Journey's End - VE to VJ Day Chat

Wez

Hi all,

I'm proposing a group build topic that I certainly can't host and I'm unlikely to even be able to participate in due to the timing but I think it's too important not to mark the event.  I can't believe it hasn't already been suggested!

Next year will be the 75th anniversary of the the Second World War, VE Day is the 8th of May and VJ Day the 15th of August.

I feel there should be a GB to mark these significant dates and maybe the immediate period just after those dates to allow for subjects covering the respective surrenders.

I'm hoping one of you brave souls will take this on, sadly, but for me, equally fortunately, I'll be in the final throes of a six year degree course which I really need to concentrate on, otherwise I would do it myself.

Any takers as host's first and foremost?

EDIT:

@Enzo Matrix has concurred this GB will be included in next year's GBs because of its historical significance.

The rules are:

1.  The dates the GB itself will run will be 8th May to 15th of August 2020 (VE to VJ Day).

2.  Open to anything that was used on land, sea and air from any participant in either theatre is acceptable.

3.  Equipment and units in use in the month prior to VE Day is acceptable but they must be in the order of battle for VE Day.

4. Equipment and units in use for a month after VJ Day are acceptable but again they must be on the order of battle for VJ Day.

5. Equipment and units present in the occupying forces are acceptable (providing they were on the OrBat), European ones will have a backstop of VJ-Day.

6.  Captured equipment taken over by the victors are allowed providing they fall within the timelines permitted.

7.  Equipment used to repatriate PoW's are acceptable, again, providing they fall within the timelines.

8.  The onus will be on the modeller to provide evidence that their subject is in keeping with the rules.

So far, the following have signed up:

1.  Wez - Host

2.  Corsairfoxfouruncle - the first of the gang!

3.  Enzo - Co-host

4. Grey Beema

5. Helios 16v

6. Robert Stuart

7. TEMPESTMK5

8. Frankly Boy

9. CliffB

10. Valenstitch

11. Angus Stura

12. vppelt68

13. Arniec

14. Torbjorn

15. Angus Stura

16. Adam Poultney

17. Valkerie

18. Wellzy

19. Stevehnz

20. Greg Law

21. Jockney

22. ArnoldAmbrose

23. Avereda

24. DukeS

25. Bonhoff

26. Elmerfudd

27. RJ-WobblyHands

28. stevej60

29. reini

30. Brad

31. Rafwaffe

32. Marcel

33. LDSModeller

34. MARADER

35...   ???

• Like 3

Question for the BM Massive.

If this GB were to go ahead, how would you feel about it being two weeks shorter than normal?  That way it could start on Friday 8 May and finish on Saturday 15 August.

• Like 2

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Which I may have let go to my head a little...   :fool: 

I feel that this is such an important anniversary that it should be marked in some fashion.  I have decided, like the Battle of Britain GB, to take it out of contention for the bunfight and award it a special slot in 2020.

@Wez will be the named host.  I will be co-host and beast of burden. 

The rules will be refined over the next few months, but I'm sure we can come up with something suitable and respectful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2019 at 20:23, Enzo Matrix said:

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Which I may have let go to my head a little...   :fool: 

I feel that this is such an important anniversary that it should be marked in some fashion.  I have decided, like the Battle of Britain GB, to take it out of contention for the bunfight and award it a special slot in 2020.

@Wez will be the named host.  I will be co-host and beast of burden. 

The rules will be refined over the next few months, but I'm sure we can come up with something suitable and respectful.

Enzo,

Thank you, I'm glad you agree.  Be prepared for a heavy burden!

I'll drop you a line with my thoughts about rules over the next week or so.

As for the rest of you, who's signing up for this?

So far we have...

1.  Wez - Host

2.  Corsairfoxfouruncle - the first of the gang!

3.  Enzo - Co-host

4. Grey Beema

5. Helios 16v

6. Robert Stuart

7. TEMPESTMK5

8. Frankly Boy

9. CliffB

10. Valenstitch

11. Angus Stura

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

I'm up for a Hurricane in next years BOB GB - FAA Pilot S/Lt DM Jeram, one of the Few amongst the Few,  so I need to wrap around that. 

For the D-Day GB I'm just about to join with a Seafire III NN342/3A from the spotting pool flown by Lt RM Crosley but what I'm thinking for this GB is either Lt Cmdr RM Crosley's Seafire III PR259/N115 HMS Implacable Japan Jul-'45 or one of the Seafires from the last combat over Japan Aug '45.  Will either of those be eligible?

4 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I'm up for a Hurricane in next years BOB GB - FAA Pilot S/Lt DM Jeram, one of the Few amongst the Few,  so I need to wrap around that. 

For the D-Day GB I'm just about to join with a Seafire III NN342/3A from the spotting pool flown by Lt RM Crosley but what I'm thinking for this GB is either Lt Cmdr RM Crosley's Seafire III PR259/N115 HMS Implacable Japan Jul-'45 or one of the Seafires from the last combat over Japan Aug '45.  Will either of those be eligible?

Both sound good to me, I'll count you in then!

• Like 1

It's been added to the spreadsheet to keep tabs on it.  I'll have to see how the rest of the 2020 GBs fill out after the fall vote so I can set priorities.

9 hours ago, helios16v said:

It's been added to the spreadsheet to keep tabs on it.  I'll have to see how the rest of the 2020 GBs fill out after the fall vote so I can set priorities.

I've added you to the list.

Roll up, roll up! Plenty of room for more!

7 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

OK, I'm in - I have to be (I proposed something similar, but that died - this looks like a runner though :) )

I've signed you up, I'm sorry I missed your thread on the subject, I did look back but obviously not far enough.

Any more takers?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hello Wez

Please count me in ..

Patrice

Patrice,

I've added you to the list, welcome aboard.

Plenty of time to sign up, any more out there?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Would you be looking at things operated purely between the 2 dates or would you be looking at covering the run up to VE and VJ day by, say, one month before?

Short answer is that I hadn't given it that level of thought.

I did think it could run from VE Day to slightly after VJ Day to allow it to run for the full 4 months but that diminishes the significance of VJ Day, so Enzo's suggestion that it would be a shorter GB to run between the significant dates commemorates those special dates.

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Put me down please.

This ones to important to miss, love the BoB GB.

Thanks 

James

Welcome James, thanks for signing up.

Anyone else in for this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Sounds like it's time for me to break out the Super Fortress.  Sign me up please :)

All signed up Cliff

Any more for any more?

• Thanks 1