Journey's End - VE to VJ Day Chat

Wez

12 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Wez,

I am all up for this but am struggling to understand the dates. Do the rules mean:

ETO: 8/4/45 to15/8/45

and

PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45

or is it:

ETO 8/4/45 to 8/5/45

and

PTO: 15/8/45 to 15/9/45

Or something other? Pardon the density.

Alan  

Alan,

Welcome along, I hadn't thought to make the dates so difficult but you're right, it needs some clarification, I'm going with:

and

I want to capture the immediate lead up to the significant dates and the immediate aftermath.  Also, this way it doesn't favour one theatre over the other.

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Sign me up! 

Coincidentally, 8th of May is my birthday and I for once get a bank holiday rather than missing the may one by as little as one day! 

Axis stuff acceptable for this GB? Late war Luftwaffe subjects are quite interesting, although I feel that I really should do something British.

Welcome along Adam, not only do you get a bank holiday for your birthday, you get a GB too - you lucky boy!

Any other takers out there?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Yes, something flung up in desperation ion a futile defence of the reich by the Luftwaffe or Hannah Reitschs Feisler Storch last flight out of Berlin....

Exactly that sort of thing yes!

Wanna play?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wez said:

Alan,

Welcome along, I hadn't thought to make the dates so difficult but you're right, it needs some clarification, I'm going with:

and

I want to capture the immediate lead up to the significant dates and the immediate aftermath.  Also, this way it doesn't favour one theatre over the other.

Thanks Wez. That was what I hoped you meant. I think its got to be a 19 squadron mustang in Peterhead for me,

Alan

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Yes please!

Name duly added to the list.

13 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Thanks Wez. That was what I hoped you meant. I think its got to be a 19 squadron mustang in Peterhead for me,

Alan

Nice choice, just the sort of thing I was hoping to see!

Anyone else interested?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, wellzy said:

Hi Wez  , Add my name please ,P 47 or P 51 always top of my list 

Cheers wellzy

Added to the list my friend, either subject would be very welcome and fit the bill.

If anyone else is thinking about signing up the rules are:

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day.

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

9.  ETO subjects must fall into the timeline 8/4/45 to15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45 - dates are UK format.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Or both...

Awwwww, come on!  You knew I woz gonna say it!  :fool: 

As you can tell, in addition to host, I'm also Enzo's straight man, feeding lines for the comedy genious to work his magic!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Wez said:

Added to the list my friend, either subject would be very welcome and fit the bill.

If anyone else is thinking about signing up the rules are:

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day.

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

9.  ETO subjects must fall into the timeline 8/4/45 to15/8/45 and PTO: 8/5/45 to 15/9/45 - dates are UK format.

Hi Wez, Looking at  at a P47D  368FG  in Frankfurt 1945 but will check  dates

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/09/2019 at 07:56, Valkyrie said:

Yes, something flung up in desperation ion a futile defence of the reich by the Luftwaffe or Hannah Reitschs Feisler Storch last flight out of Berlin....

Hannah Reitschs didn't fly the Storch out of Berlin. In fact she only landed it on the way in when her boyfriend was wounded at the last minute.  She lent over him from the back seat and landed like that. I think they left in an Arado after seeing the nasty man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I should sign up for this, reading Max Hastings "Armageddon" just now ,& thinking of a T34.85 I didn't mean to buy last year, I'll have to find one that did some lurking around Berlin on the due dates, I'm sure they're out there. :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I guess I should sign up for this, reading Max Hastings "Armageddon" just now ,& thinking of a T34.85 I didn't mean to buy last year, I'll have to find one that did some lurking around Berlin on the due dates, I'm sure they're out there. :)

Steve.

Good man, I've added your name to the list.  It would be an excuse to make that clunky, tracky, targety thing.

8 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Hannah Reitschs didn't fly the Storch out of Berlin. In fact she only landed it on the way in when her boyfriend was wounded at the last minute.  She lent over him from the back seat and landed like that. I think they left in an Arado after seeing the nasty man.

Is this your way of expressing an interest?  There's plenty of room inside...

...talking of which, anyone else up for this?

• Like 1

Yes, I will say put me down. I could do the Meteor for it.

On the Storch comment.  It is a common mistake that she flew the Storch out of the city. So I like to correct it. I have done a lot of reading on this in incident because I made a Storch for CFS3 and made this mission. I created all the Russian tanks for it and a friend made the effects. So when you flew into Berlin the place was burning everywhere.  In fact on my first test flight I got hit at the same general location that they did and had to land the plane the hard way. It was really spooky.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Ohhhh...   why did you have to say that?  :weep:

I've already got three choices for this GB.  And now I have a maniac running round in my head screaming "Meteor!   Meteor!   Meteor!   Meteor! "  :frantic:

• Haha 1

On 08/11/2019 at 18:44, Greg Law said:

Your name is duly added to the list, thank you.

On 08/11/2019 at 19:16, Enzo Matrix said:

Ohhhh...   why did you have to say that?  :weep:

I've already got three choices for this GB.  And now I have a maniac running round in my head screaming "Meteor!   Meteor!   Meteor!   Meteor! "  :frantic:

So by your own logic, it looks to me you've got three other subjects and four Meteors to build now!  You're going to be mighty busy :wicked:

Roll up!  Roll up!  Anyone else want to join this madness?  You don't have to make as many kits as Enzo, just one will do!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Would a Betty bomber with Ohka manned missile fit the bill ?

Cheers Pat

Yes it would, typical of the desparate measures taken towards the end.  Just make sure you can pin the markings to the timeline (I'm sure you will).

I've taken the diabolical liberty of adding your name to the list.

Anyone else up for this?

• Thanks 1

Gidday, I've never participated in a group build with Britmodeller before but I'm interested in this one. A question if I may? Does the build have to be a kit or are scratch-builds allowed? Warships in 1/600 scale are my main interest and I have in mind doing a model of the destroyer Hugh W Hadley DD774. She was a Sumner class destroyer that had a short working life, the pinnacle of which was reached on 11 May 1945 when she and the rest of her group at 'radar picket station 15' off Okinawa were attacked by 156 Japanese aircraft. In the space of about 95 minutes the Hadley alone accounted for 23 aircraft - 20 shot down and 3 kamikazes that hit her, one being an Ohka launched from a Betty bomber (see Jockney's post above). The Hadley survived the ordeal but was never repaired.

Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
typing error
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I've never participated in a group build with Britmodeller before but I'm interested in this one. A question if I may? Does the build have to be a kit or are scratch-builds allowed? Warships in 1/600 scale are my main interest and I have in mind doing a model of the destroyer Hugh W Hadley DD774. She was a Sumner class destroyer that had a short working life, the pinnacle of which was reached on 11 May 1945 when she and the rest of her group at 'radar picket station 15' off Okinawa were attacked by 156 Japanese aircraft. In the space of about 95 minutes the Hadley alone accounted foe 23 aircraft - 20 shot down and 3 kamikazes that hit her, one being an Ohka launched from a Betty bomber (see Jockney's post above). The Hadley survived the ordeal but was never repaired.

Regards, Jeff.

First off, welcome to Group Builds Arnold!  Fair warning.....the place is addictive.  I hardly ever venture out of here as the peeps hanging around here just rock.

As to you question about scratch building.....I'm 99% sure you will be welcomed with it....probably enthusiastically.  I am not aware of any group build specifically requiring it to be a kit unless is was centered around a specific type (ie: Vac Kits).  You'll likely have some interested followers on it.  Full scratchbuilds are something I'm guessing a lot of us (I can really only speak for myself) feel is beyond our skill level and therefore love to see it to get ideas on how the though processes work to maybe trying something of the sort (on a smaller scale) in the future.

• Thanks 2

Thanks Chris, my 'scratch-builds' up to now I would describe as hybrids, not true scratch-builds, as I've used the hull shells of kits (usually Airfix "Ajax" hulls) and built up from them. This would be my first 'true' scratch-built ship (discounting those done as toys etc) so if I do this it would be a learning curve for me also. It won't be very big. The ship was 376 feet long (oa) with a beam of 41 feet. At my scale this would be about 190 x 20 mm in size, hardly a monumental build. But I like all my ships to be the same scale for comparison. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I've never participated in a group build with Britmodeller before but I'm interested in this one. A question if I may? Does the build have to be a kit or are scratch-builds allowed? Warships in 1/600 scale are my main interest and I have in mind doing a model of the destroyer Hugh W Hadley DD774. She was a Sumner class destroyer that had a short working life, the pinnacle of which was reached on 11 May 1945 when she and the rest of her group at 'radar picket station 15' off Okinawa were attacked by 156 Japanese aircraft. In the space of about 95 minutes the Hadley alone accounted foe 23 aircraft - 20 shot down and 3 kamikazes that hit her, one being an Ohka launched from a Betty bomber (see Jockney's post above). The Hadley survived the ordeal but was never repaired.

Regards, Jeff.

This would fit in nicely.  Welcome.

12 hours ago, helios16v said:

First off, welcome to Group Builds Arnold!  Fair warning.....the place is addictive.  I hardly ever venture out of here as the peeps hanging around here just rock.

As to you question about scratch building.....I'm 99% sure you will be welcomed with it....probably enthusiastically.  I am not aware of any group build specifically requiring it to be a kit unless is was centered around a specific type (ie: Vac Kits).  You'll likely have some interested followers on it.  Full scratchbuilds are something I'm guessing a lot of us (I can really only speak for myself) feel is beyond our skill level and therefore love to see it to get ideas on how the though processes work to maybe trying something of the sort (on a smaller scale) in the future.

Chris is absolutely correct, such a build would be very welcome, I hope you have enough time to finish it though, GB's are time limited.

Anyone else up for this?

• Like 1