing it's less than 25% complete at the beginning of the GB it can participate in the GB.  Your genial hosts are the arbiters of whether something is eligible (that's me and Enzo Matrix in case you were wondering).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

Correct.  The "completion date" is to be eligible to entry in the GB gallery.  There is nothing to prevent you from taking longer than the allotted time (which is usually 3 months or so).  Lord knows I seldom get mine finished.....Hell I'm still working on one from last year!  :whistle:

It's like looking in a mirror!  :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

Are Japanese combat planes, which were operational during this period, admitted?

Absolutely!  I expect them to be in the GB!

The rules are:

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day.

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

Edited by Wez

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Erwin said:

I can join with this...

1237026-27767-49-pristine.jpg

On 13/11/2019 at 22:12, Wez said:

Eligible dates for subjects are ETO: 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45, so European based subjects must be verified to be in that theatre for the former dates, Burma/Far East/Indian Ocean subjects the latter two dates.

So basically, providing it was in service between 8th May and 15th September 1945 it's eligible

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'll be in with the Revell/Matchbox "Monty's Caravan"

One of the markings options is "Soltan-Germany, 1945" which after some quick research should be "Soltau" (Luneberg Heath) 

So it was definitely in the British Army order of battle!

IanJ

20 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

I think I'll be in with the Revell/Matchbox "Monty's Caravan"

One of the markings options is "Soltan-Germany, 1945" which after some quick research should be "Soltau" (Luneberg Heath) 

So it was definitely in the British Army order of battle!

IanJ

Ian,

That would be very welcome and entirely appropriate, thanks for signing up.

Anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Elmerfudd said:

Yo peeps, can you add me in - going for a PT-17 Kaydet.

Ta,

Pete

Pete,  Welcome and added.

Interesting choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just thinking about what to do for this GB, and I think I have a candidate. 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/messerschmitt-me262-b1a-1-72.html

This kit comes with two schemes, but one has alternative RAF roundels to the German markings as the Luftwaffe aircraft depicted was captured and tested by the British. Certainly a possibility. 

Another candidate is one I saw in the Ju87 STGB, the last combat mission flown by one was against German troops refusing to surrender, a few weeks after VE day. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Was just thinking about what to do for this GB, and I think I have a candidate. 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/messerschmitt-me262-b1a-1-72.html

This kit comes with two schemes, but one has alternative RAF roundels to the German markings as the Luftwaffe aircraft depicted was captured and tested by the British. Certainly a possibility. 

Another candidate is one I saw in the Ju87 STGB, the last combat mission flown by one was against German troops refusing to surrender, a few weeks after VE day. 

Both of which sound good to me, just check your dates for their eligibility.

This looks a perfect GB for for my Revell Halifax B Mk III /VII kit

It has the markings for 644 Sqn. NA337, 2P-X   which was delivered on March 5th 1945 and unfortunately lost on a mission April 23rd 1945 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

This looks a perfect GB for for my Revell Halifax B Mk III /VII kit

It has the markings for 644 Sqn. NA337, 2P-X   which was delivered on March 5th 1945 and unfortunately lost on a mission April 23rd 1945 

The inspiration for the GB name came from this book, so yes, your Halifax is entirely appropriate for this GB.

Welcome.

Any more takers?

The GB is going ahead so you may as well join us.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Time to commit on which Seafire III I’m building.  

Vickers Supermarine Seafire III LR866/S121, 887 NAS 24th NFW HMS Indefatigable Japan Aug-45.  

15.08.45 2 x Mitshibushi A6M Zero Destroyed, 0.5 Mitsibushi A6M Zero Shared Destroyed. SLt Victor Lowden. 

You can’t get much closer to the end of the war than that..

Now all I have to do is finish the Hurricane I Trop. on the bench and the Fulmar & Skua for the ‘In the Navy GB’ and I’ll be ready...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I've always wanted to build one of the two P-80's that flew in Italy at the end of WW2 I think there are suitable kits from Hobbyboss.

Great subject choice, welcome to the GB.

17 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Time to commit on which Seafire III I’m building.  

Vickers Supermarine Seafire III LR866/S121, 887 NAS 24th NFW HMS Indefatigable Japan Aug-45.  

15.08.45 2 x Mitshibushi A6M Zero Destroyed, 0.5 Mitsibushi A6M Zero Shared Destroyed. SLt Victor Lowden. 

You can’t get much closer to the end of the war than that..

Now all I have to do is finish the Hurricane I Trop. on the bench and the Fulmar & Skua for the ‘In the Navy GB’ and I’ll be ready...

Great choice of subject, it will make a change from Hellcats and Corsairs.

To anyone else wondering what this GB is about, here are the rules:

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day.

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

9.  Timelines for entries are ETO: 8/4/45 to 15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45, so European based subjects must be verified to be in that theatre for the former dates, Burma/Far East/Indian Ocean subjects the latter two dates.

We hope to see plenty more of you joining in.