Tamiya 1:35 T-72M1 - Hungarian Army - First AFV Model in 35+ Years !

Ok Folks,

Go easy on me with this one. This is my first AFV model in over 35 years but I am an avid aircraft modeller (my main interest). I have come over to the 'dark side' for this model since one of my work colleagues is leaving us shortly and he used to 'drive' (actually Command) one or several of these in the Hungarian Army. Over the last three years he has presented some of our departing  work colleagues with nice pieces of modern art (his passion) so I decided it would be nice to repay all of that generosity with some more 'traditional' art (well from our BM perspective) so I have just completed this Tamiya kit for him. 

The kit is pretty much out of the box although I have added the Trumpeter Track links for their T72 family without much difficulty since I do not like the kit 'elastic bands'. I also replaced the plastic 'log' with a piece of real twig and sourced a HAD Models decal sheet for the Hungarian Army markings. After pre-shading, I used a Tamiya rattle can for the overall green scheme and then used a wide variety of washes and pigments. I have applied at least two shades of Flory Models clay washes and then pigments from Pinnacle Modelling (who sadly appear to be no longer in business) and some great new Spot-On shades from VMS. I also used some AK interactive stains and Tamiya weathering masters. I did not go overboard with the weathering - online images show these tanks in varying states dependent on the prevailing weather conditions and time of year - I opted for a tank engaged in operations over the summer months.

The relatively simple base was purchased on-line. I lined it with pollyfilla before giving it a liberal covering with two shades of Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint. The top layer is actually quite unique !. It is genuine Hungarian dirt, cooked in a Microwave (to sterilise it - something I learned on BM) and then sieved and fixed with Deluxe Materials Scatter Grip. The final touch was a scattering of grass tufts from a wargame supply company called 'The Army Painter'.

Comments and guidance are most welcome - This project has renewed my enthusiasm for AFVs so I am now looking forward to doing something for my own collection next - Probably a Croatian T-55 or a Vietnamese Type 59 from 1975. 

Thanks for Looking

fullsizeoutput_1206

fullsizeoutput_1207

fullsizeoutput_1202

fullsizeoutput_1203

fullsizeoutput_1204

fullsizeoutput_1205

• Like 14

Looking good... with regards to the groundwork... press in the track detail a bit behind the tank, so it doesn't seam to be dumped from the sky... otherwise a very nice model.

BTW: welcome to the dark side...

9 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Looking good... with regards to the groundwork... press in the track detail a bit behind the tank, so it doesn't seam to be dumped from the sky... otherwise a very nice model.

Silenoz,

Thanks for the tip......I had actually used the kit tracks to make some indentations in the Tamiya Diorama texture paint (which worked) but they then got 'lost' when I added the scatter glue and real grit. I have a little bit of time so I may try to replicate them again as you have suggested.

Mark

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 2:44 PM, Silenoz said:

Well, I've now made the presentation but beforehand I did manage to heed your advice and do some minor rework on the base and the groundwork. I must say it did look much better as a result.

fullsizeoutput_1383

IMG_2136

Thanks for the tip............which will be applied more effectively in my next build 🧐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1