First Spit! Revell 1/72 Mk Vb

After completing my first model, The Revell 1/400 Titanic back in 2017, everything went downhill a bit.  I goofed a model I was working on and lost my mojo.  As ever, life got in the way before I could get it back.  Finally decided I need to use all this equipment I bought and crack on with the ever increasing number of kits in my stash!

This is the Revell 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vb.  Got it super cheap as part of a set with the paints and brushes.  Can't remember where from but I do remember thinking I need at least one Spitfire in my collection!  Choice of two builds, the clipped wing spitfire as shown on the box artwork or with the elliptical wings.  This is Spitfire AZ-G BL924 'Valdemar Atterdag' as flown by P/O Axel Svendsen.  Svendsen was shot down and killed by a Focke Wulf 190 over Berck-sur-Mer on the Channel Coast. He had logged 30 operational sorties and 26 hours on the Spitfire before his death.  The Spitfire and the pilot where gone forever but a full size replica does exist.

The kit itself is a mixed bag as many of you will know.  This is the 90's (I think?)version with no gullwing and a number of other errors.  Fit is poor in some places, not least where the gullwing should be but it does have a nice amount of detail.  Decals where fine and behaved for the most part.  And the canopy seemed to fit just fine.  It's an OOB build using Revell's recommended colours.  All airbrushed except the yellow strips on the wings and the stripe on the rear of the fuselage.  That decal was a nightmare!  

So, a number of firsts for this model.  First time with an airbrush.  First time trying to do cammo with blu tack.  First attempt at weathering....  Not the best looking of Spitfire's on display as I made many a schoolboy error, but i'm happy with how many of the things have turned out and I have developed some new skills to bring to my next models.  Hope you enjoy!

48121295647_f12088f1ac_h.jpg20190624_111651 

48121003122_823b6995c5_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

48121004717_af3585a3a2_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

48121003432_d7283159eb_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

48120945718_c03d2c229c_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

48121006197_16025ffdb7_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

48121007012_b3f17060d3_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

48120916696_30934337d3_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

48120917231_4b613e4589_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

48121008822_bc3928656e_h.jpgSpitfire Build June 2019 

Edited by BluesModeller
  • Like 15

4 hours ago, Natter said:

Love the 'in-flight' photo with the sun glinting off the canopy. 

Thanks Natter!

Just held the model up to some royalty free drone footage of fields on YouTube. Took me a while to figure out how to get some blur effects to make it look like the props are spinning.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Nothing wrong with that Spit mate,nice job....

Thanks Vince!

It’s given me some good practice for the other two in my stash!

I made a little display stand from a deep box photo frame and some fake grass.  Do you guys glue your models to it or just leave them resting on it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BluesModeller said:

Thanks Vince!

It’s given me some good practice for the other two in my stash!

I made a little display stand from a deep box photo frame and some fake grass.  Do you guys glue your models to it or just leave them resting on it?

I've painted some 28mm cavalry and just glued some grass to the glass of a picture frame then cleared the places i wanted to put them so they just rest on it so it can be used for aircraft as well.....

• Like 1

Great job on your first Spitfire.

One tip though. You've chipped the propeller blades as if they were metal. In fact on the Spitfire V they were made from a a wooden composite material. So no metal chips. Don't worry we've all been caught by that one. Also most weathering on a propeller occurs on the rear and leading edge not the front of the blades. 

Hope that helps. 

Ps I take no credit for the info, it was the late great Spitfire expert Edgar who let us know. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, noelh said:

Great job on your first Spitfire.

One tip though. You've chipped the propeller blades as if they were metal. In fact on the Spitfire V they were made from a a wooden composite material. So no metal chips. Don't worry we've all been caught by that one. Also most weathering on a propeller occurs on the rear and leading edge not the front of the blades. 

Hope that helps. 

Thanks for the tip Noelh!

Wooden props, would never have suspected that.  I still have a lot to learn about Spitfires and the changes between various types.

The only thing I knew for sure was Revell had completely failed to do the gullwing.  Such a beautiful piece of engineering and design and they didn’t even try to capture it.

I have a couple of 1/72 Airfix kits.  Hopefully they are more accurate regarding gullwing, etc as I will be doing at least one ‘in flight’.

Nice build with a number of 'firsts'!

One little piece of advice: keep the lid on the silver paint bottle thightly screwed on, and let it stay there. 😉 The "chipping" doesn't look convincing, and that's an understatement… :-D

Good effort all the same!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Nice build with a number of 'firsts'!

One little piece of advice: keep the lid on the silver paint bottle thightly screwed on, and let it stay there. 😉 The "chipping" doesn't look convincing, and that's an understatement… 😄

Good effort all the same!

Kind regards,

Joachim

It’s definitely a little OTT but in many respects this was about learning different techniques on a cheap kit so was always going to look a little ‘overcooked’  I’m happy with other aspects of weathering but the chipping is overdone.  Less is more is something I will take from this.